Scooter
Community

Aprilia Sportcity 250 - which motors will fit?

Last post 02-13-2011 10:51 PM by Phoenix. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2011 04:17 PM

• Phoenix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2010
    • Perth, WA
    • Posts 8

Aprilia Sportcity 250 - which motors will fit?

I have a 2008 Sportcity 250ie with a worn crankshaft (only done 14500km). The labour costs plus parts add up enough to consider sourcing another motor from a wreckers. Since the motor is the Piaggio Quasar I'm wondering which other scooters have the same engine and would fit straight in. The list I've compiled at the moment would look like this (but please let me know if you think differently):

Aprilia Sportcity 250 and 300

Vespa 250 GTS

Piaggio Xevo 250, MP3

If I decide to get the current motor fixed then I'll likely source a new crank from overseas and have found that www.sip-scootershop.com seems to offer good prices but they list 2 cranks that fit my model and they're referred to as Category 1 and 2. Any ideas what this refers to?

Thanks guys.

FOLLOW-UP: I did eventually get the motor fixed with a replacement crankshaft that I ordered online from SIP scootershop - very efficient. The Aprilia dealer who did the work were far less efficient and took 3 months to get the crankshaft physically out of the engine so that we (well I) could see the stamps on the crankshaft webs that denoted that it was a Category 1 crankshaft. I'm finally up and running but the engine's still not quite right - it idles too high sometimes so I need to check for air leaks in the EFI system.

Filed under: , ,
  • 02-02-2011 07:00 PM In reply to

Re: Aprilia Sportcity 250 - which motors will fit?

Try some one like Scooter Wreckers they may have something or know which engine is a straight swap from other models http://www.scooterwreckers.com.au/aprilia_main.htm

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-02-2011 07:12 PM In reply to

• Phoenix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2010
    • Perth, WA
    • Posts 8

Thanks - I am actually in contact with them and he has a motor from a Piaggio MP3 but wasn't sure himself if it was the same so I thought I'd try to find out from the community. Cheers.

• 02-10-2011 03:42 PM In reply to

Just curious what part of the crank is worn? If you live in a large city have you looked at getting the crank flame sprayed to replace the metal that has been worn away? 

• 02-10-2011 04:02 PM In reply to

• Phoenix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2010
    • Perth, WA
    • Posts 8

That's a good point and I'd also wondered about getting the crank repaired. At the moment the scooter's in the workshop having the engine removed and crankcases split so as yet don't really know which part is worn. Once it's out I can certainly check around for the cost of a repair.

FYI. I have found out more details about the Category 1 and 2 crankshafts that are offered for my engine. It seems that the Category no. is not linked to any specific engine number ranges but there should be markings on the crankshaft itself which indicate the Category fitted. Another interesting point is that apparently the crankshaft bearings themselves are matched with the crankcases and are not available separately. This is pretty ridiculous as I'd planned to swap these out when changing the crank. 

I thought that the repair might be quite quick but 4 weeks on and I haven't even ordered the parts yet!

Cheers.

• 02-10-2011 04:29 PM In reply to

Phoenix:
    Another interesting point is that apparently the crankshaft bearings themselves are matched with the crankcases and are not available separately.

Unless Piaggio get a completely unique bearing made especially for them , which is unlikely, you can get the bearings at any decent bearing supply store. You may not know the number, also unlikely as it will be stamped on the side, but If you have one in your hand, they will measure it and give you one the same. 

More likely the bearings are pressed onto the crank and as scooter shops may not have such a press then it is simpler for Piaggio to supply the crank with bearings. 

• 02-12-2011 05:01 PM In reply to

great to meet you today when you came into the shop. i am soory that i couldn't help you. it was good to meet you though. i hope you have some luck with getting the scooter up and running.

argentum melle
  • 02-13-2011 10:51 PM In reply to

• Phoenix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2010
    • Perth, WA
    • Posts 8

Great to meet you too and very interesting to learn more about what scooter tuning involves!. Looking forward to getting my scooter sorted and on the road and maybe taking a trip with you guys.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au