Scooter
Community

Accelerating slightly whilst idling- Sym125

Last post 03-08-2011 01:35 PM by steve@ace. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-06-2011 04:38 PM

Accelerating slightly whilst idling- Sym125

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that my Sym Classic 125 seems to be slightly accelerating when idling (when i am not touching the throttle). I think from looking on the net that it might be that the Idle is set too high!?! Has anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers

• 03-06-2011 06:00 PM In reply to

Re: Accelerating slightly whilst idling- Sym125

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD AS GOSPEL!!!!

Now when mine was doing that I adjusted the idle mixture until it was at its highest rpm, then turned the idle screw back until the wheel only

just began to move when it was on the stand, and before the engine started to 'stutter', if you will.

So Idle mixture screw: where carby joins onto inlet manifold, there is a single flat head screw that if you turn it anti-clockwise

will adjust the idlemixture. If the revs go up, good, if they go down , bad.

The side of the carb where the accelerator cable is, the idle screw.

AGAIN:  WAIT UNTIL SOMEONE AGRESS WITH ME OR RIPS ME TO PIECES BEFORE YOU DO  OR DON'T DO THIS!!!

aww, damn! was that a spanner or part of the scooter??
  • 03-06-2011 06:15 PM In reply to

Is it doing it when the engine is cold and the choke is operating if thats the case hold scooter with the brake ..If its doing it when the engine is up to temperature turn the idle down slightly to stop it

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 03-07-2011 09:54 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advice!!! Will check it out over the weekend- it seems like it is maybe the first scenario as it only seems to be "slightly accelerating" for the first few minutes of the ride.

Will let you know how i go.....

• 03-08-2011 01:35 PM In reply to

It sounds like your idling simply needs to be adjusted.  When engines loosen up, the idling will naturally increase so it will need to be adjusted - normally carried out at the 1000km service.  We try and set the idling slightly lower when new as we know that the idling will improve to the right level over a few hundred km, but then you potentially might suffer from them cutting out when they are cold.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au