Scooter
Community

Interesting Experience

Last post 03-21-2011 10:16 PM by hank. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-19-2011 03:57 PM

Interesting Experience

There have been bad reports lately of Perth drivers being very impatient of & even aggressive towards learner drivers.

Riding away from picking up lunch today (raw salmon sushi that was mind blowingly good) I was just about run over by a L plater as he pulled aruond the corner almost on top of me without looking. Because of the positioning of the buildings I couldn't really see him coming. I gave the horn a good blast & as he stopped waiting to go out onto the road I rolled up next to his window & calmly said (struggling to control the adrenalin fuelled anger) "I know you're only learning, but next time could you please look before you come around a corner like that". I expected a grumble from what I assume was his mother in the passenger seat, but she was smiling so I gather she felt it was a good lesson for him to learn. He apologised, the mother encouraged me to enter the road infront of them & it was all good. Yes

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 03-19-2011 04:24 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Interesting Experience

I was riding phatVespa on Thursday morning along a straight stretch of road outside a Uni, following a P plater . They pulled off to the left of the road and just as I was about to pass proceeded to chuck a u turn in front of me. All I could see in front of me was white car. I yelled, swerved, braked, fish tailed across the double lines, swore and shat my self. I was sure I was going down. I must have been kissed by an angel coz I managed to miss the car and stay upright. The P plater continued their u turn across the double lines and drove off, no apology no acknowledegment of my near death experience.

I decided to follow her and give her an earfull. She ignored my tooting her and it was 2ks later that I finally caught up with her at a red light. I knocked on her window and told her that she had nearly killed me and to please use her eyes. She began to wave me away like I was a madman. What do you do? I just rode off shaking. It is really scary how easily a normal everyday ride can go pear shaped. I was so lucky.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-19-2011 04:31 PM In reply to

ugh. I've had a couple of those.

One was with a p plater like your experience. He indicated left, pulled left into the road, I started to overtake then hit the brakes & tried to swerve out of the way as he pulled back around towards me doing a uturn. I didn't have time to hit the horn or anything, we barely missed connecting. Once realising I had survived & was safe I gave a mighty blast of the stebel but I'm sure by that time it was too late.

The other was on a group ride, impatient cager (no p plate) overtook group on double white line, indicated left & pulled into the bicycle lane. As I came along side his door he started to pull right to do a uturn. Again, I barely missed being wiped out, the group was a little behind & hit their horns etc as the cager drove back past them but... I seriously doubt it had any effect.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 03-19-2011 05:35 PM In reply to

Last week in Kalgoorlie i was walking across the street when a P plater young girl that was angled parked started to reverse out  . i was way to the rear of her she pulled out at full speed  reversed a good 10 mtrs . Making muggings here have to jump out of the way then speed off maybe she will have better luck next time Big Smile I wish Big Smile

• 03-19-2011 07:17 PM In reply to

If he can do head check every single time, the car don't have to wear the learner sign anymore. Poor kid....... and have a safe ride (4wheels vs 2, the four always win)
  • 03-19-2011 08:38 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

oh wow, a "name them and shame them" thread happening. Wink

• 03-20-2011 12:41 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

Well like it or not , whether i be right/wrong or just plain insane , when i'm put in the same ugly situation as that pete , i do exactly as you did then when i get the response you did then i simply ride off with their R/H door mirror in my hand & drop it onto the road , as most modern car mirrors are expensive it usually gets their attention real quick , i figure it they want to persue it then i'll happily tell the judge why i did it, but thankfully  i've only resorted to that twice in near 25yrs , usually fronting them like you did is more than enough  for them to realise the error of there ways , but i remember the 1st mirror i tore off was because the car driver cut across straight in front of me , then when i caught him in traffic he proceeded  to wet himself laughing at what he'd done , how quick do you think the grin comes of an Audi drivers dial when he sees his expensive mirror disappear? .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 03-20-2011 05:29 PM In reply to

I don't go that far, bradr, but last year a woman passed me on the left by going up the bicycle lane, forcing me to swerve into the right lane when she moved over on me the bike lane ended and the road narrowed - and there was a red light 30m ahead. After I'd steadied myself, I slammed my palm into the car's boot (hurting my palm in the process ;) ), then pulled up alongside her and just waved my finger at her.

Don't think she'll ever try that trick again, and she let me ahead at the lights and kept well back from me.

I don't get angry often, but passing in the bike lane on my left whilst coming up to a red light was one step too far for me...

• 03-20-2011 05:53 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

i like riding infront of or behind tradies ,, seems to keep the bimbo texting p platers at bay,, an tradies are cool they just want to get home with all their gear intact

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 03-21-2011 05:27 PM In reply to

im cosidering musical airhorns to get attention. la cu caracha. it may be legendary....... watch this space.

aww, damn! was that a spanner or part of the scooter??
  • 03-21-2011 05:49 PM In reply to

Musical air horns are illegal to use on public roads Sad 

• 03-21-2011 05:52 PM In reply to

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

oh what a shame, and I was going to suggest that the macarena was probably the "in" tune for air horns these days, or perhaps for lovers of the madagascar movies, "I like to move it"

enjoy yourself its later than you think
  • 03-21-2011 06:02 PM In reply to

Before they became illegal the 5 trumpet maserati musical air horns were the go . In the UK in pre 1973 cars you can still use them Geeked

• 03-21-2011 07:32 PM In reply to

if you're riding along a road & a yobbo runs across the road straight at you looking like he's going to drag you off the scoot or do something violent is it legally acceptable to kick his legs out from under him as you pass by?  Ick!

My heart is still hammering it was so bloody close. I screamed like a banshee yelling at him him to go forth & procreate (putting it mildly) but I'm sure it would only have made him laugh. Angry

Wanda
  • 03-21-2011 07:57 PM In reply to

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

Many years ago when I was riding in Adelaide city I pulled up at traffic lights in the left hand lane waiting to turn left and a range rover pulled up in the right hand lane.  The female passenger of the range rover deicded to get out at the lights and just opened the door, collecting me and the scooter in the process.

As I am sure you can imagine I got up swining and swearing Police were called and they tried to arrest me!  If it wasn't for the tradie in the ute behind me that told the police what happened I'm sure they would have carted me off in the paddy wagon.

(I did have a shaved head and was wearing doc marten boots and a union jack denim jacket)

Range rover passenger said because of the height of her vehicle she hadn't seen me!!!!!  Needless to say she didn't get arrested for  causing me harm or damaging the bike!

enjoy yourself its later than you think
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au