Scooter
Community

Helmet, Jacket, Pants and Glove suggestions please

Last post 03-26-2011 09:14 PM by pyrah. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-25-2011 10:00 PM

Helmet, Jacket, Pants and Glove suggestions please

I'm a total beginner. I'll be getting my L's in a few weeks. I want to get some good gear. I am far more worried about safety and function rather than looks. I also don't want to overpay (or underpay). I'm looking for good quality value for money gear that will keep me warm, comfortable and, most importantly, safe in the event of a spill.

I assume that with a helmet I will need to go into a store and make sure the fit is 100%. I'd be happy to buy jacket, pants and gloves online if that's going to save me some money.

Please suggest some brands & models of helmets, jackets, pants and gloves that I should look at. Any that I should avoid?

Also, were is the best place in Melbourne for me to go in a buy a helmet. Do you agree that I can get the other stuff online? Which Australian websites carry decent gear and have decent prices?

--
    2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 250
  • 03-25-2011 11:39 PM In reply to

Re: Helmet, Jacket, Pants and Glove suggestions please

Try not to buy gear online as the fit must be precise for best protection and sizes and cuts vary greatly. You have Bikers Gear Warehouse down your way for a budget range of gear right up to the trendy scooter shops selling corazzo and momo gear. It really depends on your budget and taste. Down south you probably would want to buy winter and summer weight jackets.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 03-26-2011 10:28 AM In reply to

Hi melby,

I'm a newcomer too, but a tiny step ahead of you in the protective gear stakes. (Am also getting my licence in the next week or two). I've just bought my helmet, gloves and jacket this past week. When I started trying on jackets I went through 20 try-ons prior to finding one that fitted well all over and would save my skin. So personally I've discovered I can't buy those online. With my helmet, it was another discovery that while my hat size (female) is large to extra large, my helmet size is extra small. I never would've thought that, so probably wouldn't buy online for that either. Also, what I thought was a good fit wasn't good enough and I needed it tighter. Gloves - I tried on mediums, (I'm a nurse and accurately know what my hand size really is), but it was the small that fitted properly. So, if you're willing to take the chance that you might have to send things back, which can take a month for them to return another size, then buy online. To me that sounds too much like hard work. I also really appreciated being assisted with sizing by people who knew what they were talking about. I know nothing about this stuff, so might have ended up with things which didn't do their job when I come off. And let's face it that's what it's all about. In my experience (very limited) going to the physical shop - at least while we're so new to this - has been worth the travelling (for me from Wollongong to Sydney a few times). I'm really very glad I did.

Happy scootering and good luck with the licence! Smile

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 03-26-2011 08:15 PM In reply to

Wink  You could be sneaky and try the gear on in the shop then try to get same on line Stick out tongue 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-26-2011 08:38 PM In reply to

That's terrible Pyrah. Is that how they do it where you come from? (Can you save much $$$$$?? Wink I might give it a go).

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 03-26-2011 09:14 PM In reply to

you can find some good bargains if you shop about remember helmets need to have the AS sticker on the back so don't buy them from overseas

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au