Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Kymco Like 125???

Last post 04-07-2011 03:40 PM by pyrah. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-28-2011 12:46 PM

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Kymco Like 125???

Hey all,

I'm just after a bit of advice. I got my learners about about a month ago, and have been happily scootering around on my dads old Vespa PX200. However, the time has come for me to buy my own first scoot, I dont feel like the PX is a great scooter to learn on, its not that easy to ride and its not particularly practical either (it does make up for this with charm, but I need a daily driver!) I just dont feel very confident riding it...

So anyway I have been doing a fair bit of research, and having a look around, my budget is $3000AUD max. I visited a few dealers and for this price I can get a brand new (2010 model) Kymco Like 125 on road. I really like the look of this scooter, it feels (and is) about 3 generations more modern then the PX200 to ride. I'm just wondering what people think, I will use this scooter everyday as my main form of transport, do Kymco make reliable products? Is the Kymco brand going to be around in Australia for the long term, ensuring that I have access to parts etc?

The other one I have looked at is the Kymco Agility RS 125 which would be $2490 on road, also a nice little scooter in my opinion. Is there anything else I should be considering at this price range that compares with these two on size/power/practicality?

Thanks very much for any advice, appreciated!

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
    Filed under: , ,
  • 03-28-2011 01:47 PM In reply to

Re: Kymco Like 125???

Some one on the forum as just Bought a Kymco 125 Like so expect more feed back soon . The Sym 125 Classic is very similar so could be worth a look . something cheaper still with the classic look would be the Sachs Amici . SYM & Kymco have been in Australia a long time with a good name expect them to be around for a lot longer yet

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-28-2011 05:27 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Thanks for the advice, I checked out these two models that you mention, but wasn't drawn to them in the same way, I guess it really is a matter of subjective appeal :)

Does anyone know, is the Kymco like manufactured in Taiwan, or mainland China? I asked the dealer and he said he thinks that it's manufactured in Taiwan but wasn't sure. He said that as far as he knew the Agility RS 125 was manufactured in mainland China. The quality of booth appeared to be good to me, better then some of the other brands he stocked such as Mojo.

I test road the Agility RS, and considering the only other scooter I've ridden is a PX 200, I was blown away! So quite and smooth, and to me it felt more powerful, didn't rattle my brains out and I wasn't shrouded in black smoke :)  better breaks too. They didn't have a demo Like 125, so I couldn't ride it, he said to go back on Wednesday and he will have one I can test ride. If it goes and rides as well as the Agility RS I think I will buy :)

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 03-28-2011 05:32 PM In reply to

The TGB range is very good as well, the Bullet 150's are well made and have good service intervals.

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-3635-tgb-bullet-150.aspx

My pick for that budget would be the Sachs Amici $2700 on road, looks the goods and is physically smaller that the like which is a fairly large/squat scooter.

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-3380-sachs-amici-125-long-termer.aspx

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 03-28-2011 05:32 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Kymco and Sym are both Taiwanese built scooters. They make a lot of scooters in Tiawan and have got the 125 cc motor going pretty good. Although not the fastest 125's on the road, they are reliable, run well and are cheap. The biggest problem with them is their short service intervals which means that you usually spend a lot on servicing them if you get caught up in protecting their 3 year warranty. Despite that they produce a large range of models, and offer good choice as an entry level scoot. I'd stay away from the Chinese scoots at this stage.

A Tiawanese 125 will run all day at arterial road speeds, (80-90k/h) will get over 100k/h down a hill and 60/70k/h up the same hill. They'll give you 25+ks per litre of petrol. Theyre a great way to start but you wont get much when you try to sell it.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-30-2011 12:52 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

O.K. so today is the day. Afterwork I'm going to the dealer to purchase a scoot. I've settled on either the Kymco Like 125 of the Kymco Agility RS 125. I prefer the Like 125 over the agility in terms of looks, I think the booth ride well. The only reason I would get the Agility over the Like is because its about $600 cheaper...(It's not much for some people, but it is quite a lot for me haha)

What do people think? This is my first scooter, but I plan to keep it for a long time. Should I go with the more expensive scooter that I like more, or the cheaper one?

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 03-30-2011 03:33 PM In reply to

if you want the Like go for it as you plan to keep awhile it will be best to get the one you really want  Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-30-2011 07:52 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Sooo I took home my brand new, shiny, black Like 125 this afternoon. And I guess it's been love at first sight...haha. She is great! I've only had it a few hours, and have managed to put about 50km on it already haha, I can't stop!

Anyway, got to run now, she is calling to me again! I'll do a proper review once I've put some decent kms on her.

Happy scootering!

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 03-30-2011 07:56 PM In reply to

Big SmileYes 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-31-2011 07:13 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

So I picked it up at about 4pm yesterday...and I've now done 166km... Tongue Tied

I can't stop! It's not bad for the scooter to overdo it too much when its brand new is it? I mean in terms of distance, I'm not flooring it flat out from ligh to light.

Traffic is now fun!

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 03-31-2011 07:18 PM In reply to

No you bought it to use enjoy Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-31-2011 10:53 PM In reply to

Hi emil_io!

I'm (probably) the other person who has just bought a Like (to whom Pyrah referrred). Mine arrives tomorrow, and just reading your enthusiastic posts has made me even more excited!! I can't wait! Like you, I just really liked the look of it over a few others. It also had a nice few little extras which the others didn't have. Sounds like you bought yours from Scooterworld at Redfern? They're doing them for that price, and (they reckon) they have bought all the Likes available. I know Wollongong can't get any at all.

Let us know how it goes. We need some reviews on this scooter for the website. Happy riding!!! (It feels like Christmas Eve!!!! Can't wait! Big Smile ).

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 03-31-2011 11:59 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Hey Lizziecro,

Congratulations on your new scooter! I'm sure you will love it aas much as I do! I'm totally addicted now, haha. No, I live in the city, in Melbourne, got mine from scooterama in fitzroy, they just had a delivery on wednesday of a few Like's, there were some other dealers in the city that had them too, but the service was poor when I went there and they were more expensive (I'm 22 years old and a lot of the places didn't seem to take me seriously, I guess they just thought I was some kid after a free ride haha)

Anyway, wishing you all the best with you new scooter!

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 04-02-2011 09:12 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

According to the user manual for my Kymco Like 125, the first service should be at 300km, followed by one at 1000km and then every 2000km after that. But my dealer told me to bring it in for its first service between 500km and 1000km and then every 2000km after that....which one should a follow?

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 04-03-2011 01:16 AM In reply to

The dealers regime seams more reasonable but get it in writing that the extended servicing times will not effect the warranty

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au