Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

M.C.I. Riviera

Last post 02-22-2012 04:22 PM by Pete. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2011 11:49 AM

M.C.I. Riviera

August last year my wife went out looking at scooters for our son who was due to turn 16 on the 3rd of September unbeknowns to me she decided to buy a Riviera and from day one this scooter has been nothing but trouble so much so that we replaced it with a SYM sportjet 50 and so far this has been a no problem bike so now i am left with the Riviera which has been difficult to start from almost day one after replacing it with the sym i put it in my shed and stripped the fuel system stripped the carby cleaned and replaced everything but it still took me several days of adjusting the two screws on the carbie the mixture screw and the idle until i finally got it to start it was startable for the next few days and then my daughter took it for a ride around a storage unit complex where i have my shed i drove fine for over half an hour and then she came back to me and i turned the bike off five minutes later we went to start it and no go back to square one.

so my question is what is wrong are the adjustments not staying in place ie vabrating loose are the jets sticking or is the carbie shot at this point i am about to pull my hair out with this stinking machine so please someone solve my problem.

am unable to take it back to the shop were it was purchased from as he has banned us even though the bike is still under warranty and the only other shop wont touch them too much trouble.

i await the words of wisdom from those in the know

Neil R Stoker

• 03-30-2011 02:12 PM In reply to

• johnwf
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-04-2009
    • Canberra
    • Posts 150

Re: M.C.I. Riviera

Hi mate,

Know nothing about these scooters but notice it is a two stroke.  Does it run OK when it is going.

What sort of sparkplug, is it wet or dry when you pull it out.  Maybe you should put in a known brand plug that is one number hotter to start with.

The scooter is both electric and kick start, is that right.  Will it start on the kick start when it does not start on the electric starter.  Is the ignition sparking when cranked by the electric starter and also by the kickstarter, is there a difference between the two.

Firstly, when cold you will not start a two stroke if the choke is not working properly - so check that first.

Sometimes if you increase the idle speed (ie let more air into the engine) you often open up the idle jet hole (believe it or not on cheaper carbies the bullerfly can actually block off the idle jet holes when closed).

• 03-30-2011 05:51 PM In reply to

sounds like a frankenscoot project....any suggestions?

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 03-30-2011 06:24 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Douse it with petrol and light it and learn by your mistakes. That'd be the cheapest option.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-30-2011 06:44 PM In reply to

Lives in Esperance so could be used as one of these

• 04-08-2011 06:41 PM In reply to

Ok so we have had all the idiots and morons (and believe me that is being genorous) making there totally unrelated comments and frankly wasting my time can we now look to someone who can honestly help out with this problem.

Oh and to those idiots and morons if you want to send me the $1800 in cash don't take cheques from id or mo then i will be only too happy to whatever you want me too and will gladly post it on utube for your viewing pleasure if not then please piss off and give some one else the shits.

• 04-08-2011 08:17 PM In reply to

dadthepayer:

am unable to take it back to the shop were it was purchased from as he has banned us even though the bike is still under warranty

Neil R Stoker

I'm not surprised they banned you based on your previous tyrade. Chill a bit. If it has warrantee and they refuse it, go to the Dept of Fair Trading (consumer affairs) and lodge a complaint.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 04-11-2011 06:04 PM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:

dadthepayer:

am unable to take it back to the shop were it was purchased from as he has banned us even though the bike is still under warranty

Neil R Stoker

I'm not surprised they banned you based on your previous tyrade. Chill a bit. If it has warrantee and they refuse it, go to the Dept of Fair Trading (consumer affairs) and lodge a complaint.

The "smart-***" comments are made by those who realise that all the technical help in the world, over a forum, is probably not going to solve your problem.  Fortunately you should still be covered by warranty (and more besides) so the advice that you talk to the Office For Fair Trading is your best call.   If it can't be fixed, then it should be replaced, and if it can't be replaced, your money should be refunded.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 02-22-2012 04:22 PM In reply to

• Pete
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2010
    • Posts 22

You are covered by warranty what dealer did you buy it from we should be able to help 

MCI

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au