Scooter
Community

1965 Vespa VNB - 4 speed 125cc

Last post 07-26-2013 11:09 AM by hank. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2011 05:16 PM

1965 Vespa VNB - 4 speed 125cc

Thought I'd introduce my new project and myself of course. 

I have had two Vespas in the past a PX125E and a PX200 which I never finished.

About six years ago I bought a 1965 VNB from a mate for $200. It's in a bad state and was minus the fuel tank and has a rather nasty section of rust in the body. The cables all need replacing and I dare say the wiring will be equally perished. I did run though :)

I've recently purchased a used tank and a wiring harness so time to roll the sleeves up.

Here's some pics.

• 03-30-2011 05:30 PM In reply to

Re: 1965 Vespa VNB - 4 speed 125cc

Big Smile Looks like it will keep you out of trouble for a while good luck with the Restoration . welcome to the forum will be interesting to see how the scooter progresses Yes

• 03-30-2011 06:00 PM In reply to

Yeah posting my projects on a relevant forum helps me get motivated. This has been sitting for far too long, time to get it done.

Have I posted this in the correct place?

I would have preferred a model with 10" wheels but am happy to have a genuine Aussie Vespa with this body shape. I loved my old PX but this shape is beautiful in my opinion. Not sure whether to go custom paint or restore to original colour. Decisions, decisions...

• 03-30-2011 06:04 PM In reply to

Classic Zone Yes

• 03-30-2011 06:25 PM In reply to

looks good an straight,,,pity bout the big fek off rust patch, you need frame strength there,,,,,,,

wont end up as bad as ripincones one thoughStick out tongue

this forum section is slowly gathering pace and welcomeBig Smile

dont get struck by a truck
  • 03-30-2011 07:56 PM In reply to

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

Looks like you have a big job on your hands, but having said that there appears to be more and more parts available online to order for the classics these days.

Hope you find all the bits you need and enjoy the project

I;ll watch with interest as I'd love to do this sort of thing one day.

Keep us posted on your progress.

enjoy yourself its later than you think
  • 03-31-2011 08:15 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

Well,she's all there except the tank , looks pretty straight in the body , what are you going to do with the rust ? ,can you buy a "repair section" & weld it in or have you got to fabricate a section yourself? , seems an unusual area to rust ? .

I reckon it will come up tops.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 03-31-2011 08:27 PM In reply to

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

bradr:

seems an unusual area to rust ? .

Correct me if I'm wrong - and I often am - but isn't that rust hole around where the choke would come through the body?  It does seem like a very odd place for rust.

enjoy yourself its later than you think
  • 03-31-2011 10:57 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

ska_let:

bradr:

seems an unusual area to rust ? .

Correct me if I'm wrong - and I often am - but isn't that rust hole around where the choke would come through the body?  It does seem like a very odd place for rust.

If its the same as my VBC , the choke & fuel tap would be about 2" higher than the rust , i would suspect that its been sitting w/out its tank & maybe got water in the frame over time or maybe had a bag/sheet or similar resting in that spot that has got wet over time just rusted it away , i actually had a 57 Chev sedan in my back yard under a tarp awaiting to be refurbished for many yrs before common sense  kicked in & i sold it due to lack of time/money , when a perspective came to look at it & the tarp came off , the roof resembled the Vespa rust hole on a grand scale , i still sold it but about 2k cheaper{its actually up & running now & lives at Brakepro Nowra}.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 04-01-2011 08:26 AM In reply to

I think the tank was missing due to rusting out, that in turn rusted out that section of the body. It had mostly been stored out of the weather so I think it was probably fuel leaking, vapours stripped the paint, and once it was bare metal this is the result. If I can source a wrecked body I'll strategically cut a section and graft it in then reinforce as I see fit.

I think I'll get a chance to strip it down this weekend, hopefully no nasty surprises.

I'm not sure whether I'll do the engine myself or seek out a pro.  

• 07-16-2013 08:00 PM In reply to

Finally back into the Vespa. Stripped it down last Sunday. Next step the body tin is going off to the acid tank. 

• 07-26-2013 11:09 AM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

i like the look of that original paint, so if it was mine id just clean it

also i have a frame that i can cut out that section for youWink

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au