Scooter
Community

Fuoco is dying

Last post 06-01-2011 07:18 PM by steve@ace. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-03-2011 09:34 PM

Fuoco is dying

Hi all,

Lately my Fuoco has developed this nasty habit of just dying on me for no apparent reason, sometimes it just splutters and then picks up again and keeps going. Other times it dies as suddenly as if the kill switch had been hit, when it dies, after I stop I then start it normally and off we go again.

My major concern is that when it dies anyone following close behind me is likely to run over the top of me and sometimes I have no escape route so have to endure the fist shaking and finger gesticulating from irate drivers.

At first I thought maybe water in the fuel, I added some metho to the the fuel hoping to mop up any water but to no avail. Then I thought maybe spark plugs and discovered that NGK CR4EBK plugs don't exist in the real world and so bought some CR7EIX and tried those, there was a marginal improvement in smoothness but not in the cutting out problem.

The Gilera dealer in Batemans Bay couldn't find a problem as the puter had no fault codes registered in it. Anyone have any ideas at what I maybe can or should look at next? Any and all suggestions will be entertained

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 04-03-2011 11:33 PM In reply to

Re: Fuoco is dying

You could try new copper plug lead & cap also is the fuel filter & line OK or maybe faulty fuel pump like on some Vespas

• 04-04-2011 07:08 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

It does sound like it could be the fuel pump.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 04-04-2011 08:15 AM In reply to

Loose Change:

Other times it dies as suddenly as if the kill switch had been hit, when it dies, after I stop I then start it normally and off we go again.

Do you lose all the instrumentation when it cuts out?

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 04-04-2011 09:35 AM In reply to

"Do you lose all the instrumentation when it cuts out?"

No, all instruments function as normal and power to the bike is not compromised either, that is everything works as it should except the plugs won't sparkle.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 04-04-2011 01:58 PM In reply to

Could be intermittent fault on the ignition system coil the trigger or ignition module Sad

• 04-04-2011 04:40 PM In reply to

If I had a fuel problem in my Guzzi the ie light on the dash would come on, I assume you would have a similar warning on the Fuocco. Does this usually occur under load?

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 04-04-2011 04:53 PM In reply to

was it when it was just above idle speed and pick up a handful of revs?

or maybe the fuel cap air inlet is blocked.

argentum melle
  • 04-04-2011 04:57 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

I would go with Pete's theory that the fuel pump should be checked out. Is it when the scooter is hot, been running for a while ?

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 04-04-2011 09:09 PM In reply to

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions, I will check the ignition module thingy and also the fuel cap breather.

As to when it happens, yes so far it has always been when the engine has been at normal operating temps and has happened both at highway speeds and also at lower speeds, sometimes it has even coughed and spluttered at startup, but never when cold.

It's just very frustrating when it dies on you on the highway just as you are about to be run over by a B double because you can't outrun it and he hasn't a clue what's going on.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 04-24-2011 09:44 PM In reply to

Thanks to all the replies I had regarding the problem and it seems to now be running as it was intended to. It appears the problem was a very touchy kill switch, I was doing something on the bike and my hand just barely touched the kill switch and the engine stumbled and nearly died. I then cycled the kill switch about a dozen times to clean the maybe dirty contacts, anyhow to cut a long story ....... the bike for now runs great.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 04-24-2011 11:44 PM In reply to

Thats good  thanks for the feed back will commit that one to memory Yes

• 06-01-2011 07:18 PM In reply to

We had a similar one only a couple weeks ago with an X8 250.  Ended up just disconnecting the switch since it was never used anyway.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au