Scooter
Community

Kymco Like 125 vibration/shudder

Last post 04-21-2011 03:21 PM by emil_io. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2011 01:01 PM

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Kymco Like 125 vibration/shudder

So I had my first little incident... (hopefully it will be my last too)

I was driving down Sydney rd heading away from the city in peak hour, moving slowly down the left lane, probably about 30km/h, and the person next to me, who obviously didn't see me has tried to change lanes, the front left hand corner of his car has clipped the exhaust on my rear right hand side...fortunately I managed not too tip, I fish tailed a little but came to a stop. Looked back, and the moron in his shiny new commodore sv6 sportwagon, which now has a long scratch down the front just swore and kept driving! I didn't manage to get his rego...I was a bit shaken and got off to take a look, just a small scratch and the heat cover over the exhaust was pushed in slightly, nevertheless it’s fair to say I'm really annoyed, the scooter is only about 3 weeks old and has done just over 1000km (I do a fair bit of driving). More disturbingly, and the point of this post, is that I have noticed that now the scooter has developed a shudder on take-off, I'm not sure whether the accident is the cause. But basically when I take off from stand still, once I hit about the 10km/h mark as I'm accelerating the scooter shudders and vibrates for a brief moment, the shudder is stronger if I'm accelerating slowly, and not nearly noticeable if I accelerate hard. I'm concerned about this. Any ideas on what might be the cause? A friend who has a Piaggio Zip 100 road it and said he reckons there is nothing wrong and it’s just a bit of vibration, but the scooter never used to have this vibration before...Sad

Any advice is much appreciated.

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 04-17-2011 03:00 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: Kymco Like 125 vibration/shudder

You are the one riding it, you know what is normal and what isn't.. If you have any doubts whatsoever get it to someone to have a look at.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 04-17-2011 03:28 PM In reply to

Oh Emil_io! I'm sorry to hear about your accident! I'd be taking it to someone to look at. It's you who rides it and you whose life could be at risk from a fault. Your only protection is a few items of clothing and your own intuition and experience. I hope you get it sorted.

Boy you've done well clocking up 1000kms! I've done 111!! Ha ha. i think I got mine a week after you! Must be an age thing. Ha ha.

Take it easy! :o)

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 04-17-2011 03:54 PM In reply to

• johnwf
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-04-2009
    • Canberra
    • Posts 150

From what you describe it is most likely a clutch judder, I do not think it is related to the accident.  The scooter simply needs the clutch cleaned.  Quite often if you take it easy on the scooter you buld up clutch dust but also glaze the shoes.  At 1000ks the shoes probably have not worn down enough to match the drum yet.  You have to remove the clutch bell, blow the clutch dust out and give the clutch shoes/drum a light sand.  If such is not covered by warranty (someone else should be able to answer that one) then it is not a hard job to do yourself if you have a compressor and rattle gun.  My advice is to not baby it on take-off (that is a bit like slipping a clutch in a car on take-off) but to take off hard, that way the clutch will not slip as long and it will hook up cleaner and smoother (I will wait for criticism on that one).

• 04-21-2011 03:21 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Thanks for all your feedback. Johnwf I think you may have been on to something :) I popped into the dealer yesterday, spoke to the mechanic, he popped it up on the stand and said he wanted to take a look at the clutch. I waited about 30 minutes and was back on the road at no charge. Scooter now running fine again :)

Very pleased with the service from the dealer, and despite this hiccup still in love with my scooter! 1300kms and counting!

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au