Scooter
Community

Where's the windscreen wipers on the visor?

Last post 04-20-2011 12:57 PM by Quantumcat. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2011 03:54 PM

Where's the windscreen wipers on the visor?

OK. Advice please, oh wise scooterians! If I choose to go out in the rain (and let's face it, one day I will be out in it whether I choose to or not), do I keep my visor down - or is that just madness? If it is down... then what? Sounds like either way it probably won't be that great for vision.

(Surely they make nifty little wiper kits which fit onto your helmets and keep your visors wiped?? Colour-coded to your helmet, of course).

Please explain??

Ta! Lizzie Vo-Vo

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 04-17-2011 04:26 PM In reply to

Re: Where's the windscreen wipers on the visor?

wet weather you need an anti-fog on the inside like Rain-ex or Cat Crap to prevent internal fogging. Some people put rainex on both sides of the visor to get the drops to flow off, personally I use my gloved finger as a wiper.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 04-17-2011 04:41 PM In reply to

+ having the visor cracked open slightly helps to stop it misting up 

• 04-17-2011 10:02 PM In reply to

• johnwf
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-04-2009
    • Canberra
    • Posts 150

Many, many years ago when we raced karts we used tried a device similar to this

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=9335

• 04-17-2011 10:04 PM In reply to

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

I cannot recommend Rainex highly enough.  Never occured to me to put it on a visor, but that makes perfect sense.

I love the stuff, couldn't function without it.

I used to run a taxi business in the blue mountains and had a set of wipers on one of my cars fail on a friday night, with rain falling and forecast for the weekend.  None of my drivers would drive the car without wipers, so I did some swapping and ended up driving the car all weekend myself, just using rainex.

Got a few queries from passengers, but told them I was a test vehicle for a new windscreen product.  They all thought it was a great product.

Had no visibility problems.

Wouldn't recomend removing wipers from cars, but it got me out of a spot.

enjoy yourself its later than you think
  • 04-17-2011 10:25 PM In reply to

Oh, so essentially the rain just moves off the visor? Will get some Rainex.

When I bought a helmet I also bought an 'Ultra Clear Anti-fog Shield', which seems to be a film of some sort of plastic which adheres to the visor. Any experience with that??

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 04-18-2011 12:22 AM In reply to

They are really good, Im hoping to get one that is also photochromatic and darkens as the light intesifies. Need to save and buy a new visor though ($90)

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 04-18-2011 12:02 PM In reply to

You don't need the wipers. Visor is curved enough that water gets mostly blown off it when you move. Not completely, but enough so that you can see through it... possibly being close to your face helps as well... all I know I never felt the need for wipers.

Bigger problem is fogging up on the inside - that only happens with full-face helmets; if you're wearing open face helmet with a shield, there is enough breeze so it does not fog up as a rule. If you do have a full-face helmet there are a number of magic solutions already mentioned, but the one that works perfectly well is simply leaving your visor open a crack. That's why one very important feature of any full-face helmet is that it should give you a fine control over how wide you can open the visor and that it should stay in the position you chose.

• 04-20-2011 12:57 PM In reply to

I have ridden in the rain a couple of times now and I find that with the visor so close to your face, you can't actually focus on the raindrops and you see right through them. Like if you put your face against your screen door you see through it and you can't see the wire at all.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au