Scooter
Community

Jettin Exhaust on a GTS

Last post 11-03-2011 01:25 PM by GTSn. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2011 03:02 PM

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Jettin Exhaust on a GTS

Last month I put a Jettin aftermarket exhaust on the GTS. The Jettin pipe is outrageous! It is almost a megaphone and PhatVespa sounds like a Ducati. When I open it up I just about fall off the scooter laughing. It sounds fantastic! $320 + $40 postage from Jettin in the US.

My question: Sometimes when Im de accelerating the pipe backfires, not like a gunshot more like a popping f@rt. The same thing happens with the aftermarket pipes I put on the Triumph. The advice with the Triumph was to put bigger jets in the carbies because it was running lean. Im wondering now if the freer exhaust on the Vespa is causing it to run leaner therefore the popping backfire. Also the Vespa is EFI does it need to be remapped? Any experts out there who might have an idea? I really love the sound that the Jettin gives phatVespa and it is an absolute riot to ride.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 05-13-2011 03:05 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Jettin Exhaust on a GTS

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 05-13-2011 03:56 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Sorry Pete dont have answer for you but we should all get together again soon and have a 'Pipe' party..we've got a few GTS' in Sydney with different pipes on them now

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 05-13-2011 03:59 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

The popping backfire also happens on the GPR pipes on GP1's and have heard it on a beo 300 as well.  Go with it, it sounds great :)

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 05-13-2011 05:23 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

Does it on the Beo 200 tooStick out tongue

Not stressed about it....

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 05-13-2011 05:32 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Linz:

.... we should all get together again soon and have a 'Pipe' party..we've got a few GTS' in Sydney with different pipes on them now

Yeah absolutely Linz. I got the idea for the Jettin from Mike who had the black 300 on the last State of Origin ride to Kangaroo Valley. Im up for another swarm run any weekend. Hope you and the missus are well. Regards Pete.

Thanks everyone else for your imput. I dont mind the popping off, it was just one of those things you think about when youre riding along.

• 05-13-2011 05:33 PM In reply to

i have a leo vince pipe on the gp1 and it does the same thing. i think you will find it is un burnt fuel going into the hot exhaust. the ecu should be able to cope with a different exhaust on. but it does sound great.Big Smile

argentum melle
  • 05-13-2011 06:01 PM In reply to

Looks great!  I suspect that is why PM Tuning also have the electronic booster unit which you use to up the fuel.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-13-2011 06:19 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

steve@ace:

Looks great!  I suspect that is why PM Tuning also have the electronic booster unit which you use to up the fuel.

Making it richer. Thats interesting.

Quantity in Basket: none
    Code: 02-PMDTFI001
    Price: £215.39

Quantity:

"The TFI was designed and developed to provide an affordable solution to increasing the “fun factor” or ridability of your scooter. With today’s pollution regulations, many if not all of today’s scooters are setup extremely lean to meet these regulations. Unfortunately they are not always the best setup for performance or ridability. Therefore, adjusting the air fuel ration on these machines is essential to achieve optimum performance and ridability. The TFI is not an interceptor and it does not alter factory air/fuel computer tales or pulse-width calculations. It taps into the injector-driver circuitry of a stock scooter's EFI and selectively appends extra pulse-width voltage keeping injector's open the exact incremental time required for precise fuel enrichment. The scooter's on-board computer and wiring harness remain intact, with no wires needing to be cut. The stock air-fuel Map remains intact, as does its correlation to the engine’s volumetric efficiency (breathing) curve.The TFi is simple to adjust. Four adjustable dials (pods) and circuitry in the control unit (1) define the breakpoint between cruise and “main-jet” RPM, (2) the length of time and magnitude for auxiliary transitional enrichment, (3) and the incremental enrichment in tenths of milliseconds for the three operating ranges. The TFI unit is available as a pre programmed module to optimise the PM68 fuelling requirements with easily adjustable function should a different setup be required (E.G. using it with the standard exhaust system or other after market tuning parts) and can also be done at the side of the road if needed. Full instructions are available from PM’s website www.pmtuning.co.uk detail coming soon - Customers' feed back about the TFI unit - From Alan in New York USA - "" took the fuel module off, The scoot felt dead without it. What a difference in power that thing makes, it's like day & night. You'll never know it till you ride with it for a week & then take it off"" "

• 05-14-2011 09:03 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

The pop/fart noise on deceleration is because you have altered the exhaust backpressure by fitting a more open/freeflowing exhaust pipe , it is the unburnt fuel igniting which is normal for any motor but is usually no audible because of muffler design etc , it won't cause any problems to the scooter but may give those travelling behind you the sh- -s if they are behind you for a length of time.

p.s  hey pete have you considered making a 1 into 2 system & having 2 mufflers--1 out each side  lolBig Smile

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 05-14-2011 09:13 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

petegailey:
    Looks great!  I suspect that is why PM Tuning also have the electronic booster unit which you use to up the fuel

While i don't know anything about that unit for the vespa , i appears to be similar in operation to the little magic box i bought from a tuning company in Germany to put on my Mini Cooper S , with this box in place i discovered a whole new world of power inside that motor , and that was before fitting a smaller supercharger pulley , so if the Vespa has as much untapped reserve inside it then it could be interestingYes

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 05-14-2011 10:42 PM In reply to

I have a 300 with the Leo vince (with silencer) fitted, and it makes the same popping noise. In the search for more power I fitted the Fuel module and can report that it did not make any obvious difference to power or the popping sound.

Recently I trialled using an injector from a 460cc piaggio motor and that stopped the popping. Unfortunately it also caused an intermittent CEL (check engine light).Otherwise it seemed to be a positive thing. the scooter seemed to run better. Could certainly have been my imagination though!

Due to my secretary backing over my scooter and damaging (amongst other bits) the exhaust I have ordered a new exhaust, the scomadi replica from PM tuning. when that arrives I will retry the fuel module, and the injector and see how it goes.

I like the look of the jettin pipe, and would have purchased that as a replacement had I been spending my own money. Fortunately I was spending insurance money so i thought I would go for gusto!

Scarabeo 500ie. J costa variator, Giannelli Exhaust, Malossi Cam, Dr Pulley Clutch, and SX appeal cup holder. GONE

Bought a ducati, missed scootering so now riding a Vespa 300 super. Polini variator, PM tuning exhaust, Malossi clutch springs jettin bar ends with mirrors, heated grips and still an SX appeal cup holder.
  • 05-15-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

I have tried the Super Corsa Power Commander, which is the same as the PM TFI with a different label. Made no difference. Whatever it does, the EFI picks up the difference in the Lambda sensor in the exhaust, and immediately compensates.

I am interested in results with a larger injector. A guy on ModernVespa forum has been trying one, and he reports that the EFI eventually adapts to the increased fuel, and stop switching on error lights. Must try it myself soon!

Mike

• 05-15-2011 06:42 PM In reply to

That is interesting. I might give the larger injector a longer trial when the new exhaust arrives and see if it adapts. I rode for about 200km and it did not. i was pretty concerned about doing damage. 

Scarabeo 500ie. J costa variator, Giannelli Exhaust, Malossi Cam, Dr Pulley Clutch, and SX appeal cup holder. GONE

Bought a ducati, missed scootering so now riding a Vespa 300 super. Polini variator, PM tuning exhaust, Malossi clutch springs jettin bar ends with mirrors, heated grips and still an SX appeal cup holder.
  • 05-16-2011 10:24 AM In reply to

Did you disconnect the battery for a time to make the ecu reset its self

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au