Scooter
Community

MORE Vespa / Piaggio price drops

Last post 06-11-2011 09:09 AM by pyrah. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2011 12:14 PM

MORE Vespa / Piaggio price drops

If you haven't already heard, the strong currency has meant that Piaggio/Vespa have been able to decrease their prices again!   From $200 off the Fly 150, all the way to $1000 off the X7 300 and with various discounts on the Vespa 125, 250 and 300 models between $300 and $600, there has never a better time to buy.

And did I mention that the Fly 150 is Australia's top selling scooter, and the Zip is the 2nd top seller (and thus top selling 50cc)?   With $200 off the price, its going to be even harder to knock it off that position!  And for the first time you can get a GTS 250 for under $8k, and your hands on the Quasar 278 powered scooter for less than $7k.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-16-2011 03:02 PM In reply to

Re: MORE Vespa / Piaggio price drops

And on slightly related note, now that our dollar is doing so well and sales of bikes are going up again, is there any chance of us seeing Piaggio Beverly on our shores? I just happened to watch the ad on youtube and once again was reminded what a good scooter it is, if you can overlook the  unfortunate name (and I think it would be easy enough to peel the badge off!). City friendly size, reasonably short wheelbase, yet combined with two-helmet  under seat space, large wheels and 300cc engine... it's a great package for our conditions. I'd buy one, honest!

• 05-16-2011 03:10 PM In reply to

• jonners
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Perth (western 'burbs)
    • Posts 248

i agree ferrix - i reckon it's been a big mistake them not importing it here.

Vespa PX 200 (black)

Piaggio Fly 150 (white)

Suzuki Vstrom (dl650) (red)
  • 05-16-2011 03:34 PM In reply to

It is a beautiful scoot.  Lovely curving lines, it has a nice flow through it - much nicer looking than any of the other big wheeled scooters on the market I reckon, particularly the 500 with the headlight mounted on the handlebars.  But it just never sold enough to warrant them keeping it in the line.  Was it the name?  Or the cost?  Or the big wheels?  Who knows.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-16-2011 03:46 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

Was it the name?  Or the cost?  Or the big wheels?  Who knows.

I do. It was the name, and the cost. But the name is easy to fix, as I said just pull the sticker off and maintain a policy of referring to it strictly by the model name, BV300 or whatever it is... and the price - well, maybe it could be brought down in the current conditions? Also, markets change - just because it didn't sell a couple of years ago it doesn't mean the current version wouldn't sell better now. Besides, it's not the same scooter anyway - it's been upgraded quite a bit compared to the version we did get back when... I really think our distributors/dealers should be more proactive in developing and nurturing their markets instead of their usual policy of charging arm and a leg, then moaning it doesn't sell.

• 05-16-2011 04:07 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

ferrix:
    Piaggio Beverly

The latest incarnation is a gem and looks like a scooter for everyone. Regardless of the name, I saw this baby in Italy and thought it could take all-round honours.

In this climate (sales) where we still have some uncertainty over the economy (retail sector) I doubt this will see Australian shores.

I am with you Ferrix I would go for one of these as well. Just a great all-round concept. Bit like the X7 with a little added class.

I think the name did not help with the first Bev, but it was certainly was no oil painting in the looks department.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 05-16-2011 04:08 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

ferrix:
    BV300

yeh good concept , like it

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 05-16-2011 04:23 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

ferrix:
    I really think our distributors/dealers should be more proactive in developing and nurturing their markets

I think really we have to sell the whole 300cc concept to consumers. I think this sector of the market is by far the best the "scooter" has. It's a scooter that is just so handy given what we do with city motorways etc. Storage, speed and handling a 250/300 cc scooter is the pick.

Though the market is all in the 125 and 50 cc budget sector. All price driven and somebody with 7000 K to spend is questioning budget bike or scooter and you know my opinion on this subject. A 300 cc scooter makes a 250 cc bike look ordinary.

So we need this commuter side of the market to fire.....  so we will go onto see a greater choice in this area, more model derivatives. So many good commuters in the market around 6-7 right now it's just crazy. The X7 is super value for 7 ride away and deserves to be successful .....

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 05-16-2011 05:12 PM In reply to

allen:

So we need this commuter side of the market to fire.....  so we will go onto see a greater choice in this area, more model derivatives. So many good commuters in the market around 6-7 right now it's just crazy. The X7 is super value for 7 ride away and deserves to be successful .....

Yes, and one of the ways of getting it to fire is to offer more options in that segment. I know it's a bit of chicken and egg situation, but if you want to make profits you need to take some risks now and then. I think 300cc class really is better suited to our conditions than some of the little scoots we get. Also, right now there might be a bit of opportunity presented thanks to all the problems in Japan; there is a very real possibility that on the motorcycle side of things just as the demand is growing again, the supply might not keep up! Europeans have a rare opportunity to step into this gap, and when it comes to scooters, the 250-300cc ones are probably best placed to be a serious alternative to a motorcycle. Above that, larger motorcycles absolutely trounce maxi scooters in performance so yes, there is also a market for people who *want* a big scooter, but if someone is looking for Fireblade you can't realistically offer them Burgman as an alternative. But a 250-300cc scooter like 'Piaggio BV300' could be in a fair fight against CB250 or Kawasaki Ninja 250 for some buyers, as long as it is priced competitively.

As for X7... yes, it seems like a pretty good value right now. For me the trouble is I never really liked the looks of X7, and it's not that I don't like 'modern' look - just the opposite! But something about X7 just isn't right to my eyes. BV300 on the other hand just has it, whatever it is :)

• 05-16-2011 05:59 PM In reply to

Wink Nice to see a price drop if it continues in ten years will they be given them away Stick out tongue

• 05-16-2011 06:04 PM In reply to

In WA the licensing regime up to 250cc really stops growth of the 300 market, and interestingly sales of most of these vehicles are to people who already have a license (ie they are/were bike riders).    Its interesting that in the States these are already called the BV300 - they smartly dropped the name before it became a problem.  And its all very well saying that the importers should take a punt and get in a wider range of scooters - at one point we had 7 different 250cc scooters on the floor with the Quasar engine (X7, Xevo, Beverley, MP3, GP1, GTS and GTV) - but it didn't stimulate the market, I'd say that rather it confused it.  Too much choice in this most conservative of markets actually makes it more difficult to establish the overall product.  Look at how many scooter brands have failed to establish over the last few years.  Prospects become unsure as to which one to buy - which one will hold its value, which one they will be able to resell, which one will be maintained as a model or dropped.  Whereas if they buy a GTS, they know that there is nothing to worry about.  Maybe when there is a scooter in every street we'll be ready for more choice, but whilst we are still establishing the concept fewer models is probably better.  And the strong sales of the core brand scooters has got to be a good thing, as people find out the value of quality.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-16-2011 09:20 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

while yer on the subject

how many goldfish 2 he said i think he said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,am i hearing things

most people cant understand that balls goldfish balls that bounce

although that is a good point you make there

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 05-17-2011 08:11 AM In reply to

hank:

while yer on the subject

how many goldfish 2 he said i think he said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,am i hearing things

most people cant understand that balls goldfish balls that bounce

although that is a good point you make there

LOL i didn't know goldfish had balls never mind bouncing ones Geeked

• 05-17-2011 08:18 AM In reply to

Maybe he meant a bunch of goldfish rolled into a ball would bounce? I don't know. I think I'm just in the majority who can't understand.

If he really made a good point there, I guess it went right over my head!

• 05-17-2011 08:29 AM In reply to

ferrix:

Maybe he meant a bunch of goldfish rolled into a ball would bounce? I don't know. I think I'm just in the majority who can't understand.

If he really made a good point there, I guess it went right over my head!

I suppose if a ball of goldfish bounce really well then they would go over your head Big Smile

Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au