Scooter
Community

How far is your daily commute?

Last post 06-11-2011 08:02 PM by Scooternut. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2011 08:23 PM

How far is your daily commute?

Hi fellow riders,

Just curious - how far do you commute on a daily basis and how do you find the ride, fatigue-wise?  I'm doing a trip of 30kms (there and back) and finding my LX 125 not ultra-comfortable for this ride.  Tongue Tied

My trip involves some major roads (but not freeway) and takes about 25 mins.

• 06-07-2011 08:38 PM In reply to

Re: How far is your daily commute?

on even a good 125cc 90kmph is the top speed that it (and hence the rider) is most comfortable with. If you can try to vary your route a bit so you can spend as much time as possible out of heavy traffic where you have to be constantly on the alert. Mapping a route out on a GPS prior to the trip may help you with this. I only just discovered my phone's ability to be my guiding voice last night. I'm dreading the bill though.

Given that you're new to this scootering caper it could well take you a while to build up the stamina. If you can ride as much as you can for as long as you can on weekends to help build up the stamina.

On my Vespa GTS250ie I do a total of about 27km either way to & from work a day. Given that my Vespa's top speed is about 140kmph I can very comfortably sit on the freeway altnough often take the long way around as I spend far less time in heavy traffic and the route involves far more enjoyable twisty bits & scenery, things which add up to a more relaxing ride.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-07-2011 09:12 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

My commute to work and back is only about a 16km round trip, but given that my scooter is my only form of transport, I can easily do upwards of 30km a day running around. On weekends much more, it's a Kymco Like 125, I have had no issues with comfort, I can happily ride all day. I also have a PX 200 in the garage, but cannot comfortably commute all day, every day on that. I would imagine that your LX 125 would be superior in comfort to my Kymco, what do you mean exactly by "not ultra comfortable"? 

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 06-07-2011 09:24 PM In reply to

every day i ride my super 22.5km 12km of this is freeway and its full throttle for the 12km each way..

probably the most comfortable scoot ive owned out of the 10 or so ive had, the vespa is much more roomy than any of the others, yet still compact and not maxxi

if you want a cheap well performing 125/150 that is comfortable on all day rides, the VS 125 is great, super comfy soft smooth ride and has decent space so you can change foot positions etc..

• 06-07-2011 09:43 PM In reply to

SYM now do a VS150 for the same price.

I don't really commute, my job is house to house combat against Nursing Homes (I do housework and help elderly and disabled people, so they don't have to go into assisted care)

So I go to 3-5 houses a day and in between. Short sharp little trips of less than 10 km each. Except for the donning and doffing of the gear, it's born to be scooter territory. Average day of about 25-30 km commute, all under 90 Km/h

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 06-07-2011 09:51 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

50ks per day 5 days a week on a Vespa GTS250 + all the extra trips. The Vespa was first registered in May 08 and has over 45,000ks in those 3 years. I agree with Andrew that the GTS is very comfortable and a great utilitarian scooter that can handle all types of traffic conditions and roads.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-07-2011 09:52 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

My daily commute is halfway between my bedroom and kitchen...

but I make up for it on the weekend Stick out tongue

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-07-2011 10:52 PM In reply to

I'm liking that  distance Jax Wink

Part of the problem is the suspension on my scoot - I'm feeling every road surface change.  it's not comfortable being rattled around like a pea in a drum.  I'm hoping my 125 will smooth out as I get some kms on the clock.  And yes, being a newbie, I'm still expecting every car to jump out of a side street and run me down.. assuming this is normal and will pass.  But its tiring having to watch out for my own driving AND everyone else's.

There is something in what you say, Wanda about trying some different routes.  At the moment I do daily battle at some horrendous intersections; maniacs running red lights, last minute lane changes - you all would be very familiar.  Still I  breathe a sigh of relief to have made it  yet again - but I'll be back out there tomorrow Yes

• 06-07-2011 11:00 PM In reply to

VespaLove:
    Part of the problem is the suspension on my scoot - I'm feeling every road surface change.  it's not comfortable being rattled around like a pea in a drum. 

Unfortunately your wheel size is part of the problem here. The larger the wheel the less you feel the road surface. If you can ride in the flatter parts of the road, avoid the pot holes, sections where the road has been repaved & manholes. Loosening your grip & relaxing your shoulders will help to some extent.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-08-2011 08:38 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

i do about 60km round trip daily - rain or shine, some of this is motorway at 110 and Rosie loves it.

Perfect commute distance and takes about 30mins

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 06-08-2011 09:36 AM In reply to

My commuting trips are short but on a couple of occasions I did longer trips I found after about 40 minutes in the saddle I'm starting to get antsy and after an hour I definitely MUST get off. The seat on my SYM is initially very comfy, but turns into something unpleasant after a while. I'm OK with that - given the nature of the vehicle and how it will be used most of the time, it's a better choice than one of those long-distance saddles that seem uncomfortable at first but come into their own after an hour :)

• 06-08-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

My work commute is 65kms one way.  I do this on the freeway cruising at 120kmph!

I have done this commute 5 days a week, and it starts to drain on me when I was doing it in peak hour, leaving home at 7.30am, and getting home at 6pm (working 8.30-5).  On a good day I can do the ride in 40mins, but because of traffic, usually allow an hour, especially on the way home.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 06-08-2011 10:47 AM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

used to be 110klm rouind trip now its lucky if its 2ks

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 06-08-2011 11:31 AM In reply to

Linz:

used to be 110klm rouind trip now its lucky if its 2ks

wow! Out of curiousity was the 110km commute a chore or a joy?

I love my 54km round trip but don't know how I'd feel about doubling the distance. Maybe it would depend on the route taken & whether there were any alternative routes availble to vary the ride occasionally..

Wanda
  • 06-08-2011 11:59 AM In reply to

Only 5km (max) each way, only when I don't have to wear a suit, only if it's bearable weather and only if I'm not going to imbibe after work. So not all than often.

Braving Anzac Bridge and city traffic (worse in the afternoon, for some reason) - and finding an all-day scooter park - can make it a chore, but it takes all of 10 mins inbound, but nearly 20 mins outbound - vs 30-40 mins by tram / foot.

Briefing the Treasurer in Draggin Jeans and scooter boots last week was amusing ...

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au