Scooter
Community

My First Scooter, Daelim S1

Last post 02-03-2012 09:32 PM by pyrah. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-09-2011 02:39 PM

My First Scooter, Daelim S1

I've just got my Learners and this week I bought a new scooter, I ended up getting the Daelim S1.  I read about it on here and elsewhere and almost everyone says good things about it, thanks for the advice guys.  I thought I'd share some of the reasoning behind my decision.

I had a budget of up to $4000 and I was looking at 125-150cc scooters, I will commute through traffic in the inner city and will only rarely go on the freeway, having said that I was keen on a scooter that could get to or close to 100kmh if I needed to.  I don't own a car so the scooter will be my only transport, storage and practicality are important. The other main consideration for me was size, I'm 193cm tall and a lot of scooters I found my knees to be too close to the front. After sitting on quite a few I narrowed it down to the Vespa LX 125, Piaggio Fly 150 and the Daelim S1. The Vespa was considerably more expensive and had less storage space, so that was discounted early on, though I do love the Vespa styling. The Fly is a 150cc but when I looked at the stats the S1 (125cc) has almost the same power output. I'm a bit of a technophile and the lack of EFI on the Fly did put me off, a carburettor just seems like ancient technology and the difference between the 2 does seem to be born out in the power output. I think it might make a difference on cold morning starts too, I'm in Melbourne and we have a lot of cold mornings at the moment! As a scooter novice the combined braking system on the Daelim was very attractive to me, as were the slightly larger tyres. The final deciding factor was small convenience things, I love that the Daelim has a light that comes on when you open the seat, and the 12volt charger will be very handy too, I use an iPhone and I'm constantly having to charge it. The Fly was $2999 on the road and the Daelim was $3790 but I negotiated a some gear in with that. It is quite a bit more and the Fly does seem to represent great value for money but for me the quality and attention to detail of the Daelim just pushed it over the line.

I collect the S1 this weekend, maybe in a few weeks I can comment on it further.

Filed under: , , ,
  • 06-10-2011 02:48 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Re: My First Scooter, Daelim S1

Congratulations! No doubt you have made a good choice. I have and read that it is a great scooter. Look forward to hearing about how you get on with it.

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 06-11-2011 09:26 AM In reply to

Welcome good first post but the format off the writing on my small computer very hard to read Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-11-2011 10:35 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to scootering.

The S1 is a great scooter, welcome to your new obsession

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 06-12-2011 05:43 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Yes great scooter this one and deserves to do a ton better in the sales race. Probably for all the reasons you mentioned. You researched well and made your choice on needs and feel. I like the thought process..... Welcome

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 06-12-2011 10:26 PM In reply to

Let me know how it goes mate.

I'm getting my L's in about a month and a half, and after browsing the market am pretty sure I'll be getting a Daelim S1. They seem to be a well made, powerful 125 with all the nice new tech in it.

The only other scoot I'm considering is a Scarabeo 200 but I prefer the price point of the Daelim.

• 06-13-2011 11:34 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

My first scooter was a Daelim NS125. Man that scooter was good! Had a really well built engine that punched well above its weight. Used to ride it everywhere on full throttle, city, country, freeways, great on arterial roads where it could go 10k/h faster than the traffic. Daelim scooters are very good. I especially like the b bone.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 07-05-2011 07:13 PM In reply to

I guess disco is too busy riding to get near a computer Stick out tongue

In the mean time I've bought the Daelim S1 in two tone black and white (I'll upload some pics at some point soon).

First impressions are good. The bike looks great, as reflected in most reviews it seems well made with no evidence of cheap finish.

I've ridden motorcyles a little in the past, but was quite nervous hopping on my own brand new scoot.... I could just envisage dropping my money on the tarmac. It took a little time to get used to getting it on and off it's stand as it's not a light machine, but after a few goes it was time to fire her up.

All went very well cruising the back streets, I made a point of going easy both for my balance and for the new motor.

That was just less than 200 km's ago, and since then I've found that the Daelim S1 is a brilliant scoot for the asking price. It has a larger presence than many of the smaller 125cc scoots making it more stable in windy conditions and more stylish! Cool

I was a little worried I would be buying a scooter that sounded like a buzzing bee... but the engine note, while not loud, has a nice low throaty tone to it.  The power is good, it will smoothly accelerate up to 80kmph and I haven't tested any further!

The only downside I have come across thus far is that the speedo is a bit enthusiastic. I'm not sure by how much it exaggerates, but I would prefer a speedo that is bang on the money. I'll have to investigate further in the near future by rigging up my gps so I know by how much I can test the speed cameras.

That's it from me folks, if anyone is after a 125cc scoot the S1 has to be on the radar.

• 10-06-2011 11:56 AM In reply to

Hi all, sorry for slow reply but I have been very busy scootering!  I've had the S1 4 months now and I'm very happy with it, in fact it's safe to say I love it!  I'll start with the one problem i'm having and that is the clutch vibration, when starting off from a standstill there is sometimes vibration as the clutch takes up.  It's not too bad and it only ever happens when cold but on a few occasions it has been quite severe, having said that it seems to be much better recently than it was a month ago.  I still ride it every day with no problems but it's due for the 4000km service in a week or 2 and I'll ask them to adjust the clutch then, hopefully it will be easy to do.

I definitely agree with jaaazd about the speedo, I've not tested it but i think mine reads at least 10km/h over the actual speed, sitting on a 60km/h road i need to be doing 75-80 (according to the speedo) to keep up with the traffic.  Does anyone know if this is something that can be adjusted?  Talking speed, I've only been on the freeway a few times but the fastest I've been is 120 indicated, so it's probably around 105-110 actual speed and it felt like there was a but more to be had.  The S1 can easily cruise at 100 but I was on or close to full throttle the whole time to maintain it.  With the warmer weather now I'm hoping to head out of the city a bit, I'm confident the S1 will handle the highways easily.

I ride almost exclusively in the inner city and the S1 is great for getting through the traffic, it feels really well balanced and I think this is probably one of its strongest points, this thing just doesn't want to tip over!  The other strong point is the brakes, I've had a few near misses with people pulling in front of me or pedestrians not looking and the S1 has stopped so well each time, I'm really impressed, the combined brakes are awesome.

I love the look of the white on black too, though I should probably give it a wash....... I've not done that yet, hahaha.  The S1 really does have a much bigger presence than other 125's, I really notice it when I pull up at the lights next to another scooter, some of them are just tiny!  It has a real feeling of quality too. I couldn't describe why or how other than to say it just feels very well put together.

Overall I'm very happy, it's my first scooter but I ride it nearly every day and I love it, I can only recommend anyone looking at a 125-150cc scooter to consider the S1.

• 10-06-2011 04:42 PM In reply to

Glad to here you are enjoying the Daelim the transmission most likely will only need a clean out . Most speedometers read fast best to learn to live with it . Borrow a GPS to test the speedometer against then you will know the speed you can go to  & still stay legal

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-01-2012 09:19 AM In reply to

Hi

Anyone know how to adjust the lights on the S1 vertically please.  Mine are slightly too high.

• 02-01-2012 11:36 AM In reply to

Someone buy mine.  I can't afford to have two scoots.

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 02-01-2012 11:39 AM In reply to

Razorwing:

Hi

Anyone know how to adjust the lights on the S1 vertically please.  Mine are slightly too high.

I'll check the service manual for you and report back.  I have the official printed service manual for sale.  It's in the Parts and Accessories section of the forum.

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 02-01-2012 11:47 AM In reply to

DaelimMonkey:

Razorwing:

Hi

I'll check the service manual for you and report back.  I have the official printed service manual for sale.  It's in the Parts and Accessories section of the forum.

Link Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-01-2012 12:02 PM In reply to

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au