Scooter
Community

Why are scooter tyres so expensive?

Last post 07-29-2013 12:17 AM by Krisky. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2011 04:51 PM In reply to

Re: Why are scooter tyres so expensive?

• 07-23-2011 07:06 PM In reply to

Got nothing to do with safety...the tyres from Thailand are identical to the ones here (which are also probably made in Thailand) difference is i can buy them there and have them sent here for roughly half the cost.  i.e.  around $40 a tyre and although it might take me a couple of hours to fit them I will have the exact same tyres that would have cost me $270 fitted in Oz for $80.  If you think you are getting a good deal, have a look at some of the U.K. sites selling scooter parts.  They are a fraction of the price here.

• 07-23-2011 10:36 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Totally agree , australia being more expensive country in the world .

eccossejohn:

Got nothing to do with safety...the tyres from Thailand are identical to the ones here (which are also probably made in Thailand) difference is i can buy them there and have them sent here for roughly half the cost.  i.e.  around $40 a tyre and although it might take me a couple of hours to fit them I will have the exact same tyres that would have cost me $270 fitted in Oz for $80.  If you think you are getting a good deal, have a look at some of the U.K. sites selling scooter parts.  They are a fraction of the price here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piaggio Fly 150 and lovin it.

• 07-23-2011 10:39 PM In reply to

• haro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-23-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 125

Mate I think that is pretty exxy, look for a different shop ! Where are you located?

Here in Brissy I go to Brisbane Motorcycle Tyres in Slacks Creek and they do some pretty good prices. I replaced my rear Maxxis tyre on my SYM VS125 and used an 'IRC' Brand tyre, it cost about $65 fitted. I have had that IRC on the back now for a while and its been great for a cheap tyre and I cant fault it.

When I recently replaced my front tyre, it was a  strange size (maxxis again) and my mechanic just used a slightly taller profile as it was much more common - This time I splashed out and bought a Pirelli GTS tyre which cost me $80 fitted (maybe 90?) from memory. Its also been a great tyre so far.

Scooter servicing costs are a bit of a joke really, I have been servicing my own cars for a long time now and my Scoot is coming up to its 20,000KM service and I am planning on just starting to do them myself from now on. Synthetic Oil is easily available as are the tools required to change oil etc. If you need tips on how to do it - Just hit up youtube.com as there is plenty of great instructional vids on that site !

Good luck !

• 07-25-2011 06:27 PM In reply to

Oil change on the SYM is a breeze ... took me 15 min on the weekend to change the engine and transmission oil...total cost of oil (If you allow for the amount I used ) $12 ... when last done by the shop it cost $86.  I also cleaned the air filter which is paper but I noticed that the second filter was just a piece of foam.... anyone changed the paper one for foam as well as this would be a far more economical way of doing it.  I have a lawnmower with a foam filter and on the face of it I can't see any problems.  Any tech savvy people out there with a view on it.

• 07-31-2011 12:38 PM In reply to

eccossejohn:

Oil change on the SYM is a breeze ... took me 15 min on the weekend to change the engine and transmission oil...total cost of oil (If you allow for the amount I used ) $12 ... when last done by the shop it cost $86.  I also cleaned the air filter which is paper but I noticed that the second filter was just a piece of foam.... anyone changed the paper one for foam as well as this would be a far more economical way of doing it.  I have a lawnmower with a foam filter and on the face of it I can't see any problems.  Any tech savvy people out there with a view on it.

just buy some filter foam and cut it to the same shape as the paper one. you may need to up jet it though as well.

argentum melle
  • 08-09-2011 10:23 AM In reply to

Does K&N do a filter for it ?

• 08-10-2011 09:13 AM In reply to

Im guessuinng that those of you whinging about the cost have no idea how much motorbike tyres are . frend of mine has to pay about 300 for tyers for his Kwaka KLR. Scooter tyres are cheap incomparison!

• 08-11-2011 10:27 AM In reply to

Scooter tyres are more expensive because they take longer to fit. On a Firenze you have to drop the exhaust, side arm and piss about with the rear caliper. its about 30 minutes for a mechamic familiar with the Firenze to fit and balance.

Keep a regular eye on tyre pressures to get the maximum life out of the tyre. Scooter tyres themselves (without labour) are relatively cheap compared to motorcycles & bicycles. Especially when you compare apples with apples

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 08-13-2011 02:15 PM In reply to

Finally bit the bullet and got new tyres...Maxxis 130/70/13 rear $92 Maxxis 110/90/13 front $78 and $50 to fit both ....at

Melbourne Scooters
    16 Tichborne Place
    South Melbourne 3205
    Phone: (03) 9699 6000
    Email:
    service@melbournescooters
    .com.au

Good place, friendly and fair price. Would go back there again....and yes from talking to a few motorcyclists at work motorbike tyres are an even bigger rip off.

• 07-13-2013 02:43 PM In reply to

• Krisky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-06-2013
    • Posts 2

I think we all need our heads read, paying what we pay for motorbike service in Australia. I ride a Suzuki Hayate 125cc scooter in Bali. I take it to a Suzuki dealer every time I get it serviced. It costs $2.50 for the oil, and a maximum of $5 for the normal service. It takes them about 20 minutes to complete. New tires cost $15.

The average wage of a mechanic in Bali is about $150 a month. Lets just say an Aussie mechanic makes $4000 a month. So, while oversimplifying it, that means the labour cost is 26 times dearer in Australia. So lets say a service should cost about 26 times the price in Australia, that makes $133. But the mechanics here are telling us it takes what, an hour or so to do a service? At a workshop/labour charge rate of what, $150 an hour? So why does it take Australian mechanics an hour to do what Indonesian mechanics do in 15 minutes? If it only takes 15 minutes, we should be getting charged around $35 for workshop/labour charge!

Now, the argument when you ask is always "oh it costs a lot to run a workshop in Australia - we dont make any profit, etc etc". That may be true, and its possible they have to charge $150 to $200 to make a profit. But what I object to, is that they TELL us it takes them an hour to service the bike, and write that on the invoice, when in fact it only takes 15 minutes, but charge us for an hour. A liitle bit of transparency and honesty in invoicing would be great.

Re changing tires, this is a very regular practice in Indonesia, where most bikes use tube tires, not tubeless, so they are much more prone to punctures. There are "tambal ban" (tire change) places everywhere and they are constantly busy. They take approximately 5 minutes to remove a tire from a scooter with double rear struts, 10 minytes to repair the puncture, and 5 minutes to put it back on. Our mechanics here in Australia like to tell us it takes an hour.

What I object to the most about our mechanics and service operations here in Australia is that they are just not honest with us, and wont come clean about the true costs and times it takes to service. Anyone who has lived overseas in Asia knows that scooeters are simple and cheap to maintain, and we are all being taken for a ride here in Australia.

• 07-13-2013 04:51 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

We can complain all we want about how Australia is expensive compared to the rest of the world , but its not going make any difference , they retailers are still going to charge the retails prices on everything we buy . At the end of the day , if the consumers do not buy a particular product , they will be forced to put prices down , because they are not selling that particular product  or services .

Krisky:

I think we all need our heads read, paying what we pay for motorbike service in Australia. I ride a Suzuki Hayate 125cc scooter in Bali. I take it to a Suzuki dealer every time I get it serviced. It costs $2.50 for the oil, and a maximum of $5 for the normal service. It takes them about 20 minutes to complete. New tires cost $15.

The average wage of a mechanic in Bali is about $150 a month. Lets just say an Aussie mechanic makes $4000 a month. So, while oversimplifying it, that means the labour cost is 26 times dearer in Australia. So lets say a service should cost about 26 times the price in Australia, that makes $133. But the mechanics here are telling us it takes what, an hour or so to do a service? At a workshop/labour charge rate of what, $150 an hour? So why does it take Australian mechanics an hour to do what Indonesian mechanics do in 15 minutes? If it only takes 15 minutes, we should be getting charged around $35 for workshop/labour charge!

Now, the argument when you ask is always "oh it costs a lot to run a workshop in Australia - we dont make any profit, etc etc". That may be true, and its possible they have to charge $150 to $200 to make a profit. But what I object to, is that they TELL us it takes them an hour to service the bike, and write that on the invoice, when in fact it only takes 15 minutes, but charge us for an hour. A liitle bit of transparency and honesty in invoicing would be great.

Re changing tires, this is a very regular practice in Indonesia, where most bikes use tube tires, not tubeless, so they are much more prone to punctures. There are "tambal ban" (tire change) places everywhere and they are constantly busy. They take approximately 5 minutes to remove a tire from a scooter with double rear struts, 10 minytes to repair the puncture, and 5 minutes to put it back on. Our mechanics here in Australia like to tell us it takes an hour.

What I object to the most about our mechanics and service operations here in Australia is that they are just not honest with us, and wont come clean about the true costs and times it takes to service. Anyone who has lived overseas in Asia knows that scooeters are simple and cheap to maintain, and we are all being taken for a ride here in Australia.

• 07-29-2013 12:17 AM In reply to

• Krisky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-06-2013
    • Posts 2

Maybe the scooter community has got to the size in Australia, and the retail servicing charges have become so horrendously out of propertion to bike cost, that we need to form a Scooter Riders Co-operative in each capital city that would be owned by the consumers. We could have one big workshop in each capital city and schedule our regular services in advance precisely to an exact time and date, employ exactly the number of mechanics needed to provide the scheduled services for all our scooters, preventing any mechanic or workshop downtime, enabling all parts and oils to be ordered in bulk well in advance, and we could all benefit from the economies of scale and bulk purchasing power.
    Who's in???

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au