Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

GTS 300 front brakes

Last post 10-25-2011 01:30 PM by foober. 47 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2011 10:24 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-08-2008
    • Tuart Hill, Perth, W.A.
    • Posts 133

Re: GTS 300 front brakes

Hope not for 1,000klms ... doesn't feel like master cylinder ... don't think it would make the jurking on light pressure.

It's all pointing to warped disk, the lack off brake force (painful as it is) is secondary at this point.

It's getting the dealer to do something about it or I'll have to shell out more $$ and get a new disk and brembo caliper kit (maybe shocky to).

Greg

Yamaha Tmax 500, 2010 Black ... Sold her for ...
    Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012

Perth W.A.
  • 07-26-2011 05:21 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

Greg :

As above "no pulsing on lever", and yes the front are hopeless need 4 or 5 times the effort to stop over the rear, I don't think I have enough strength in one hand to dive the front suspension that much (with these brakes).

I don't suppose it has wax or some sort of protective coating contaminating the disc/pads ? , i don't know if Vespa use any sort of wax coating for sea protection like cars/trucks do , i know that when new cars from overseas have their 1st initial clean/detail prior to sale , part of that process is to clean off all wax protective coatings , used to be done by washing vehicle with strong Keroscene/Water mix , don't know what they use thes days to acheive same , again i don't know if Vespa use anything like this , i pressume they are sea transported in crates ? , maybe in plastic , have a good look at the disc & see if you can see anything like it ? , but honestly , i'd get it straight back to the dealer & get him to ride it , if its that obvious to you , then surely he'll get the same result if he tries it , if he tries to tell you its normal , go for a ride on one of their demo's , if it does the same , then maybe its either normal or its you , but if it behaves differently , then its got to be faulty.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 07-26-2011 05:46 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-08-2008
    • Posts 133

bradr,

Pre delivery would remove all the shiping coatings, and the disk is clean anyway.

He did ride it at the 1st service, and I rode his demo and that was ok.

But he still telling me " this is normal " for Vespa's.

I've own and riden Suzuki GS1000, Bandit 1250, Burgman 650/250 & Hond Hornet 900 etc never had this problem.  

I've run engine reconditioning / machining workshops and done some machining myself and also diagnosed vehicle problems for customers, so I'm no idiot to be flogged off.

In the end the dealer will be the loser, people have asked where I bought the Vespa from and it wont be pointing them to this dealer.

They still haven't answer my email with other issues arising from there 1st service.

Thks Greg

Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012

Perth W.A.
  • 07-26-2011 08:19 PM In reply to

pulsing not normal for front brake. the front is stronger than the rear brake.

argentum melle
  • 07-26-2011 10:48 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

Greg :
    I've run engine reconditioning / machining workshops and done some machining myself and also diagnosed vehicle problems for customers, so I'm no idiot to be flogged off.

I was curious as to what sort of mechanical knowledge you have , but obviously you've got a pretty fair idea , being a mechanic myself , i'm very curious as to what it turns out to be , keep us posted with updated will you , or are you like me &  pull the bl- -dy thing apart & fix it yourself ?

ps  the dealers attitude makes no sense does it , how can they say ''thats normal'' brake behaviour  if the rear is more powerfull than the front ?Hmm

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 07-27-2011 09:57 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-08-2008
    • Posts 133

bradr:
    or are you like me &  pull the bl- -dy thing apart & fix it yourself

It's pointing that way 

Greg

Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012

Perth W.A.
  • 07-27-2011 01:56 PM In reply to

• jonners
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Perth (western 'burbs)
    • Posts 248

Greg :

They still haven't answer my email with other issues arising from there 1st service.

please tell me your only contact with the dealer hasn't been via email?!

call them up or better yet go in there and just say - look, this is still happening and I want it sorted immediately because this is a new and expensive machine and it shouldn't be happening. Book a time to take it in and make sure you speak to the manager/principal of the dealership and say you want to hear personally from him with anything you he can find out about the problem. Be polite but make it clear you're a bit worried about it and i'm sure they'll help you out.

You have to give the dealer a reasonable opportunity to sort it out. If you really can't get anything from the dealer, then take it to another vespa dealer and explain the issue and tell them it should be a warranty claim and ask if they'll look into it for you.

Vespa PX 200 (black)

Piaggio Fly 150 (white)

Suzuki Vstrom (dl650) (red)
  • 07-27-2011 02:51 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-08-2008
    • Posts 133

jonners:
    please tell me your only contact with the dealer hasn't been via email?!

At this stage yes, if they offer email contact they should at least reply, the main man is on holidays and I expect there leaving till he returns.

jonners:
    You have to give the dealer a reasonable opportunity to sort it out

I did emailed with in a week of receiving the scooter (and got reply & agreed to what till 1st service) a list off things that I felt won't right and warped disk was on that list, and was advised they have had some under warranty and had a new disk in stock and waiting for answer from Piaggo (?) but on the day I was told that this is how they are.

jonners:
    If you really can't get anything from the dealer, then take it to another vespa dealer and explain the issue and tell them it should be a warranty claim and ask if they'll look into it for you.

This is what I will be doing if no joy on second attempt with this dealer.

Looking into Brembo caliper kit ex USA they stock disk also, but would rather use the stock unit but I'm not far off just ordering it, and fix it myself.

Greg

Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012

Perth W.A.
  • 07-27-2011 03:34 PM In reply to

• sam77
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2011
    • Posts 34

so where did you get it ?

• 07-27-2011 03:51 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-08-2008
    • Posts 133

Would love to let you know but only far to wait and see how they respond first.

If it's not good I will definitely let all know.

Greg 

Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012

Perth W.A.
  • 07-27-2011 03:59 PM In reply to

LOL i know I'm sure it will be resolved at soon as he gets back Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 07-27-2011 05:01 PM In reply to

Greg :

bradr,

Pre delivery would remove all the shiping coatings, and the disk is clean anyway.

He did ride it at the 1st service, and I rode his demo and that was ok.

But he still telling me " this is normal " for Vespa's.

I've own and riden Suzuki GS1000, Bandit 1250, Burgman 650/250 & Hond Hornet 900 etc never had this problem.  

In the end the dealer will be the loser, people have asked where I bought the Vespa from and it wont be pointing them to this dealer.

Thks Greg

the braking is also different to a m/c due to the smaller wheels and the front suspension setup.

argentum melle
  • 07-27-2011 05:28 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-08-2008
    • Posts 133

silverflyer:
    the braking is also different to a m/c due to the smaller wheels and the front suspension setup.

The demo didn't have this problem so regardless off how different the bikes / scooter are my does.

Also I can't see a manufacturer runing this suspension if it shackes to *** out off you when you brake.

I tried a hard stop using the front brakes only and it wasn't much fun and I was expecting it to be bad, same deal with both brakes applied.

Greg 

Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012

Perth W.A.
  • 07-27-2011 07:21 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

silverflyer:
    the braking is also different to a m/c due to the smaller wheels and the front suspension setup

Slightly different due to the Vespa front end design , but its basic operating principles are still the same , the front brake on any car/bike/scooter/truck are all the same in respect of the front always having the greater portion of the stopping power , and same with this *** feeling felt through the brake , has nothing to do with being a scooter as opposed to a m/cycle , its got a dead set problem which i'd say needs to be sorted fast ,if i were the owner i would be getting straight onto Vespa head office & getting something done , its a death trap like that , the fact that the boss mans away is irrelevant , he would have left someone with a brain in charge of his shop surely ? , if not then the staff can probably contact him ? , pressure them into getting on the blower to the owner & get the ball rolling

• 07-27-2011 08:27 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-08-2008
    • Posts 133

Got reply this afternoon after resending the email (he got back today), and I replied back see what happens 

Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012

Perth W.A.
Page 2 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au