Scooter
Community

New experience today......anyone else had it?

Last post 08-09-2011 08:12 PM by pyrah. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-04-2011 08:23 PM

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

New experience today......anyone else had it?

I was behind some cars at the lights, when, while I was in the left lane, right tyre track, a driver came right up beside me and waited with me. Had a few words with her and then moved to the front. Is that common for other riders?

• 08-04-2011 09:49 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: New experience today......anyone else had it?

Had it once with a courier. Was filtering thru heavy gridlock, passed a van then stopped in front of it after i couldnt progress any further. When the traffic started the van pushed past me on the inside forcing me into the right lane. Quite agressive IMO. He must have been pissed off with me filtering past him.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 08-04-2011 10:42 PM In reply to

yep, had that a couple of times. Recently a woman driver pulled up next to me, I was in the righthand wheel track in righthand lane to turn into a freeway entrance, effectively blocking two lanes. A truck driver in the left lane was deeply unimpressed with her manouver, letting her know of his disapproval with a long blast of his horn.

People see me on the scooter & just see red. And a "moped", as EVERYONE knows scooters can only go slow. Confused

I've also had a driver behind roundly abuse me for not getting out of his way when he wanted to turn left on an arrow. I was going straight but this didn't matter to him, I should get out of his way so he can continue on his way! Confused

I used to get VERY stressed & anxious when experiencing these things either on the scooter or in the car. Now however... Sleep

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 08-05-2011 06:39 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Scooternut:

People see me on the scooter & just see red.

LOL Thats ok. People see me on the scooter & just see Gallo Lime.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 08-05-2011 06:47 AM In reply to

I wonder if they would be so mouthy/inconsiderate if we were tattooed, leather clad tractor-riding (HD's) persons?

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 08-05-2011 07:40 AM In reply to

petegailey:

Had it once with a courier. Was filtering thru heavy gridlock, passed a van then stopped in front of it after i couldnt progress any further. When the traffic started the van pushed past me on the inside forcing me into the right lane. Quite agressive IMO. He must have been pissed off with me filtering past him.

I've had people in their cars pull up beside me at the lights to have a chat about the scooter. Asking about fuel consumption, parking, etc..

On the flipside, i've also had ones who cut me off while im trying to merge or filter.

2009-2011: Piaggio Fly 125
    2011-Present: Giallo Lime Vespa GTS 250ie

• 08-05-2011 09:29 AM In reply to

Happens a few times a month.  I am a bit cheeky in filtering, so that presses a few buttons with aggressive drivers (male and female) - my personal 'code' is that I don't hold up anyone I've squeezed past, so they suffer no disadvantage.  If they feel aggrieved after that, then it's their issue. If they do something dangerous, then I might or might not respond depending on the risk of that response to me (I ain't risk my bones / neck for some idiot!)

I have two responses ..

1. Get past in traffic or next 'lights as though I'd not noticed them at all: being apparently oblivious really steams some drivers up!

2. A response or positioning designed to make them seethe but not be outright aggressive: so they fume about it while I'm smiling! Examples are: (a) seemingly 'dim' lane positioning that blocks them for long enough to fume, then I get right out of the way or (b) makin sure I have their attention and giving a small gesture when (and only when) they cannot come at me .. sometimes it's the "small d*ck" finger wiggle, sometime I blow a kiss, sometimes just a cheeky wave ... but since I have a distictive number plate, I don't enrage thugs who might come looking for me.

If it's someone really dangerous I do nothing, just let them get away: I ain't tangling with stupidity or possible violence (especially deliberate violence with a motor vehicle) at any risk to me.

I notice a few main groups, but in Sydney vehicle aggression is as likely from a young woman full of Gen-Y narcissism (how dare anyone get an advantage I don't get!) as from a tradie in a suped-up ute or a hoon in a doof-doof, 2"pipe, personality substitute.  I have noticed that male hoon aggression is worse around Brighton (Sydney) than anywhere else, but I do take care in western Sydney too ... I'm not being class-ist here - I simply see that my scooter actually gets taunts from moron hoons (mostly but not exclusively male) in these areas, while my road bike does not.

In the end, I go on my way smiling: after all, I'm a happy, sane (even educated and cultured, though I would say that) chap enjoying my scoot (and how!) .. these are dills, or shrills, living in their own (actual or metaphorical) poo.  Even their aggression or menace is fleeting in my life - though I suspect it pervades theirs.

For the most part, though, a red Vespa gets more smiles (and waves) than any negativity ... sometimes questions or positive remarks at lights ...and I suspect a yellow or orange (or pink) scoot gets even more!!  People certainly talk to me on the scoot, all over the place: much more that I ever get on the bike.

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 08-05-2011 01:25 PM In reply to

Me i`m a lazy bugger.Sometimes i filter and somtimes i dont.As i am a proffessional driver.Sorry guys a bus driver i often do express runs city to palm beach so see a lot of scooters and sports bikes doing their thing.I try not to scare anybody as my bus is 18m`slong a bendy,so sometimes when you turn a corner you often loose sight of smaller trafic.

regards hatrick

hatrick
  • 08-06-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

• GarryL
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-29-2008
    • Hornsby, NSW
    • Posts 173

Had a first for me yesterday afternoon on way home from work

Heading North up Penants Hills Road B-Double with trailer ran up the left turn only lane & then filtered in the bycycle lane down the side of a car at about 70KPH, must have forgotton he was in a friggin truck. Then had to block the next junction as the traffic was backed up

Scared the crap out of the car driver who was really not amused

Another day another f-wit on the road

Location    http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Pennant+Hills+NSW&hl=en&ll=-33.748487,151.049576&spn=0.000699,0.00142&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=48.625677,93.076172&t=h&z=20

• 08-08-2011 08:33 AM In reply to

• TRA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Posts 302

danceswithdingoes:

I wonder if they would be so mouthy/inconsiderate if we were tattooed, leather clad tractor-riding (HD's) persons?

I am 6ft and 110kg, so not many people talk to me!! I do get it now and then. Had one guy threatening me once after he cut me off, telling me he's going to punch me, so I put the side stand down, hopped off the bike and walked to his window to accept the challenge. He drove off quicky still cursing.

I dont think I ever had a conversation with anyone when I was on the scooter, but I certainly tried to solicit some conversation with the odd driver or two.

• 08-08-2011 01:30 PM In reply to

I was riding along in the left lane in the right wheeltrack (nobody on my right, lots of roads regularly turning into mine on the left) when this idiot decides to overtake me on the left in MY lane and half going off the road to do so, and also cutting across someone's path on a road turning into mine so they had to slam on their brakes before they were even a carlength from the edge of my road.

It didn't even do him any good. At the next traffic lights I pulled up right behind him, and laughing to myself I filtered right past him to the head of the queue anyway!

I wonder if he still would have done it if I had been in the middle of the road? In that case I'd certainly be dead - he would have been mostly off the road in his overtaking attempt and smashed right into the car that wanted to turn into the road and I would have been right next to them...

• 08-09-2011 01:56 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

no never happened to me ConfusedConfusedConfusedHuh?Confused

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 08-09-2011 03:22 PM In reply to

hank:

no never happened to me ConfusedConfusedConfusedHuh?Confused

Wink Maybe its the size 12 Docs Stick out tongue

• 08-09-2011 07:34 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

yes that or the purple mini skirt, i dont know

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 08-09-2011 08:12 PM In reply to

hank:

yes that or the purple mini skirt, i dont know

purple H&M dress - black DKNY tights - black hat - black Dr Martens boots

Yep Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au