Scooter
Community

Italjet Dragster 180 ?

Last post 09-09-2011 06:45 PM by hondatodaydemon. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-07-2011 09:46 AM

Italjet Dragster 180 ?

I was curious as to what people knew about this model, it looks quite quirky. has anyone ridden one, what do they go like ?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 09-07-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Italjet Dragster 180 ?

Its got the same two stroke motor as my Gilera Runner 180 and is renown as a fiesty little beastie. They are big in Asia and in Europe and they seem to be the weapon of choice to the young guys who mod them. Check out PM tuning or SIP to see how much gear they have for them. Should get to 130k/h and will beat just about anything  off the lights. 2 strokes are pretty thirsty and I only get about 20k/l with spirited riding. Im not sure about the handling on the Italjet Dragster 180, but my runner is definately a light weight and can get a bit flighty at full speed but its not unmanageable.

They've stopped production of the 180 2 strokes because of the European emission controls so if youre into getting one they will become harder to find and are becoming a collectors scoot.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 09-07-2011 11:28 AM In reply to

Good site here http://www.italjetdragster.com/ . Very collectable made some go to the dark side . Have  you tracked down a good one Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 09-07-2011 04:11 PM In reply to

i had a runner 180

it was reasonably quick but i reckon the GTS300 is quicker and the GTS 300 does not break down every 2 minutes

i was warned before i brought the runner, but i was like pfft, it does wheelies, awesome...

spent more time broken than working

if you modified it then it'd be very fast, but brokendown even more often

• 09-07-2011 07:18 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

ummm......ugly as sin.....goes like stink! Stick out tongue

2010 PGO X-Hot 150cc - clocking up the kays
    2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
    2005 Vmoto Monza 50cc - in the rebuild phase
    2002 Aprilia SR50 50cc - currently out on loan
  • 09-07-2011 08:08 PM In reply to

15UZU:

Ahahahaha..........you make me laugh mate!!

If you looking to get a new scoot,may i suggest Pcx!? Tons of aftermarket parts (performance and visual) and fuel economy to be grinning all day :). Ive got Takegawa exhaust,Kitaco FI module and de-limiter and variator installed just recently. How it goes you're asking?? Well you know how Jaime's Lx 150ie went and than some with 190cc Malossi in it?? Well ask him,I don't want to brag here and the best part is i had it fuelled today and it only used 2.8l/100km after you know how i ride when im on it ;). Ive got new variator coming soon that will see 125kmh on the speedo hehehe.

Seriously what a cracker of the scoot bud and you remember my crazy Honda Today how it went? Well this gives me just as many smiles now........

Yuminashi Pcx 164cc can of whopass!
    Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 09-07-2011 08:10 PM In reply to

15UZU:

Confused

Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 09-07-2011 09:06 PM In reply to

• johnwf
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-04-2009
    • Canberra
    • Posts 150

Yep, have one, the looks are different but they always attract attention.  Quite a small scooter with a weight around the 100kg mark so they pull quite well even in standard trim.  I have a modified motor (port work, high compression head, 28mm keihin flatslide running premix, PM Tuning pipe, lightened rotor, Malossi ignition, electric water pump, gear-up kit, Dr Pully sliders, stronger clutch springs).  I did about 10,000kms last year on mine, the Piaggio motor is quite reliable with proper tuning and a good semi-synthetic oil.  I live in Canberra and sometimes take mine for a run up into the Brindabella mountains, about 150km return trip with no concerns whatsoever.  Engine parts are still readily available in Australia, and virtually any part can be purchased overseas.

Handling can be a bit quirky, they tend to run wide in the corners, but respond well when power applied.  Brakes are quite small but are very very good, the Dragster stops very straight (the discs/calipers are in the centreline of the rims), so speed into a corner is amazing.  I love mine, in fact I have another Dragster chassis and have fitted a Piaggio Quasar 250 engine as a project, should complete next year time permitting

• 09-08-2011 07:33 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

johnwf:

I did about 10,000kms last year on mine, the Piaggio motor is quite reliable with proper tuning and a good semi-synthetic oil.

What oil do you use John? I like the look of the B Bone frame.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Italjet-Dragster-180-Modified-/280734862360?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item415d1a0c18

If youre in SA or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Italjet-180cc-Dragster-/190572620877?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item2c5f036c4d

if youre in Vic

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 09-08-2011 09:19 AM In reply to

Yeah its on ebay in adelaide, I'm thinking andrew may be correct regarding the reliability. Use to ride plenty of motocrossers YZ/WR/CR 250's never had a problem with reliability. Imagine if you could put this hard hitting powered 2 stroke into a scoot, that would be interesting. Interested to hear about the Honda PCX and Today ? What did you do to make a Today fast ?

• 09-08-2011 07:40 PM In reply to

• johnwf
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-04-2009
    • Canberra
    • Posts 150

Pete,

I use Fuchs Silkolene, a semi-synthetic about $17 litre from Supercheap.  Used it both when standard with oil injection and later when modified with premix.  We have pulled the engine apart several times whilst modifying and it leaves a good film of oil on the crank and piston, also burns well with not much carbon buildup.  Running 40:1 ratio premix.  Tried some other oils but not so good, also found no need to run a full synthetic (especially having regard to cost).

• 09-09-2011 04:42 PM In reply to

Scootc:
    What did you do to make a Today fast ?

Mainly all Kitaco gear. 94cc Kitaco bore, high comp piston, racing head ( double the size valves, harder springs ), racing camshaft 10500rpm, 20mm keihien carb, Cdi, 54% gear up kit, Kitaco variator-clutch....Good enough for maybe 120kmh down hills,on the straights depending on conditions 80-110kmh.....Was really good scoot,handled quite good,stoping power? hmmm..........if you rode it normal it was ok but at high speeds if you needed to stop in hurry was at times bit dicey but hugggeeeee amount of fun though. I would have to say it was probe the best city scoot,would have lasted for ever but i liked to take it cross country racing/touring for 150-400km rides every now and then and that what killed it. It sized up after nearly 400km blast and bent my conrod which after that i couldn't be bothered rebuilding. I realised i just needed a slightly bigger scoot for those rides. As soon as i get another chance i will do up another one and just keep it as purely city racer. Oh and it was faster than many 150cc's out there, acceleration wise and some on top speed as well. I miss it dearly..!

Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 09-09-2011 04:52 PM In reply to

hondatodaydemon:

Scootc:

Mainly all Kitaco gear. 94cc Kitaco bore, high comp piston, racing head ( double the size valves, harder springs ), racing camshaft 10500rpm, 20mm keihien carb, Cdi, 54% gear up kit, Kitaco variator-clutch....Good enough for maybe 120kmh down hills,on the straights depending on conditions 80-110kmh.....Was really good scoot,handled quite good,stoping power? hmmm..........if you rode it normal it was ok but at high speeds if you needed to stop in hurry was at times bit dicey but hugggeeeee amount of fun though. I would have to say it was probe the best city scoot,would have lasted for ever but i liked to take it cross country racing/touring for 150-400km rides every now and then and that what killed it. It sized up after nearly 400km blast and bent my conrod which after that i couldn't be bothered rebuilding. I realised i just needed a slightly bigger scoot for those rides. As soon as i get another chance i will do up another one and just keep it as purely city racer. Oh and it was faster than many 150cc's out there, acceleration wise and some on top speed as well. I miss it dearly..!

Is that the same Today that used to get a mention in the SA Scooter Club forum Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 09-09-2011 06:45 PM In reply to

pyrah:

hondatodaydemon:

Scootc:

Is that the same Today that used to get a mention in the SA Scooter Club forum Big Smile

No idea.....I know there was another one somewhere that way in Aus under alias Ace?? something but i don't thing he ever went the full deal like i have.

Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au