Scooter
Community

Long re-introduction & progress on doing up my Jog

Last post 02-10-2015 01:03 PM by Grentes. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-28-2011 02:47 PM In reply to

Re: Long re-introduction & progress on doing up my Jog

Last week I ordered a cheap vibration based alarm to use in conjunction with the chain, it has a remote control to arm and disarm it, it emits a 120dB alarm, doesn't need wiring to the battery as it runs off it's own (meaning no wires to cut to disarm it by for would be thieves).
    It only has 1 sensitivity setting though, so I hope it isn't too sensitive.

Last Friday I rang Yamaha and booked her in for Thursday, I just dropped her in yesterday.

I'm getting them to:
    1.  install the new front bearings
    2.  install the new back brakes,
    3.  fix the puncture in the back tyre (appeared a few months ago),
    4.  add in the required amount of Injector cleaner I bought (I had no luck finding out how much to add),
    5.  fix the front brake
    6.  install the 2 new upper cowl body parts
    7.  and if they have time check out the electric start system (I only had $240, so only enough for close to 2 1/2 hours of work to be done).

I'm installing the new footwell and side cover (covers the oil tank etc) and small parts like the screws etc that I also ordered for her myself.
    After I get her back from them I'll do that as well as the rest of the sanding and painting, I'd already done one of the upper cowl parts a couple of days before I put the scoot in.

I didn't end up spraying the other upper cowl part glossy black before taking the scoot in as it had a nicely done coat of very dark blue with sparkly bits that shouldn't stand out too much from the other black body parts. 
    I left it be as I knew the paint job already on it would be much better than what I was going to be able do on it going off how dodgy my spray-job on the other cowl part ended up (my first time doing it and not used to using spray paint).

I'm going to sand the bad bits and give them a light spray to fix them up.  I forgot to give it a coat of the clear enamel, so I'll also do that after fixing up the bad parts.

The side cover thing is also the same colour as the cowl part I didn't spray and I might let it stay that colour as well, I'll see how it all looks once all the new parts are installed, I may still spray the 2 parts the glossy black that they are meant to be.

• 10-28-2011 03:02 PM In reply to

Looks like the end is in site what will be the total cost of getting the Jog back on the road ?

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-28-2011 03:41 PM In reply to

Haven't added it all up properly but the cost to get it on the road and in Roadworthy condition will end up being a little bit over $1000 which is good as a used Jog in good condition with low km's, rego and roadworthy costs $1300-$1700 usually unless you find a bargain at the uni or live down in Victoria where scooters are a dime a dozen and usually in good nick.

At the uni, down Victoria and on Ebay you can get scoots with good-avg km's, in ok-good condition already registered and with RWC for $600-$1000, they are usually Bugs, Kymco, some no-name brands and the odd Honda Today/1980 model, not usually Yamaha Jogs, Aerox and other high performance 50cc scoots.
    When those kind of models have come up for sale it's always been too far away to be worth the fuel etc to go and get like down in Brisbane, NSW, VIC or W.A, never anywhere near to here (Townsville).

I only had $500 and no way of saving up more any time soon at the time when I found the ad for my Jog, I was hoping she'd need less work than she ended up needing to pass Roadworthy.
    But I knew with how it had been treated by it's previous 2 owners that it would likely need plenty of work and take awhile to do it (1 owner a young bloke out at one of beaches, the other owner the security guards at the Showgrounds, so she had got regularly ridden in sandy and dirt areas)

If I were good with mechanical things it would have taken about $500 less as I wouldn't have had to pay Yamaha to do the first lot of work to get it working good again and this 2nd lot of work they are doing now to install some of the new parts etc.

I've still got to get together the about $400 I'll need for rego, Roadworthy and insurance and save up $100-$200 to get a helmet and some money for lessons to go for my Ps and then I'll be set, I'm going to be getting that money together in the next couple of weeks.

So all up I've drawn even because of having to get mechanics to do most of the work on it, without out that cost I would have been saving a couple of hundred.

But I'm fine with that as she now has plenty of new parts, will look newer than a used one after I finish spray painting her and shouldn't have many parts left that would fail in the 1 year I'll be using it unlike a used one that appears in good nick that is already rego'd etc that could have major things about to go wrong with it or tonne's of parts that are due for replacing just after you buy it.

• 10-28-2011 03:51 PM In reply to

Good on you mate hope it comes all together for you very very soon Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-29-2011 01:43 PM In reply to

• 10-29-2011 02:11 PM In reply to

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-29-2011 10:24 PM In reply to

qwq123:

I'm guessing a spammer or spambot?

• 11-03-2011 02:32 PM In reply to

Ok, am at the library currently, just picked the scooter up from Yamaha, all up it was $257.35, that was for all the work
    I mentioned in the post at the top of the page as well as a new front brake cable as that was the problem with the front brake.

I've currently got her chained up in sight of where I'm sitting, I'll be riding her home tonight when there is less traffic and less
    chance of running into cops.

The next stage will be installing the other parts I got for her which are the new (used) footwell, new sidecover and various
    nuts, bolts etc that needed replacing and installing with the body parts.
    Then I'll do the rest of the sanding and spray painting of the body and a few other parts and she should be up to Roadworthy
    standards then.
    I'll take a pic of her to post up in this post tonight/tommorrow to show what it looks like with the new parts before I change their colour.

• 11-10-2011 10:52 PM In reply to

Been doing reno's the last couple of days, on Saturday I got an aquaintance to spray paint the body panels that needed it, just got to put the one's that got removed back on again and take some pics, also need to fix up a part where I sprayed too much of the clear acrylic on.

I bought her some mirrors today, very little left for Roadworthy now, woo hoo, will legally have her on the road soon and scooting around, just got to get a new battery box as part of it has cracked off, I discovered that when I went to put on the new battery cover I bought.

• 11-21-2011 09:05 PM In reply to

Ok, here are the pics from the work done that was mentioned in the last post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/67920184@N04/sets/72157628078232815/

Here are the pics from yesterday's work of reinstalling the painted parts as well as installing a few more of the new parts.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/67920184@N04/sets/72157628078434617/

• 11-21-2011 10:25 PM In reply to

• razoo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-12-2011
    • Inner west, Sydney
    • Posts 102

Grentes:
    Here are the pics from yesterday's work of reinstalling the painted parts as well as installing a few more of the new parts.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/67920184@N04/sets/72157628078434617/

That looks terrific! I really enjoyed the detail in your post: an interesting read.

I'm looking forward to seeing you buzzing down the road soon!

Daelim S1 + Peugeot Geopolis 400
  • 01-17-2015 11:28 PM In reply to

A long time since I've been in, a fair bit after that last work I took in for a Roadworthy, ended up about 2 more things to do

which was just get the seat repadded and some small thing, I got them done and she's been on the road since.

My wife had been using her for work here and there, last year had a bunch of parts fail in the part of the engine

where the drive belt is, so eventually bought those parts and eventually got them put in as well as got the front light

problem fixed, so she was offroad for about 3-6 months from that, didn't keep her running often enough, so also needed a new

battery when I got those parts installed.

Need to get a new front wheel rim, the warps in the current one got worse again I think as it wasn't taking much riding to make

the tyre flat and the tyre tried to come off the rim a little last week when my wife rode her to work, they had tapped the rim a bit

to straighten it one of times she'd been in to get new parts installed but that was a while ago.

Be going back to work soon, did some training November last year (2014), applied around while waiting for certificates and then

when through app process for the lic, lic arrived about 10th of December.  Also finally managed to hold onto money saved up for

Learner lessons after about 4 tries (extra bills etc kept coming up each time I'd saved up the $300 or so), I got a few lessons out of the way, just

got to get in a heap of driving in our new used car, some more lessons and then I'll go for my P's.

After doing the rim I most likely will be putting her up for sale, about 1/3rd of the main parts have been replaced since getting her, so should

be good for stripping down for parts for whoever buys her.

So there's an update on things, hope everyone has been well, if not hopefully things pick up for you.

• 02-10-2015 01:03 PM In reply to

Just sold her as is last week because of the frequent troubles with it and how much I'd already spent on her, will

be getting a refund for most of the year of rego as was last done in October.

The new owner is modding her up, putting in race variator etc but keeping her a 50cc still.

I will eventually go a 250cc-350cc one when I get my bike lic again, for now just getting in driving time in the Magna.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au