Scooter
Community

Legs up, left down, right down, both legs down?

Last post 10-12-2011 10:46 PM by razoo. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-30-2011 12:12 PM

Legs up, left down, right down, both legs down?

Hello Everyone,

When you stop at the lights, or anywhere else for that matter, what do you do? Legs up :), left down, right down, both legs down?

I have continued practicing slow speed riding and now don't put my left leg down nearly as much in traffic - slow down a little earlier, creep forward at 5-6km/h and hope that the lights turn green before I have to stop fully and put my leg down.

For me, my right leg stays on my scooter almost 100% of the time. I initially rode with both feet flat in the footwell, but changed shortly after to having my right foot on a 45 degree angle, sole resting on the angled plastic.

What is your riding position like when riding and when stopped?

Ride safe, Jared

Ride safe.
    _________

Riding: Doc, a 2009 Derbi GP1 250
  • 09-30-2011 12:14 PM In reply to

Re: Legs up, left down, right down, both legs down?

Like you I try not to stop if possible but if I do invariably it's the left leg that goes down. Occasionally if I'm not confident (such as the scooter being loaded with shopping) I'll put the right down as well.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 09-30-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

My natural position is right leg down. That's because contrary to some advice, I usually put my bike in neutral when stopped, so I need the left leg to operate the gear lever. This doesn't apply to the scooter, but a habit is a habit... Of course, this changes if I'm on an incline steep enough so I need to use foot brake, but that is pretty rare as I'm usually pretty good at taking off using just the clutch and the throttle.

• 09-30-2011 04:04 PM In reply to

I'm a short *** so usually just the right leg down Smile

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 09-30-2011 05:23 PM In reply to

hmmm I must be strange as I put them both down Stick out tongue

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 09-30-2011 05:23 PM In reply to

Usually left legdown but quite often both.couple of months ago on a wet day put right leg down and foot slipped out from under me (plastized road markings)almost went down lucky my foot griped again.By the way it was the camber of the road that caused me to use my right leg

hatrick
  • 09-30-2011 08:10 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,033

hatrick:
     Usually left legdown but quite often both.couple of months ago on a wet day put right leg down and foot slipped out from under me (plastized road markings)almost went down lucky my foot griped again.By the way it was the camber of the road that caused me to use my right leg

Tell you a funny story , was on a group ride with some Nowra mates a while ago , we stopped in Kiama to link up with a couple more dudes , the weather was so so with very fine drizzle , anyway we pull into a side street , 2 bikes are parked , another guy goes to park but is actually a bit close to the corner , ol mate Dave who is a bit vertcally challenged  comes round the corner , sees the other bike stopped & hits his brakes so hard that his rain pants with him in them slipped forward up onto the fuel tank just sufficiency  to hoist Daves feet about 2'' off the road , so he had no feet to put on the ground  so you can guess where he finished up , my wife was behind him on her scooter as it happened but could do no more than watch it all unfold , luckily the bike landed very softly , the only thing to follow was Dave laughing his head off saying that it wasn't his short legs but the high tank that was to blame.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 09-30-2011 09:02 PM In reply to

Right Leg first, then left. I've never ridden a manual motorcycle on road, so I should probably change that to Left leg first, so that the right leg can brake.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 09-30-2011 09:16 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

jshowyin:

.....having my right foot on a 45 degree angle, sole resting on the angled plastic.

Hey Jared......do you have both feet forward like that or just the right? I find with the dririder boots on I can dig my heels in inder the little cut out & get extra grip that way. It's sort of a feet forward style like on a harley with forward controls - only the X-Hot & Bbone offer this riding position from what I've seen.

2010 PGO X-Hot 150cc - clocking up the kays
    2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
    2005 Vmoto Monza 50cc - in the rebuild phase
    2002 Aprilia SR50 50cc - currently out on loan
  • 10-01-2011 06:00 AM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Mostly left. Occasionally I'll put the right down if the road is greasy, but it's habit that it's left down. I think it comes from DECA training years ago, where we learned to ride manual motorcycles. If I'm pillioning someone, both go down as usually it's the 10year old Nephew who is never sitting still and can unbalance me. Good topic.

DOZER.
  • 10-01-2011 09:50 AM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 513

jshowyin:
    slow down a little earlier, creep forward at 5-6km/h and hope that the lights turn green before I have to stop fully and put my leg down.

Used to do this a bit for fun, but then I get really annoyed when cars creep forward at 1-3km/h in front of me so I stopped :).

My MOST instructor on a CB250 showed his skill to us by staying stationary purely with rearbrake and throttle - he probably only moved like 1-2cm in the 10 or so seconds he stayed stationary. Ideally I'd love to do this at traffic lights but I'm no where near that good :D

Wilson

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R
  • 10-01-2011 11:53 AM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Left leg down.

This is a habit learned when I were a lad because godfearing bikes were made in England and had their gearlevers on the right. Thus you stop, put your left foot down, then spend an entire traffic light sequence fiddling around trying to put the bloody thing in neutral before it's time to go again. You always tried for neutral because the cork-lined clutches of the day didn't like being held out for too long.

The Red Menace
  • 10-01-2011 12:54 PM In reply to

• eichkay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2011
    • Perth
    • Posts 4

I recently went for my 250 licence and the requirement was left leg down and clutch in with bike in gear and right foot on the rear brake.. On a scooter its neither here nor there for that riding practice but ideally a good idea to get into the habbit of.

Highly Modified 1974 Honda CT70
  • 10-01-2011 01:51 PM In reply to

DaveO:

You always tried for neutral because the cork-lined clutches of the day didn't like being held out for too long.

Clutches might've improved but our hands have not... I disagree with the wisdom of staying in gear at the stop for a number of reasons so I never do it and since that never caused me any problems, I think I will continue to go my way on this one.

• 10-01-2011 03:39 PM In reply to

ferrix:

DaveO:

You always tried for neutral because the cork-lined clutches of the day didn't like being held out for too long.

Clutches might've improved but our hands have not... I disagree with the wisdom of staying in gear at the stop for a number of reasons so I never do it and since that never caused me any problems, I think I will continue to go my way on this one.

+1 for Ferrix

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au