Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

NAVMAN/GPS /SCOOTER?

Last post 11-01-2012 01:47 PM by DaelimMonkey. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-06-2011 01:56 PM

NAVMAN/GPS /SCOOTER?

i all,

As my Beo 200 has a small windscreen I experimented with my Navman, using the power output under the seat and, of course, adhering the unit to the windscreen as you would in a car.

I had limited success...1. I couldn't really hear the instructions unless stopped...2. I couldn't see the map all that well unless stopped. I should add that it was the smallest screen size Navman available and that I use glasses for reading.

Thing is, this is all moot as I just rode over a bump on the expressway and the Navman was bounced out of its holder and I think that U know the rest of the story.

A few thoughts....1. I'd imagine that a Navman with a larger screen would be easier to read ( do'h !) but with the extra weight the unit would wobble around more on the flexible Beo screen.        

2.  I could use my open face helmet and run a small listening device-and ear piece of some kind -under the helmet. Do Navmen could with a sound jack to allow this, I wonder??

i only use the nav device occasionally as I generally use the scoot locally on known routes

Any thoughts ??

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-06-2011 02:04 PM In reply to

Re: NAVMAN/GPS /SCOOTER?

I have a simple mobile, Nokia C5, with an application called Maps which is a GPS. I use this application, with earplugs (not buds which hurt like hell) on under my helmet to hear the instructions. The application costs a minimum amount a year, coupled with an internet package on the phone, meaning it costs very little to run. I also have a 32GB MicroSD card in the phone which allows me to play music loaded on the card while also listening to GPS instructions.

The instructions are easy to hear, there's no distraction of trying to look at the screen while riding (or having to pull over regularly), using the ear plugs means my hearing is protected from wind noise while still being able to hear traffic around me (something that has saved my skin on atleast a couple of occasions), the phone can remain in my pocket as there's no need for it to be able to "see" the satellite like the car GPS' AND I can enjoy music at the same time. Cool

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 10-06-2011 02:13 PM In reply to

I would suggest not trying your luck with another GPS intended for cars - get one designed especially for bikes that will come with the kit to mount it on handlebars rather than windscreen. If you don't actually use it all that much, I'd suggest looking for one of those units sold by ALDI now and then - they are not very good by all accounts but they are cheap and I think they will work out cheaper than dropping another one!

• 10-06-2011 04:08 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

ferrix:
    I'd suggest looking for one of those units sold by ALDI now and then - they are not very good by all accounts but they are cheap and I think they will work out cheaper than dropping another one!

What do ya mean "not very good by all accounts " Smile , i've been using one now for just on 2yrs , it displays very well , not quite as intelligent as a tomtom  but for the tiny price i paid for it , its very usefull although i don't use the voice over thingy , it mounts onto my Vespa so well , i just quickly glance at the screen to find my way , its actually completely water resistant , having tested it with the garden hose on full sharp pressure , i would recommend it to anybody who wants a nav unit but can't afford or justify the $700 plus to get a top brand m/cycle specific nav .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 10-06-2011 04:19 PM In reply to

I use a TomTom Start10 with the sound turned off you can pick them up for less than $100 

• 10-06-2011 06:34 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

pyrah:

I use a TomTom Start10 with the sound turned off you can pick them up for less than $100 

I used one of those on my old VBC once , it worked fine but i did not like the rain {about 5hrs worth Smile} , luckily it started to work again the next day so i just use it in the car now but a friend of mine bought a proper TomTom sealed wallet with a window & this very well sealed zipper for about $10 at Harvey Norman , i reckon that would make him pretty good in the rain , but yeah those little Start 10's work like a beauty & of course the price is a real bonus.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 10-06-2011 07:33 PM In reply to

Thanks I will look out for one of those wallets

edit something like this looks promising

• 10-07-2011 08:54 AM In reply to

I second Wanda and the phone idea. It works, and it's one less thing to cart around.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 10-07-2011 09:32 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

wombat:
    I second Wanda and the phone idea. It works, and it's one less thing to cart around

Yes it would work well , but if you need the internet to work it , how much does it cost to run ? if you have the nav going for say 8hrs , have thought about an I phone but thats the part that worries me --the $$$$

• 10-07-2011 09:33 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

pyrah:

Thanks I will look out for one of those wallets

edit something like this looks promising

Yeah , thats the one , the guy i was talking to who uses one says he's had it in some pretty heavy rain & also gave it a good long blast with the garden hose & all seemed very water tight , he's using a Tom Tom 10 , but the wallet would hold nearly any brand of nav provided it was of the more slimline design as most of the newer ones are .

• 10-07-2011 12:56 PM In reply to

Does the phone gps work were there is no phone coverage there a lot of that around here Smile

• 10-07-2011 03:04 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

pyrah:
     Does the phone gps work were there is no phone coverage there a lot of that around here

Good point , mobile phone -- signal = no internet  , thus no GPS running via internet , that wouldn't suit me , thats when i'd want it to work , when i'm out in the never neverBig Smile

• 10-07-2011 06:10 PM In reply to

I believe my Nokia E72 works on satellite only, no internet no data downloads, but it's slower. I'll check tomorrow and get back to the forum. It involves changing the settings on the phone.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 10-07-2011 06:41 PM In reply to

WOW AND THANKS

WOW AND THANKS,

tried the phone idea.....I have a Nokia C7 which  I don't like + don't use but it worked fine for this purpose.

I used some Nokia buds I had , first with open face and then with FF helmet....all worked fine.

I even tried changing route contary to what I was instructed.....machine sorted itself out and on we went.

Thanks again for this simple and easy idea although I do like the look of the holder that someone posted above.

2 dumb musings.........

1. The plug of the earphones is a small stereo plug leading, of course, to two bud earphones. I 'm keen to cut off one bud. I know that sound is stereo but, as I won't use this set for music, I don't care. My idea is two have less cables to worry about and still get clear instruction. That should work ?

2.  I'm going on motor scooter holiday of Philippines in 10 days.......if I install local sim card in this phone, I should be able to do the same "vocal GPS"??

Pity that my Tagalog is not that good.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-07-2011 07:19 PM In reply to

wombat:

I believe my Nokia E72 works on satellite only, no internet no data downloads, but it's slower. I'll check tomorrow and get back to the forum. It involves changing the settings on the phone.

Strictly speaking, GPS always works independently of Internet. The only reason your basic GPS applications need Internet access is to display your position on screen in map form instead of lattitude/longitude numbers because they get that map from Google (usually). But you can get an application that uses its own maps instead. Since they are always stored on your phone, there is no need for internet connectivity at all. The downside is, you usually have to pay for an application like that. On my Android phone I've got an app called CoPilot, it cost me something like 30 bucks but it was one-off cost, no yearly fees or anything like that so I got it even though to be honest I rarely need it... but it's nice to know it's there if I get lost and I don't have my GPS.

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au