Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Lessons Learned

Last post 12-03-2011 02:51 PM by pyrah. 72 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-30-2011 12:56 AM

Lessons Learned

it's now 6 sleeps until R class test (>250cc) & HOPEFULLY I'll be riding my beautiful Ruby home from Ace Scooters.

Having been encouraged by Steve@Ace (THANKS!) to do a lesson with a good instructor, someone who gave me some techniques (see below) to increase my confidence in doing uturns. Before the lesson I'd been trying uturns on a 50cc & was badly shaken & anxious. After the lesson I was slightly more confident & feeling none of the anxiety of before.

The next day I hired a 50cc scooter for a couple of weeks in order to weed out some bad habits that the instructor had picked up on (I thought I was doing the right thing honest!) as well as practicing those horrid uturns.

The practicing of the uturns & general riding went fairly well with daily practice down the local primary school, the only local carpark that is any kind of decent condition & on a similar slope to the one that I'll more than likely be doing uturns on for the test. The ranger now knows me quite well thanks to people who have called concerned about the suspicous looking person riding round and round (and round an round) the primary school carpark.

Today I headed off up to Ace, in the car, so I could borrow the demo GTS (with my Don receiving a makeover at the spraypainter) to practice those godawful uturns on something that would more closely resemble the GTS Super that will be ued for the test. At first I was horrified at the feel of the GTS as it felt more like a PX (weighted to the side) & unwieldy after weeks of riding the 50cc scoot around & I actually returned to the shop feeling embarrassed but having to ask the mechanic to check the steering & tyre pressure of the bike if only to reassure myself that it WAS me, not the bike, that felt wrong.

Of course there was nothing wrong with the mighty Vespa & so I headed off again. Knowing that the local shopping centre carpark would be busy & that I would have to do similar riding there as to that being done for the uturns (ie small amount of throttle with speed adjusted with back brake) I headed across & spent time riding around dodging traffic & operating the throttle/brake combo like mad. Eventually I headed over to an area of the carpark that had virtually no cars to try out some uturns around the 1m sq islands seperating portions of the carpark.

As Steve has suggested before I started with large circles, riding around two of the islands, before reducing the size so I was only riding around one... then decided to have some fun with it & started doing figure 8s around the two islands... by the time I left the carpark I was grinning like an idiot & barely containing the giggles.

So... will I be able to do the uturns on Friday in the carpark.... maybe. I have one last, hour long, lesson before the test, finally heading out on the Super with Trevor from ABC Motorcycle Training.

The techniques suggested by the instructor were -

forget the brake, just use the throttle & ride in large circles, gradually reducing the size. Once you have the throttle control down-pat then introduce some brake to slow it all down & reduce the size of the circles further.

break the uturn up into portions. I had real trouble with the first portion of the uturn, turning the bars to turn right was VERY unsettling, & so forgot about the second part but kept practicing the first part over & over. Basically it's like riding around a corner, but to the right instead of to the left.

When turning forget where you think the scooter is going, focus instead totally on where you want the scooter to go. It will naturally follow & if it doesn't... so what. In a carpark it doesn't exactly matter.

& finally - if you don't quite nail the uturns it doesn't matter a huge amount, just get them as small as you can. You may lose a point, but just stay focussed on the ride as a whole as that's where you'll pass or fail the test.

OK, maybe not all of that was from the instructor but it's made a hell a lot of sense to me & has come together to mean I'm far more confident about doing those bloody uturns & passing the test than I ever thought I would be!

THIS is what it's all about -

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 10-30-2011 07:01 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Re: Lessons Learned

Yes

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 10-30-2011 08:30 AM In reply to

5 more sleeps ?  Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-31-2011 11:09 AM In reply to

4 sleeps & the weather forecasters are predicting rain for Friday. Still, the weather is highly changeable at this time of year so I'll keep an eye on the forecast & hope it's going to be fine.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 10-31-2011 04:16 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

You can doooo eeeeet!!!

the good thing about joondalup center is that most of the assessors there really badly wanting  the testee to pass......even when I started having a panic attack 5 mins iinto my *** attempt, the assessor told me to just sit and wait untill i was ready to continue. Even when I said I wanted to give up the assessment, he encouraged me to just give it a shot. And true what you mention, some will bypass a testee's not-so-good uturn or ebrake if they can see you are at least competant out on the roads.

• 10-31-2011 06:36 PM In reply to

• jonners
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Perth (western 'burbs)
    • Posts 248

^^^ I really hope no assessors overlook something as serious as being able to do an emergency stop!

Vespa PX 200 (black)

Piaggio Fly 150 (white)

Suzuki Vstrom (dl650) (red)
  • 10-31-2011 07:02 PM In reply to

Scooternut:

Needs a matching hat Wanda

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 10-31-2011 07:09 PM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:

Needs a matching hat Wanda

It certainly does! I've asked Steve@Ace to order one of these for me

Wanda
  • 10-31-2011 08:38 PM In reply to

Wink LOL carry on like this Wanda & Steve Will be able to afford another Holiday in Scotland Stick out tongue 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-31-2011 08:49 PM In reply to

haha fortunately this won't be hitting my budget as badly as it appears. I've actually been able to work it in so that there won't be any increase in my monthly expenditures at all! Geeked

Wanda
  • 11-01-2011 09:23 AM In reply to

SleepSleepSleepYes 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-02-2011 05:08 AM In reply to

Left HugSleepSleepRight Hug

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-02-2011 07:28 PM In reply to

Yup & still hoping desperately for a fine day. Current forecast for Friday is "a shower or two", which could mean anything at this time of year.

Wanda
  • 11-03-2011 09:56 AM In reply to

Left HugSleepRight Hug 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-03-2011 02:27 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Left HugSleepRight Hug 

Yep Big Smile and am quietly confident but not counting my chickens at the same time.

Wanda
Page 1 of 5 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au