Scooter
Community

Very Confused about which Scooter to get Super 8, typhoon, Yamaha?

Last post 12-22-2011 10:13 AM by DaelimMonkey. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2011 06:08 PM

• Alain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2011
    • Posts 3

Very Confused about which Scooter to get Super 8, typhoon, Yamaha?

Hi all,

After reading reviews, comparing specs i am getting quite confused about which scooter to get. I have managed to narrow my choices down to three (maybe 4.... or 5.... or 6 if someone gives me another suggestion)

I have decided on a 125cc engine as going by peoples recommendations, it seems a 125 will allow comfortable inner city driving (60 - 80k), and the once in a blue moon 100km spurt. Which is awesome because that is mainly what i will be using it for. Commuting to work, train station etc.. very rarely on a 110km freeway if at all.

I am more interested in safety than price. (To a certain extent, budget is $5,000 maximum) But being I am only new to this, safety is the most important thing for now. Once i get more experience, i may in the future go for speed, cornering etc..

My choices are as follows

New Piaggio Typhoon 125. I like the big balloon tyres, wider tyres means more contact on the road which equals safe. Also looks good and it's a piaggio which doesn't seem to have to many mechanical probs?

Yamaha BWS 125cc. From what i have read, it's a yamaha and hence bullet proof. Found many rave reviews for the BWS 100, not so much on the 125cc. From the few i have found, seems to be all good!.

Kymco Super 8 125. I like this one, has big wheels, good brakes and a look at me style which will hopefully equate to me being seen by cars. I have also been told big wheels equal stability while smaller ones equal maneuverability? correct? yes? no? go to hell?  There are allot of potholes where i live (then again, sydney has many potholes) and the big wheels help, so i have been told.

The 2 wild cards which i was tossing up but are probably out of the running (unless someone can convince me) was a Daelim Bbone, but it seems very impractical. Where will I keep my helmet? But i do like the safety feature of the brakes. Brakes are disc front and rear and linked, linked meaning the left lever links the front and rear when breaking which again, i have been told is a good thing. 

The other is the new Honda Dio, but it has very thin wheels.

Any help or posts of abuse will be appreciated!

• 12-07-2011 08:04 PM In reply to

• zuma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • sydney`s beautiful northern beaches
    • Posts 92

Re: Very Confused about which Scooter to get Super 8, typhoon, Yamaha?

check out the honda pcx 125, all the main features of the yamaha bws 125 and a few extras like combi brake, idle stop, liquid cooling,

large diameter wheels and will sit on 100kph easily.

and you should be able to pick one up for less than $4500 new!

• 12-07-2011 08:21 PM In reply to

• emil_io
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-16-2011
    • Melbourne, Victoria
    • Posts 323

Of the three you mention, all are good in my opinion and I don't think you'd be dissapointed with any of them.

Personally I'd go for the Kymco, only because I like the look, the big wheels, and I'm biased because one of my rides is a Kymco Like 125 with nearly 10,000km on the clock and never a single problem Big Smile

That said, the Yamaha and Piaggio are great, from excellent brands and have longer service intervals. I like the look of the Typhoon, they will probably have better resale value too.

You should look at the Piaggio Fly 150 too.

Kymco Like 125

Vespa PX 200
  • 12-07-2011 08:54 PM In reply to

Big Smile Would defiantly take a look at the Honda PCX

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-07-2011 09:57 PM In reply to

Yep, of the three you've mentioned I'd go for the PCX :)

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 12-08-2011 12:02 AM In reply to

Devil [6] Re: Very Confused about which Scooter to get Super 8, typhoon, Yamaha?

But you are so close... if you only extend your budget by another 2-300 bucks, you could get PGO G-Max - at 220cc almost twice the scooters you've mentioned!

Come on, you know you want to.

• 12-08-2011 08:53 AM In reply to

ferrix:

But you are so close... if you only extend your budget by another 2-300 bucks, you could get PGO G-Max - at 220cc almost twice the scooters you've mentioned!

Devil Yep i thought about a mention of the G-max 220i Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-08-2011 10:15 AM In reply to

• Alain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2011
    • Posts 3

Honda PCX looks attractive and is still within budget...... hmmmmm.... now i am even more confused. Damn!

• 12-08-2011 07:28 PM In reply to

If you have rough roads then go for the fat tyred typhoon or beewee 125 (4 stroke) The Yamaha would have a greater range of service centres in case the closest one is less than desireable, and probably better resale.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 12-08-2011 07:58 PM In reply to

SYM's ar egood and I think they have  a four year warro.

Consider getting at least a 150cc, as I was sorely dissapointed in getting a 125, once I did need to hit some freeways.

Also think of tanks size.  It would get fustrating to have to keep filling up a 4 litre tank.  Mine was 9.6L so I stoked with that.

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 12-17-2011 10:44 AM In reply to

not all scooters are built the same. you need to get on the choices and ride them. this will allow you to find out which scooter is the best suited to your needs.

i have taken the new typhoon for a test ride as ace scooters has one on the showroom floor.

ridden the kymco super 8 and 9.

haven't ridden th honda or yamaha.

argentum melle
  • 12-18-2011 07:29 PM In reply to

• Alain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2011
    • Posts 3

silverflyer:

not all scooters are built the same. you need to get on the choices and ride them. this will allow you to find out which scooter is the best suited to your needs.

i have taken the new typhoon for a test ride as ace scooters has one on the showroom floor.

thanks for all your help!!. Will definately be taking them for a test drive, been a bit hard with christmas coming up (family and work committments).

I did manage to see the Honda Pcx and it does look very nice in person!!

From the Super 8 and the new piaggio you test drove, which one did you like?

• 12-19-2011 10:59 AM In reply to

Alain:

silverflyer:

thanks for all your help!!. Will definately be taking them for a test drive, been a bit hard with christmas coming up (family and work committments).

I did manage to see the Honda Pcx and it does look very nice in person!!

From the Super 8 and the new piaggio you test drove, which one did you like?

either of them are good. but the typhoon is more comfortable compared to the super 8 which had a more sporty feel to them.

go the typhoon. uses same engine as the fly.

argentum melle
  • 12-22-2011 10:13 AM In reply to

ferrix:

I agree with this suggestion.  I'm considering one as a little brother to my Kymco, for city riding.

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au