Scooter
Community

NRMA - no H.E.L.P. for two wheels

Last post 01-13-2012 09:21 PM by DaelimMonkey. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-31-2011 01:00 PM

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

NRMA - no H.E.L.P. for two wheels

I have been a member of NRMA for 25 years but let my membership lapse because I no longer have a car.

On Tuesday I broke down in Port Macquarie - the two mc shops in town were closed over the Xmas-NewYear period. [Why don't shops advertise an emergency/after hours number ].

Out of desperation I rang NRMA who assured me they would send a bloke who would get me back on the road... AFTER I had paid $159 to renew my membership. Grudgingly handed over my credit card details and patiently waited more than an hour for the NRMA bloke to turn up.

Well he turns up, scratches his head, and says "nuffin I can do love".
    He hasn't even looked at it - didn't ask me what happened - just decided he couldn't fix it before he got out of his car!
    "I'll call the towie" he says.
    "To tow it where?" says I.
    "Aw, I spose he'll tow it to one of the two MC shops in town".
    "Would that be the two MC shops that are closed until 2nd January?"

So he rings the towie, who says he can't come now but will come in the morning. Leave the bike in the middle of the main street overnight
    Oh, and he'll need my help to LIFT the bike onto the back of the truck coz he hasn't got any ramps!!

Useless - totally utterly useless!!
    So I've paid $159 but no H.E.L.P. was forthcoming.
    You would think these guys would at least have a list of mobile/emergency numbers to call for things like this. Nope - motorcycles don't exist as far as NRMA are concerned - only cars.

The story does end well with Ulysses coming to the rescue with many thanks to the fabulous Dom Sullivan at PROTECH who gave up his Xmas break to fix my bike.
    What a champion!!

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 12-31-2011 01:01 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Re: NRMA - no H.E.L.P. for two wheels

The culprit:

These are designed to slow cars down in a high pedestrian area.
    They are in fact worse than the tarmac on Bucketts Way and as I went over them it shook the fillings out of my teeth.

The other effect was that it shook my ignition to pieces. (My bike is in perfect working order and just had a major service.)
    It only took Dom 5 minutes to solder the ignition back together - but it took 4 hours to locate, and take out, the gazillion screws holding the front fairings on....

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 12-31-2011 01:51 PM In reply to

• t2bitha
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Brisbane Suburbs
    • Posts 508

ouch - well it could have been worse.  $$ are not as expensive as an injury. might be time to add bike friendly call out mecanics in a few more towns to your mc network.

that is one big speed hump thru the main street of town.  hardly something most road users could miss. especially in such a busy area.

HONDA  owners have the riders club which is only about $70 a year.plus the backup of dealers and parts in most towns travelling around in.

35 000 scooting kms and beyond

www.facebook.com/VespadventuresInOz
  • 12-31-2011 02:08 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

t2bitha:
    might be time to add bike friendly call out mecanics in a few more towns to your mc network.

I was thinking that myself...

t2bitha:
    hardly something most road users could miss

Most everyone was going 10-20kms an hour over it - including myself as i was also busily looking around for street names Indifferent

but one local on a postie came screaming over the "hump" to launch himself over the top of the corrugations Cool - I'm thinking from past experience he has also lost all the fillings in his teeth too Tongue Tied

• 12-31-2011 03:51 PM In reply to

Ulysses Yes

HONDA  owners have the riders club which is only about $70 a year.plus the backup of dealers and parts in most towns travelling around in.

The riders club finished in February 2010 its now Rider Assist for Honda owners

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-31-2011 04:09 PM In reply to

Send the repair bill to the council !!

They are responsible for the damage caused by their infrastructure.

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 12-31-2011 05:34 PM In reply to

Jax, Deb Monahan (Monaland) does a lot of Ulysses business (cheap greenslips) and have a breakdown service 24/7 for a low $55 for bikes. http://www.monaland.com.au/" target="_blank" title=" http://www.monaland.com.au/"> http://www.monaland.com.au/

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 01-01-2012 09:32 AM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 518

Is there anything out there for non-Honda owners and non-Ulysses members?

Wilson

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R / Piaggio Fly 150 3V
  • 01-01-2012 12:26 PM In reply to

wleung:

Is there anything out there for non-Honda owners and non-Ulysses members?

Wilson

I'm not 100% sure but I think that road service at Monaland is open to everyone, not just Ulysses members. And there are a number of other roadside services around Sydney. Close Motorcycles in Redfern had a whole rack of business cards at their service counter so I imagine other bike shops might be a source of such info as well.

• 01-01-2012 11:41 PM In reply to

• Rosa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2009
    • Nowra
    • Posts 50

Jax , put it all in writing and send it to NRMA Roadservice at Villawood , they take that sort of crap very seriously , the Towie needs a kick up the wotsy , thats why he has a tilt tray truck , the NRMA patrolman would have access to local a/hrs numbers for the various mechs in his town cause they usuallly have to come & unlock gates etc for the NRMA towie to deliver the vehicle , what they have spun you is a great load of bull , don't stand for it , the NRMA will be on your side .

PS -woops done it again , its Brad here not Sharon , i better log out of hers & into mine hey.

Vintage red ones go even faster.
  • 01-02-2012 03:39 PM In reply to

• Rosa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2009
    • Nowra
    • Posts 50

Rosa:

Jax , put it all in writing and send it to NRMA Roadservice at Villawood , they take that sort of crap very seriously , the Towie needs a kick up the wotsy , thats why he has a tilt tray truck , the NRMA patrolman would have access to local a/hrs numbers for the various mechs in his town cause they usuallly have to come & unlock gates etc for the NRMA towie to deliver the vehicle , what they have spun you is a great load of bull , don't stand for it , the NRMA will be on your side .

PS -woops done it again , its Brad here not Sharon , i better log out of hers & into mine hey.

but bradr forgot to mention our latest family member..........

• 01-02-2012 03:52 PM In reply to

Big Smile Honda CB400 ? Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 01-02-2012 08:42 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

pyrah:

Big Smile Honda CB400 ? Big Smile

Nice one guys, that should be fun! Welcome to the dark side!

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 01-02-2012 09:38 PM In reply to

• Rosa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2009
    • Nowra
    • Posts 50

Yep, a CB400, 2009 model with one lady owner and only 1250 klms on the clock. He's catching up with you, Pete!

• 01-12-2012 01:12 PM In reply to

I've since spoken to a Vespa rider who says his got NRMA Roadside for both his scoots.

However, I would question the level of level of repair or help that could be given to scoots.  I guess all they can do is organise a tow.

That;s no real help.   That's why I ask people to carry the basic minimum of equipment and supplies on them at all times.

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/p/17358/129408.aspx#129408

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au