Scooter
Community

Need advice on upgrading scooter

Last post 02-04-2012 02:29 PM by MangaGal. 91 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (92 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2012 07:40 PM

Need advice on upgrading scooter

Hi people

I'm wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I commute to work on scooter. Recently I started a new job which required me to on 100km/h highway and the trip is a good 30-min ride (and 10-min of 100km/h ride). On one stretch of the highway is uphill. I'm finding my reliable Sym VS125 struggles to get to the top of the hill while maintaining at 100km/h speed. I'm conscious about cars tail gating me because by the time I get on top of the hill my speed would have slowed down to 80km/h. :( 

I'm considering upgrading my scoot. I'm sad to have to think about letting my VS125 go. I'm just worried one day my scoot would break down on me while on the highway. I've heard it happened before to someone else. 

I'm tossing between a 150cc or 200cc. I was going to save enough money for a Vespa 300cc GTS but can't afford it right now. 

Just thinking to ask you guys whether you think 150cc would be enough to do the job for me? Or 200cc would be better? I also want to try to keep the rego costs down. 

Thanks guys. 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Mister Meaner" Beverly 250
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 01-22-2012 08:38 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Re: Need advice on upgrading scooter

I would go HD 200 or Scarabeo 200, something in this class as a minimum.150 will still not do this trip..

If you like SYM you will like the HD.

If you have 6 to spend or can trade in the VS go Citycom, Firenze 300 or X Motion 300 which are all around the 6K mark Ride Away. These would make for great commuting options where 100 - 120 is needed. 

Even take a look at 2nd hand models on the above. Some great prices available these days. Or a 2nd hand GTS 250 if you want a Vespa.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-22-2012 08:45 PM In reply to

Thanks Allen. You've given me heaps to start with. So I'll check them all out for sure. :) 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 01-22-2012 09:09 PM In reply to

Is the PGO G-MAX 220i in the price range ? . Also new Scarabeo 200i  here this year http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-4049-2012-aprilia-scarabeo-200.aspx so pick up the old model cheaper or go the latest Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 01-22-2012 09:17 PM In reply to

I actually haven't decided how much I want to spend... I'm looking at 2nd hand, and around 2500... I bought my scoot outright but this time I will need to apply for loan. I think my scoot can trade in for about 1K maybe more, depends I suppose. 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 01-22-2012 09:19 PM In reply to

PGO G-Max 220 looks pretty sweet. Embarrassed

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 01-22-2012 09:32 PM In reply to

Do you only ever intend to use the scooter, for your commute? IF that is the case then go for some of the already suggested machines Wink. However, if you are looking to go for longer rides etc, then look to a larger machine in the 250cc plus range, even s/hand. Be a shame to buy smaller now, THEN realise in say 6 months time, you should have taken the plunge on a bigger machine.......

Cheers,

Jack.

Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 01-22-2012 09:46 PM In reply to

vespajack:
    Do you only ever intend to use the scooter, for your commute?

Yes, I only use the scoot to commute or in a case of emergency (eg my car is in service or something). Not for long rides. 

Yeah, I'd like to get a bigger engine, not bigger physically because I'm short and quite little. I could just push the VS. So I need to test ride all these models to make sure I can pick handle them physically. Otherwise, it would be too clumsy for me. Embarrassed 

The PGO G-Max is a sports scoot. Nice looking but the review says it's not for short people. Sad 

I will definitely test ride the Scarabeo 200 and HD 200, just have to call around this week. Thanks for the advice btw.

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 01-22-2012 10:08 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Ive noticed some good prices on second hand Vespa GT200's . About $1000 bucks cheaper than a 2nd hand 250 and would be capable of MangaGal's commute.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 01-22-2012 10:40 PM In reply to

If you're a shorty (like me) you might want to try the Bolwell Le Grande. It's very low, nicely balanced & more than capable of 100kmph. It also has a massive underseat storage space & flat floorwell. It has the same engine as the HD200.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-22-2012 10:56 PM In reply to

Scooternut:
    If you're a shorty (like me) you might want to try the Bolwell Le Grande.

Thanks. It looks a bit big for me... I'll check it out though. Smile

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 01-22-2012 11:34 PM In reply to

it does have a longish wheelbase but with the seat height incredibly low it's very comfortable. Give it a go.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-23-2012 06:48 PM In reply to

Scooternut:

it does have a longish wheelbase but with the seat height incredibly low it's very comfortable. Give it a go.

Ok thanks. I think I still prefer a slim/compact scoot. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

I called my scoot dealer and he's got the hd200 in the showroom that I can test ride. I might do that next week. He's also a Vespa dealer so I might test ride the GT if he's got it. The hd200 is $5k ride away. I didn't ask him about the Vespa price range. I would imagine a lot more expensive. I might check out if he's got any 2nd hand Vespa. 

Still have to call the bank and see if I can get a loan pre approve. My only concern is I just started a new job... :( I'm debt free though (apart from hecs). We'll see. Wish me luck guys! 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 01-23-2012 06:59 PM In reply to

MangaGal:

Scooternut:

Ok thanks. I think I still prefer a slim/compact scoot. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

I called my scoot dealer and he's got the hd200 in the showroom that I can test ride. I might do that next week. He's also a Vespa dealer so I might test ride the GT if he's got it. The hd200 is $5k ride away. I didn't ask him about the Vespa price range. I would imagine a lot more expensive. I might check out if he's got any 2nd hand Vespa. 

Still have to call the bank and see if I can get a loan pre approve. My only concern is I just started a new job... :( I'm debt free though (apart from hecs). We'll see. Wish me luck guys! 

Just a suggestion.....Have a look around for a Vespa GT200  if your on a budget...just as a guide you could pick up 2005 GT200 between $4000-$4500....try the Vespa wizard in Melbourne he has one for $4K I think and you wont be disapointed with the performance.

cheers Mike

• 01-23-2012 07:23 PM In reply to

Brighton Belle:
    Just a suggestion.....Have a look around for a Vespa GT200  if your on a budget...just as a guide you could pick up 2005 GT200 between $4000-$4500....try the Vespa wizard in Melbourne he has one for $4K I think and you wont be disapointed with the performance.

Thanks Mike. Will do. Smile

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
Page 1 of 7 (92 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au