Scooter
Community

VIC Newbie need advise and help

Last post 04-30-2016 08:58 PM by gaz. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2012 01:44 PM

VIC Newbie need advise and help

Hi all, I am Andy, i hold full driver license and over 30s. I really/alway dream of having a bike since kids. Since Nov last year, my 4 yr old daughter alway like to go on the ride on our electric scooter and my schwinn stingray with 2seats trailer. My dad used to owned afew Charlie (honda) and C70 and C60.. most of the 50-70cc scooters (Thats back when we were oversea)...

Now here i really love to earn myself a Motorbike license and Love to have Vespa Lx125 or S125 (used ones). But there are some question i need to know.

- Can I buy a scooter and register under my name (even though i dont have a license)?

- As for pillion (i know only full license can carry passenger) what is the minimum age u can carry?

- This site is very informative and i learn alot of it, I am aware of RideTek in dandenong (thats where i am).

The scooter is going to be used to drive around to the shop and home and around my area... I dont know maybe it sounds abit silly but I just love to have it, and it ran through my mine many months, seems like something nagging me. Wife allows me to get a license but havent ask for scooter yet hehe..

Any suggestion, help and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 02-02-2012 02:50 PM In reply to

Re: VIC Newbie need advise and help

Welcome Andy as far as i now you can register in your name without having that category license yet . Me thinks most states to ride pillion you have to be 8 years old and tall enough to reach the foot pegs Big Smile

http://kidbikers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=25

• 02-02-2012 03:55 PM In reply to

Thank you for the quick reply... 8 Year old and tall enough to reach the pegs. otherwise in Sidecar.

Thanks again.... Let me try to get the license first then we will talk about which bike is suitable for me?

Thanks

• 02-02-2012 04:31 PM In reply to

I'm in Vic about a year ahead of you in the process. Started dreaming about Jan 2011, got the Learner's in May, license in november.

You can register a motorcycle without having a motorcycle license, I did. Learner's are conducted through a third party (not vicroads) like DECA, or Honda Australia Rider Training (I think they do the testing at Sandown Raceway).

If you have a full license, you only need your Learner's for 3 months before attempting the license test. Once you pass (and you will) you get a 'restricted' license, which is just like a Learner's except you don't show any plates. 12 months on a restricted license and you can carry a pillion (as long as they're over 8 and can reach the pegs)

Go for it!

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 02-02-2012 05:34 PM In reply to

Thank wombat, I would love to, Trying to contact Ridetek but their phone line was busy all day. Luckily got through one person, she said she will call back, but didnt. I will try again. Just want to ask her afew things... Because i work 6days. Sat i finish at 3pm. and i want to know if they have anything like Saturday late class or anything like that.... Also want to know how many hours do i have to attend per day and how many day are there to attend sort of thing? Never mind, might have to call them again tomorrow.

Thanks (with jealousy)

• 02-02-2012 07:01 PM In reply to

Give Motorcycle motion a call, they do training at Sandown (I don't think that's far from you, but I'm in Bendigo and all Melbourne is far away to me)

http://www.motorcyclemotion.com.au/

And they work sundays.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 02-03-2012 11:37 AM In reply to

Thank Wombat, will do, will do for sure

I had alook on their website, look good, they on keys rd cheltenham (not too far from me). 

Thanks

• 02-03-2012 01:12 PM In reply to

http://www.motorcyclemotion.com.au/training-testing.shtml#learners Look great nothing like that when i started riding Big Smile

• 04-29-2016 06:31 PM In reply to

• Zerotech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-17-2016
    • Preston, Victoria
    • Posts 8

pyrah:

http://www.motorcyclemotion.com.au/training-testing.shtml#learners Look great nothing like that when i started riding Big Smile

That is where I got my Learners and License. The P's test wasn't really hard but they did stress about the roadcraft theory that people needed to improve on braking skills which is a requirement for the test.

To answer your question op

- Yes you can register a motorbike or a scooter under your name without a riders license as long as you have a car license or any license under the vicroads registration system  it should do

- The minimum age now to carry pillion passengers is 21, the new rules have been applied since Oct. 2014 so in other words you will have to be on your P's for a minimum of 3 years before you can carry passengers.

- If scooter is your thing, then I would recommend that you start of with a scooter or automatic license then when you feel comfortable you can train to learn manual or wait out the 3 years after you get your P's to full license.

I hope this helps you.

Why cannot I improve on my skills just because of my silly name?

Zerotech
    Email: petersam1980@gmail.com
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/Zerotech80
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Zerotech80
  • 04-29-2016 07:32 PM In reply to

When i started a learner could carry a pillion provided they had a full motorbike licence & no helmet required either Geeked

• 04-30-2016 08:58 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 300

All these crazy,current rules for 2 wheelers must have been made by people who've never ridden one or they'd know better imho.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au