Scooter
Community

Oil Filter Design Change Vespa GTS300??

Last post 02-07-2012 08:38 PM by pyrah. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2012 07:35 PM

Oil Filter Design Change Vespa GTS300??

Got my first service today, on my Vespa GTS 300 Super. Noticed that the filter fitted at the factory has a large slot in the end for the filter removal tool, the one fitted at the service had a large hex head on it, for removal/replacement by socket or ring spanner. Has there been a recent oil filter design change? Bought 2 spare filters as my next service will probably not be done at the Vespa dealer, so I got spares for the bike shop that does my next service. Those filters have a hex head on them, too.

Cheers,

Jack.

Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 02-02-2012 09:58 PM In reply to

Re: Oil Filter Design Change Vespa GTS300??

No, that's a feature that only seems to be available on the K&N Filters. [EDIT] And others have copied the idea

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 02-02-2012 10:17 PM In reply to

DaelimMonkey:

No, that's a feature that only seems to be available on the K&N Filters.

Interesting......... I asked for 2 spare filters and was told that I could get them from other shops, I said no.....I want only genuine Vespa ones and I bought  2 from the dealer I bought the machine from.  No Piaggio markings on them, came in a white box with a number on the box. IF they are not genuine........I sure don't want an engine problem, then a warranty argument. I have had 2 bad experiences with non genuine car filters. Besides the price differences are not very much, considering its a critical item.

Cheers,

Jack.

Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 02-02-2012 11:07 PM In reply to

On Beedspeed site genuine part number 82635R shows a black filter with Piaggio on it

http://beedspeed.com/product_info.php?products_id=8424

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-02-2012 11:09 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

Its an interesting topic isn't it , 2 years ago the Vespa dealer at Caringbah NSW tried to sell  me a non genuine oil filter for my GTS , when i quizzed  him about it he sayed it was no worry to use it , i will put some non oem parts on my cars/bikes/scooters but i will only ever fit oem oil filters , call me odd but thats me , anyway my thought is why does a dealer sell non oem filters ? , can't imagine Vespa would be amused  at that & as you've said ,what if there is a major engine issue , you can see it can't ya --Vespa says no wnty due to non oem parts fitted , the dealer worms his way out with some tale of crap & basically  the owner is left holding the bag , messy heh , in short  if it aint in Vespa/Piaggio packaging , tell e'm to shove it.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-02-2012 11:19 PM In reply to

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-02-2012 11:21 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

pyrah:
    On Beedspeed site genuine part number 82635R shows a black filter with Piaggio on it
     Yes you can get ridgy didge genuine parts thru many non genuine suppliers eg --GPS Imports  , Beedspeed , AJ Sutton etc , along as its got the Piaggio mark & p/number then you're 100% ok.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-02-2012 11:26 PM In reply to

If i remember right bradr older Suzuki cars didn't like aftermarket oil filters the oil light stayed on quite a while when starting them Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-03-2012 03:05 AM In reply to

bradr:

pyrah:
     Yes you can get ridgy didge genuine parts thru many non genuine suppliers eg --GPS Imports  , Beedspeed , AJ Sutton etc , along as its got the Piaggio mark & p/number then you're 100% ok.

After looking at the GPS Imports WEB site, I have ended up with a non genuine filter on my machine, in addition to my 2 spare ones :-( Furthemore, I was charged $29 each for them..........GPS Imports have them shown for $12 each, even their genuine ones are only $18.75 each. OK, that was a WEB site price from GPS Imports, but never the less, it's a big difference.  Looks like my dealer supplies and fits non genuine parts to the machines they service. Bit sad, since I specifically asked for genuine filters, and am quite prepared to pay for same. My filters p/n is 483727.

Guess when I get home next week, I will order the genuine ones from GPS and give my non genuine ones to a friend of mine, who owns a motorcycle shop that I was once a partner in.  I will also swap the non genuine one off my machine ASAP. 

Cheers,

Jack.

Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 02-03-2012 11:07 AM In reply to

There's no need to get too anal about geniune or aftermarket.  Most, and I say most are definately made in the same factory , on the same run, just end up in two batches.  one gets painted black, the other white, then stamped by who ever bought them.

In my case, it's a bit weird.  I was told by a Sydney store to buy geniune, but I told them that I definately wanted the HiFlo, and they said that it's up to me.  When I checked the service manual, the picture showed the HoFlo filter that I wanted.  So, if Kymco ever gave me argy bargy, I can refer to the service manual, which shows the oile filter I'm using.

In the case of some Honda bikes, my mate was telling me that there's an aftermarket filter that looks exactly like the gen'  and according to spec is identical to the genuine.  Now, use the aftermarket one and it leaks, use the gen' and it doesn't leak. That's that if your experiencing that issue.

• 02-03-2012 01:04 PM In reply to

IMHO Yep the average Joe Punter just takes there scooter in for a service & wont have a clue what parts are fitted or care . Then if something fails as long as its been serviced at a manufactures agents then they or the manufacture should carry the can Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-03-2012 01:30 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

pyrah:
    Then if something fails as long as its been serviced at a manufactures agents then they or the manufacture should carry the can Smile

Hmm , in a decent world i suppose that would be the case , but unfortunately when it comes to money , both dealers & manufacturers will usually find loopholes that neither you nor me even knew existed , one thing i've learnt in the last 4yrs is that there is a lot more shonky stuff goes on in the 2 wheel world than in the motor car world , we seem to have more legal measures in place to deal with the motor car side thats for sure , i really do feel sorry for the 2 wheels dealers that do the right thing , my dealings with some scooter dealers over parts haven't been all that good , my dealings with bike dealers when trying to purchase a bike were mostly woefull [1/2 of them didn't seem to want to even sell their products] to the point where they don't even follow up with prices , like as is everythings just too hard , possibly why the 2 wheeled sales industry is alledgedly suffering so badly , i mean whats so difficult when the customer asks --how much with a screen , topbox , rack , total price ride away , in my auto dismantling buisiness the customer asks for an X , a Y , and a Z , we simply add the 3 items up , maybe knock something off cause we are selling all 3 items and bingo , sold , and i do all that with basic no school certificate education !Sad

• 02-03-2012 01:45 PM In reply to

Devil Now waiting for agents responses Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-03-2012 02:42 PM In reply to

Also, genuine isn't really genuine after all.

If you were to buy a part, let's say for my Daelim.  That part actually comes from four other sources and not Daelim themselves.  It just comes in a shiny Daelim bag.

Daelim do not make all their parts and you wouldn't expect them too.  They just assemble using the parts they have.

Remember that debarkle when one fastening bolt company went on strike?  One one that supplys FORD.  FORD ran out of bolts, and almost had to stop production.

This doesn't usually happen, because manufacturers keep multiple sources now.

So, what's the problem in getting your part *from* the source?  None, I say.

Also, K&N aren't going to reck their rep on offering crap, so those ones should be safe.

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/17.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=4415 

Personally, I want this http://www.framcatalog.com/Image.aspx?f=images/Fram/PH16_080409.jpg

But, I can't get a confirmed application for my scoot, and second, they are expensive, and by the time you import it, bang, you could  have about many normal ones.  But if you're super anal about filtering your oil, then you can't go past these.

• 02-03-2012 03:20 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Devil Now waiting for agents responses Big Smile

Hahahaha! 

Firstly, selling anything as genuine when it isn't I'd say is illegal, or certainly should be.  We use genuine filters for all the scooters we service because 1) no potential issues with warranty and 2) for the difference in price why wouldn't you?   A few years back there was a period when the suppliers temporarily ran out, so we did try an aftermarket filter.  Nowhere near as good - leaking after about 7,000km.  Given the 10,000km service interval on the big Vespa's, that just isn't good enough.  Might have been ok for something with a 6k interval, but not worth the risk (or the cost price difference) so once the original's were back we returned to using them and haven't changed since.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au