Scooter
Community

Booked for 'filtering' :(

Last post 02-29-2012 10:40 AM by jshowyin. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2012 05:44 PM In reply to

Re: Booked for 'filtering' :(

Devil Why do all the states & Territory's have different laws about it ? 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-24-2012 12:46 AM In reply to

Caroanbill:

High time we had a simple filtering law.  Sydney traffic would be far worse if every cop booked every filtering scoot or bike.

Now that would be a worthwhile protest to try out - all at once of course. Now how to heard the MC/SC cats...

• 02-24-2012 03:40 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 836

When a car has its right blinker on, it is permitted to overtake it on the left. 

Cars are required to turn right from as close as possible to the centerline of the road.

Cars and trucks turning left can move to the right as much as needed before doing a left turn.

I don't want to sound like a smart a**se but riding takes a lot of skill and its still dangerous.  After a while riders get better at understanding how traffic flows or does not flow.

Sometimes it gets crazy and the best thing to do is turn left pull over and have a break until the crazy ones are gone.

Worst time for crazy or stupid drivers is Friday afternoon at the end of the week when they are tired and agro trying to get home in heavy slow traffic.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 02-24-2012 04:25 PM In reply to

INMA:

Sometimes it gets crazy and the best thing to do is turn left pull over and have a break until the crazy ones are gone.

Worst time for crazy or stupid drivers is Friday afternoon at the end of the week when they are tired and agro trying to get home in heavy slow traffic.

Absolutely.  Interesting statistic - in WA 85% of motorcycle fatalaties happen on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I suspect a degree of agro drivers, as well as more than a modicum of weekend warriors... 

So commuter riding is therefore relatively safer.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 02-28-2012 08:41 AM In reply to

ferrix:

Yeah, I think it is very likely your efforts to be visible on the road worked exactly as indended - but with the wrong people :)

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Since that day I still do move laterally in the lane, but not quite so often now. Hopefully still makes me more visible than if I didn't do it, but won't attract the wrong sort of attention.

Ride safe.
    _________

Riding: Doc, a 2009 Derbi GP1 250
  • 02-28-2012 08:43 AM In reply to

Jax:

Thanks for the link to the petition Jax. Will sign up later today.

Ride safe.
    _________

• 02-28-2012 08:49 AM In reply to

INMA:

I did not do serious riding until I was completely off my P.

I am not sure my daily commute qualifies as 'serious riding' :) Since the incident I have occasionally wondered whether I should ride less while on my P's (another 10.5 months), but my scoot is my family's second vehicle and the most efficient way for me to get around to clients, so that thought is not really viable for me.

INMA:

The reason I ride is to filter, my experience is most cops are fine but then you get one who does not understand how riders need to act to manage risks.

Filtering cuts my commute time by 30% (15 minutes each way), so it is definitely one of the main advantages I get in riding the scoot. The other is that I no longer dread my commute - love it.

I filter to save time, not to manage risks. What do you mean by that statement? I position myself in the lane to minimise/manage risk, but I don't think I have ever filtered to manage risk. Only way I can think it is applicable to me is the mental preparation I do each time when stopped behind a car in traffic - assess which side I would ride to if I had to get out of the way quickly from a car about to slam into me from behind.

Ride safe.
    _________

• 02-28-2012 08:53 AM In reply to

wleung:

ferrix:
    this whole bit about how me manage risks by filtering is really a bit of a furphy we like to tell ourselves.

+1. 

You're supposed to analyse all the hazards, not just the one that makes it convenient to filter :D.

(e.g. car doors / pedestrians / other motorcyclists who plan to filter in front of you and do not do head checks as they're not expecting other vehicles to be filtering :D)

+1 to your +1 :)

One of the benefits of riding a bicycle for so long is that I naturally and subconsciously check each parked car I pass to see whether there is a person in the driver seat. If so, be extra wary of car doors swinging out unexpectedly.

Ride safe.
    _________

• 02-28-2012 08:56 AM In reply to

Jax:

The $ may have increased since this was written

Driving on a footpath, cycle track/lane, nature strip or traffic island $231 and 3 points
    Driving in an emergency lane (freeway) $179 and 2 points
    Driving on/over continuous edge line (any other road) $179 and 2 points
    Not giving change of direction signal either left or right $128 and 2 points
    Overtaking to the left of the vehicle $128 and 2 points
    Overtaking a vehicle too closely

$231 and 3 points

Ironic thing was during my 45 min commute on that day when I got booked (before and after I got done) I saw 5 of the 6 behaviours that you posted Jax. Didn't ride on the freeway, so no possibility of witnessing #2, but the rest I saw, including one motorcyclist ride up onto the footpath to bypass 150m of traffic jam.

Ride safe.
    _________

• 02-28-2012 09:57 AM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 518

jshowyin:
    including one motorcyclist ride up onto the footpath to bypass 150m of traffic jam

I'd really like to lane filter through the queues at McDonalds. Can we legalise that? :D

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R / Piaggio Fly 150 3V
  • 02-28-2012 10:51 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

jshowyin:
    be extra wary of car doors swinging out unexpectedly

Oh boy do I know this one well!!!!
    source

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 02-28-2012 10:53 AM In reply to

wleung:

jshowyin:
    including one motorcyclist ride up onto the footpath to bypass 150m of traffic jam

I'd really like to lane filter through the queues at McDonalds. Can we legalise that? :D

Wink I think the problem of filtering at the big M is that you would visit more often . Then before long you would need a whole lane just for yourself Stick out tongue

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-28-2012 11:43 AM In reply to

pyrah:
    I think the problem of filtering at the big M is that you would visit more often . Then before long you would need a whole lane just for yourself Stick out tongue

Not if you get the healthy options. Salads and wraps and celery sticks in a cup for 5 bucks a pop... isn't that why people go to maccas? :)

• 02-28-2012 12:30 PM In reply to

ferrix:

pyrah:
    I think the problem of filtering at the big M is that you would visit more often . Then before long you would need a whole lane just for yourself Stick out tongue

Not if you get the healthy options. Salads and wraps and celery sticks in a cup for 5 bucks a pop... isn't that why people go to maccas? :)

Good point didn't think of that Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-29-2012 09:48 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 836

JS, when riding the motorcycles, I would regularly move to the front at lights and give it a big squirt to get ahead of the traffic.  That allowed me to cruise in open road with no cars near me so there was less chance of getting hit.

Travel in a pack of cars and every time someone in the right lane does a turn, all the cars behind the turner put their left blinkers on (or not) and pull into the left lane to overtake the turning vehicle.  Same situation with left turning vehicles.  All the cars playing "lane change lets skittle the motorbike" scare the cra  p    out of me so I head for open road whenever possible.

I consider filtering and acelerating into open road ways I positively manage the risks.  You can be passive and hope drivers obey the rules or positive and position yourself to avoid the drivers when they break the rules.

I need to add I never assume that because I have a green light its safe to go, I always check for drivers running lights and never pass a truck or bus without carefully checking the blind area infront of the truck.  Having driven trucks, I have seen too many people assume the truck is slow when infact the truck did not accelerate because some driver did a stupid thing like running a light and ending up at 60km/hr across the front of the truck.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au