Scooter
Community

Another .. 'What scooter should I buy question'

Last post 02-27-2012 10:15 PM by MickJ. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-23-2012 09:21 PM

• MickJ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2012
    • Freo, WA
    • Posts 68

Another .. 'What scooter should I buy question'

Hi all,

Every year I come back from holidaying in Asia, with a promise to buy a scooter.

Well this year I'm actually going to do it.

I been looking around for a few weeks now, and although I still don't know what I want, I know what I DON't want(small 50cc Buzzbox).

I went down to the my local scooter shop in Fremantle. There are a lot of nice scooters there, in fact too many to chose from.

I was very interested in the Scarabeo 200ie, Brand New for about $5500 ride away. But the salesman pointed me in the direction of an Aprillia Sportcity 250. He said it was his favourite bike(can I trust a scooter salesman :D ). Anyways, it only had 3000km on the clock, and it also was $5500. I guess the question is, should I even consider a used scooter??? Especially considering the Sportcity 250 is no longer imported into Australia??

I've heard a lot of complaints from people regarding the availability of spare parts for Aprillias, should this be a factor when considering a used scooter??

For $5500 I can get a Scarabeo 200ie with a 2 year warranty. For the same money I can get a used Sportcity 250 with no warranty. Is the Sportcity 250 a much better scooter to warrant taking such a risk??

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Vespa GTS

Born to be Mild
    Filed under: , , ,
  • 02-23-2012 09:41 PM In reply to

Re: Another .. 'What scooter should I buy question'

Scarabeo 200ie all the way, its sweet machine and not bad money either. The salesman is probably just trying to shake of the trade-in he got in.

Yuminashi Pcx 164cc can of whopass!
    Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 02-23-2012 09:42 PM In reply to

• chatten
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2009
    • Oxenford. QLD.
    • Posts 268

hi there I  have the 200 ie beo it is a fast fun scoot better than the 250 go the 200ie you will have fun plus its good on long trips handls the long run with eas I have had my stock beo up to 145 klh.

chatts

kawasaki 250 trail 1974. Kawasaki 400.1994. TGB 50 2009. scarabeo 200ie,2010.
    second chancebeo 200ie.2012.pearl white. 2013 650 suzuki burgman,pearl white.name ( pegasus )
  • 02-23-2012 09:47 PM In reply to

Hmmm.... Frank at The Scooter Shop is definitely one of the better dealers, however to ensure you do full research & to ensure you get what you want, give the team at Ace Scooters a call before you decide. Sure Ace is another Vespa & Piaggio dealer, and he might just chew your ear off, but it's definitely worth your time. If you visit the shop in Joondalup they might even make you a nice coffee! 9300 1719

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 02-23-2012 10:28 PM In reply to

chatten:
    I have had my stock beo up to 145 klh.

On a private airfield...right Chatts!? :D

Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 02-23-2012 10:29 PM In reply to

chatten:
    I have had my stock beo up to 145 klh.

On a private airfield...right Chatts!? :D

Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 02-23-2012 10:46 PM In reply to

The 200i is nice with a flat floor is it the new face lift model that is on offer ?

• 02-23-2012 11:17 PM In reply to

for the same money you could buy Wanda's Vespa GTS "The Don" which would hold its value better than the aprilias, I believe its at Ace Scooters in Perth.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 02-24-2012 01:20 AM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:

for the same money you could buy Wanda's Vespa GTS "The Don" which would hold its value better than the aprilias, I believe its at Ace Scooters in Perth.

Thats correct Yes

• 02-24-2012 01:35 AM In reply to

• MickJ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2012
    • Freo, WA
    • Posts 68

Wow, that was a fast response. Thanks for the quick reply guys. I really appreciate it. Well it looks like the beo is leading the pack at the moment. I'm pretty sure its the latest version with the new grill. 

But, there is nothing worse than living life with a "what if I had ......". So I'll take a drive up to Ace scooters and have a look around. Actually the GTS Vespa is definitely my favourite out of the Vespa range, and of course it is a 250cc.

I've driven all over Australia, and I have to admit that Perth drivers are the worse drivers I have ever seen. Having a slightly more powerful engine will give me a bit more confidence to tackle the maniacs on the road.

Thanks for you input guys, I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers

Vespa GTS

Born to be Mild
  • 02-24-2012 02:04 AM In reply to

Hi Mick,

I actually bought my Scarabeo 200ie from Frank in Freo. I have no regrets, it has done everything i hoped for and more. I understand your concerns about perth motorists and with scooters in this class you won't have any problem keeping up (and indeed getting away). The best thing about them in my opinion is the extra weight and the bigger wheels - makes for a stable, sure ride.

I actually did some of my lessons on an Aprilia Sportcity 250, and enjoyed it very much, but it's not that much different from the scarabeo. Main differences would be it's more compact length wise I think, slightly less storage, and faster acceleration. It's a great urban commuter and certainly has a style of its own.

Checking redbook.com.au shows an expectation at private prices of 4700-5600, assuming it was the last model - 2009. Of course it might be a 2008 or older still. Personally I would be reluctant to pay that price for the scooter used, unless there was a 1 year dealer warranty included. Regardless though, it's a great bike.

Happy shopping!

• 02-24-2012 08:14 AM In reply to

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/t/17605.aspx

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 02-24-2012 08:58 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

you'll have no regrets with the 200 Aprilia..

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 02-24-2012 10:10 AM In reply to

The aprilia with the big wheels ride better than the vespa's. If you like the look of the vespa's then go for a vespa. I've got a  scarabeo, good scoot and you won't regret it. Ride both and see which one suits you. However brand new scoot good brand with 2 year warranty 0 kms, in my opinion is better than a seconhand scoot with 40 thousand + kilometres for the same $.

• 02-24-2012 10:20 AM In reply to

take them both for a test ride.

if you visit ace scooters you will be given a test ride on the demo vespa gts. not many walk away unaffected.SurpriseSmile

argentum melle
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au