Scooter
Community

Our SYM Classic's 125's climb Kinglake.

Last post 03-31-2012 07:44 AM by wombat. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-13-2012 08:18 PM

Our SYM Classic's 125's climb Kinglake.

Today me and the missus went for our first 'non suburban' ride on our matching SYM classic 125's Cool

Thought i'd do a bit of a write up on it as i don't see many scooter owners up there on the road when on my pushi,  maybe I'm wrong as I was never looking for them before :P

After mapping our route we set off thru the most dangerous part of our journey,  the one thru the northern suburbs of Eltham etc post school drop off time and the roads choked with large wagons/4wd with soccer mums at the wheel.

Our route took us out thru Macleod and onto lower plenty rd and thats basically the last turn you need to take.  Lower plenty turns into main rd which turns into st andrews rd and kinglake rd......

Steady traffic and lots of two lanes turning into one and not a lot of room given to us there but we managed to stay together for the most part.  Main rd is a 60km zone and mostly one lane with lots of windy sections.   The further you go the easier it gets as nearly all the traffic turns off before Kangaroo ground.  Here is turns into a 70km zone and the road dips up and down like a roller coaster.  Road surface is great with hardly any gravel on entry road sections and no real bumps to challenge our 12 inch wheels.   Wide sweeping bends for the most part and the road lined with vineyards and B&B's.  Pretty part of the world.  Hardly a car in our mirrors and us chugging along at the 70km's with the scooters purring underneath.  The SYM's handled the ride perfectly and were solid on the the road as far as stability.   They needed a bit of coaxing up the larger hills but still hit at least 65km's on the really big gradients.  Really happy with the scooter and such a smooth ride.

Eventually the road turns into an 80km zone but we still pretty much sat on the 70k's unless it was a nice straight strectch and the SYM's did it in there stride. A small turn of the wrist and zoom....topped out at 85k's at points and it still had a little bit more I felt.

Up thru Panton Hill and past the best pies at the Smith's Gully general store.......oopps I need fuel!  Turns out we couldn't find any around there and with it on red we had to push on to Kinglake as unplanned.   Must say this part of the ride was a pure pleasure and we surprised ourselves.  The climb up the mountain is a 60km zone but you really sit on about 30-50km and down to 20km on some of the really hairy corners and zig zag sections.  There we make our way up thru the awesome scenary and from memory had one car behind us who gave us plenty of room and was quite respectful.  Must say this made it a lot more stress free knowing we could take it at our own pace without the thought we were holding up heaps of traffic behind us maybe pushing us out of our comfort zone.  Wouldn't want to come of on some of those corners with the sheer drop off.

Once again the SYM was well balanced and made its way around the bends smooth and the throttle work smooth and easy.  This little thing is making mine meat of this climb Cool

After 15kms of conentrating we get to the Kinglake township and stop for drinks and food before filling up.  There still isn't a petrol station up there as such but a gravel carpark opp the pub with a bowser and temporary unit for its office.  Handed over our $10 to fill both to full and all had a good laugh as others filled up to much larger amounts.

The ride back down the mountain was more stress free than anticipated.  I assumed it would involve a lot of heavy braking but just de accelerating was enough mostly although we did have a few impatient locals pass but we pulled over and gave them more room to do so.  Having someone on you ass occupying your mind and focus on the mirrors isn't what you need with so many blinds corners.

Back onto the long undulating roads between the mountain and the burbs where once again we could open the scoots up a bit. 

All in all was a great ride out there today.   Blue sky,  light winds,  hardly any traffic on the country roads and patient locals.  I'm not sure if many here do ride up there on their scooters but certainly on a week day its an absolute pleasure.   We both are the better for tackling the roads we did today both speed wise and the technicality of the last part up/down the mountain.   Certainly a different world from the stop start of city comuting. 

Here are our SYM's having a well deserved rest at the Kinglake pub

Just thought I'd share as i feel this is better than any shop review of our scooter models that focus more on the under seat storage than the performance of the bike.  Not to many a new patch of the world opened up to us thanks to them.

Cheer

Chad.

• 03-13-2012 09:16 PM In reply to

Re: Our SYM Classic's 125's climb Kinglake.

Love it, Chad!

His & Hers scooters... a great idea. All Mrs. Wombat and I have is the one between us - I ride it to work unless she wants it.

I especially like the Top Boxes - they look fantastic!

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 03-13-2012 09:21 PM In reply to

• Jobbie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-05-2010
    • Craigmore, SA
    • Posts 238

Well done, Chad. A good review and a great read.

Aprilia Sportcity 125 2007.
    Aprilia Scarabeo 250 2010.
  • 03-13-2012 09:28 PM In reply to

Even the scooters look like they have smiles on there faces . Thank for shearing love reading about trips in Littlies Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-13-2012 09:33 PM In reply to

Yeah we needed the top boxes.  Our full face helmets 'JUST' don't fit under the seat so helmet in top box and jacket under seat and you can get off the scoot and walk around with no gear.    They also make the scoot look that much larger and more a road prescence I think as far as visability.   The Euro model (fiddle II) aparently has helmet posts under the seat but our model doesn't for some reason.

The fuel guage rubbish though as even with it on on fumes according to the dash it only took 3.5L's for a 5L tank. 

And yeah matching machines......kinda corny I know but who gives a #*{#* what anyone else thinks.  The ones that laugh usually have pink playgirl seat covers.

• 03-16-2012 02:09 PM In reply to

Top read - inspiring me to plan some longer advetures when I get my scoot back from the shop next week  :)

2009 Vespa GTS 300ie
  • 03-18-2012 07:44 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

10/10 Great work! Coz Ya Can!

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 03-28-2012 05:43 PM In reply to

Great story and sounds like heaps of fun! Wish I could get my bloke to get a scooter - would be fantastic!

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 03-28-2012 07:20 PM In reply to

Father's Day Lizzie :)

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 03-28-2012 07:32 PM In reply to

Devil Show him whose the BOSS Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-28-2012 09:44 PM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:

Sadly he really doesn't want one. :o(

• 03-28-2012 09:51 PM In reply to

Kymco CK125? It's not a scooter, it's a bike.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 03-28-2012 10:57 PM In reply to

Lizziecro:

danceswithdingoes:

You will just have to remind him of the old adage "Happy Wife Happy Life" ;) or "if at first you dont succeed then nag,nag,nag,nag and nag some more"

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 03-28-2012 11:56 PM In reply to

wombat:

Kymco CK125? It's not a scooter, it's a bike.

Wink Better still Honda CB125e Stick out tongue

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-29-2012 09:53 AM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:

Lizziecro:

danceswithdingoes:

You will just have to remind him of the old adage "Happy Wife Happy Life" ;) or "if at first you dont succeed then nag,nag,nag,nag and nag some more"

Orrrr.... I am  given one for Mother's Day, thus he has to have my Kymco! Aha! Now I'm onto something! (He doesn't seem to fall for ... errr... subscribe to the 'happy wife/life' philosophy, Dingo.  Sad

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au