Scooter
Community

"Scooters Safer Than Mopeds And Motorcycles" Study

Last post 04-22-2012 09:30 AM by Mike Holland. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2012 11:56 PM

• razoo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-12-2011
    • Inner west, Sydney
    • Posts 102

"Scooters Safer Than Mopeds And Motorcycles" Study

There's always been a lot of talk about how safe scooters were relative to MCs; I thought this news article was interesting.

Scooters Safer Than Mopeds And Motorcycles: Study

New research has shown that in the realm of two-wheeled motorists, moped riders are involved in more accidents, motorcyclists are more than three times as likely to die on the road, and scooter riders are the safest of the three.

The study, by Queensland University of Technology’s Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety (CARRS-Q), claims to be the first to compare the safety levels of mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles.

The study distinguishes mopeds from scooters under Queensland law (also NT, SA, and WA), which permits mopeds (50cc and under, limited to 50km/h) to be ridden with just a car licence. Scooters require a motorcycle licence in all states and territories.

The distinction is significant, considering that between 2001-2009, moped registrations increased 15-fold, compared with motorcycle and scooter registrations, which merely doubled.

Also significant is that “moped crashes appear to occur at a higher rate per registered vehicle and per kilometre travelled than motorcycle crashes," CARRS-Q's Ross Blackman said.

The fact that more moped riders are crashing more often raises some concern for their relative safety, particularly considering that, the study shows, 45 percent of these moped crashes resulted in hospitalisation.

The research suggests that scooters are used for similar purposes to mopeds, but data suggests scooter riders are less likely to be involved in a crash.

Scooter riders “hold a motorcycle licence, and are therefore likely to have undertaken rider training”, Blackman said.

Motorcycles were the most lethal of the three, according to the research, with 3.4 percent of reported crashed resulting in fatality, compared with one percent of reported moped and scooter crashes.

According to the study, the difference in crash severity was related to the circumstances the vehicles were used in.

"Scooter riders also exhibit safer behaviour than motorcycle riders, despite both groups meeting the same licensing requirements. This suggests a difference in attitude which sees motorcycle riders taking more risks on the road."

Daelim S1 + Peugeot Geopolis 400
  • 04-21-2012 12:49 AM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 518

Re: Scooters Safer Than Mopeds And Motorcycles

Erm.... pretty sure the title of your post is a little misleading... almost smh-worthy....

razoo:
    This suggests a difference in attitude which sees motorcycle riders taking more risks on the road.

Scooters aren't safer than motorcycles on the road.... it's more that the population of scooter riders have safer attitudes towards two-wheeled usage.

I'm surprised people still find the fact that more people die on motorcycles than scooters (ratio-wise) worth mentioning....

Give an idiot a 100+bhp bike, they are more likely to die than on a 10bhp scoot. But it is also well known that said fools are going to hunt for the more powerful two-wheeler. The scooter still suffers from the limitations of two-wheels - slipping over in the rain, understeering from taking a corner too fast, speeding, less protection from cars in a collision.

Put a considerate & cautious person on a 100bhp bike (once on their full R's), after 20 minutes of getting used to the bike, they would be as safe as they would be riding a 10bhp scoot. I understand there's an element of extra risk with more power... but I don't think a lot of motorcyclists die because they 'accidentally' do a full wrist lock and get to the full power.... more that they're being jerks or they get hit by another jerk.

W

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R / Piaggio Fly 150 3V
  • 04-21-2012 01:30 AM In reply to

What are the numbers of mopeds scooter motorbikes studies & how did they get that information

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 04-21-2012 08:46 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

So Moped = 50cc (On a car licence in QLD)

Scooters > 50cc

I think this is the way I read these results?

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 04-21-2012 09:07 AM In reply to

This would be true if all the accidents were the rider's fault. But so many of them result from "I didn't see you"! So you can add in the factor that mopeds are less visible, and motorcyclists generally wear black and ride black machines. I think scooterists tend to wear brighter clothes, and scooters are brighter colours.

Mike 

• 04-21-2012 05:12 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

CARRS-Q "need" these statisitics so that they can eliminate the moped class and make it harder for two wheelers to get on the road.

They could reveal that 100% of the accidents were SMIDSY's and it wouldn't change the outcome.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 04-21-2012 06:44 PM In reply to

What are SMIDSY's?

Mike

• 04-21-2012 06:48 PM In reply to

Sorry mate i didn't see you

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 04-22-2012 09:30 AM In reply to

Thanks!

Mike