Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

License...

Last post 05-01-2012 02:29 PM by Kathymac. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2012 09:46 PM

• Gezza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-07-2012
    • Posts 29

License...

This maybe the daftest question ever, but I have just bought a 50cc scooter (a alien) and not thought that I may need to take a test??

I have a full car license with class c written on it, which I have held for over ten years!!

Can I legally just get on my 50cc with out any learner type plates and just drive with pillions also??

Too note I did my cbt in the uk years ago (which has now ran out) but rode a gilera runner 125 for 4 years :)

• 04-30-2012 10:44 PM In reply to

Re: License...

Welcome to the forum Gezza!

Not sure which state you're in, but I think Queensland may let you get away with that - but I could be wrong. Most states still require you to sit for your L plates, and then later sit for your Ps. No, you can't just get on an ride in most states! You also won't be able to pillion until you're completely off your Ps.

In NSW to get your Ls you have to do a course (2 x half days) at an authorised centre, where they'll teach you all the stuff you probably already know! Then you also have to sit for a theory test, which is done on a computer. It covers rider specific information as well as general NSW road rules. Once you have had your Ls for 3 months you are then eligible to sit for your Ps.  This involves a one day practical - a ride through local suburbs while being observed by an instructor, plus manoeuvering your bike/scooter through various formations - cone weaves, corners, avoidance techniques, etc. You then have your Ps for 12 months if you hold a driver's licence.

Check out the RTAs rider training info if you're in NSW. It'll give you all the info you need. Do be aware though, that if you're caught riding without a licence, you may have your driver's licence suspended. What you do on your scooter impacts on your driver's licence too.

If you're not in NSW you'd better check out your relevant authority before taking off into the streets!

Good luck!

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 04-30-2012 11:07 PM In reply to

Welcome mate SA WA NT QLD you can ride a 50 on a car license (C) other places you will need a motorcycle license (R) . Where abouts in the UK are you from ?

• 04-30-2012 11:43 PM In reply to

• Gezza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-07-2012
    • Posts 29

From lancashire, been here 3 years now :)

I am in Western Australia, so all is good with 50cc :)

I presume I dont need any L type or P type plates beiong a full car license holder (class c) for over ten years..

• 05-01-2012 06:52 AM In reply to

LOL I'm from Yorkshire originally left in 87 yep you can use the 50 (LA class) in WA without any L or P plates

• 05-01-2012 07:57 AM In reply to

pyrah:
    SA WA NT QLD you can ride a 50 on a car license (

My secret is revealed! I know very little!  Tongue Tied That's half the states plus a territory. Oh well, half the states and half the territories say no rider's licence no ride. Stick out tongue

• 05-01-2012 07:59 AM In reply to

Gezza:

Our mob are from Salford.... who says Salford couldn't play?

• 05-01-2012 08:50 AM In reply to

Devil 

Big Smile

• 05-01-2012 10:03 AM In reply to

• Gezza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-07-2012
    • Posts 29

Cheers guys more poms lol

• 05-01-2012 02:29 PM In reply to

• Kathymac
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-29-2012
    • Perth (Roleystone)
    • Posts 37

No L or p's needed but you can't ride on Kwinana or Mitchell Freeway.

Cheers Kathy

Gezza:

I am in Western Australia, so all is good with 50cc :)

I presume I dont need any L type or P type plates beiong a full car license holder (class c) for over ten years..

that's correct. You also need to be able to do 80% of the speedlimit. Although given almost all drivers speed here it really is best buying a scooter that is suited to the conditions.

Piaggio Fly150. Sold
    Vespa ET4 150
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au