Scooter
Community

Advertorial - quality blue tooth headsets at affordable prices

Last post 05-06-2012 02:07 PM by DaelimMonkey. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2012 06:35 PM

Advertorial - quality blue tooth headsets at affordable prices

As most will realise here, we generally avoid taking advantage of our retailer position to spruik products, but I'm making an exception to bring to your attention the new Bluetooth headsets from Sena. 

We got interested in their products when the motorbike test examiners at the WA DoT had selected the SMH10 for use whilst examining students.  And then most of the instructors in this area have been incorporating them into their training too.  Good quality and robust.  Similar in quality to the Scala, but I've found much less intermittent cut-out on the Sena. 

If you haven't used a headset before, the advantages are fourfold.  Firstly, it will bluetooth to your phone allowing you to receive calls, and if you have voice activation, make them too.  Not necessarily for when you are riding, but if you stop you can call without taking off your helmet. 

Secondly, you can have your favouite tunes playing whilst you ride - contrary to what you'd think, background music doesn't distract from traffic noise awareness, but certainly detracts from wind noise (which can actually get quite tiring).

Thirdly, if you have sat nav, with bluetooth, then it'll give you the directions through your headset.  Much better to do that than try and look at the screen if its handlebar mounted.

And finally, if you have a pair, you can talk to your pillion, or another rider!  Very handy if riding in a group, the leader and tail end charlie can make sure that if the group gets split at lights etc, then they can arrange where they will regroup. 

I've been using with a Samsung Galaxy S2, and I'm loving it.  Seamless and easy to install and set up.  When the phone rings, or a satnav instruction comes through, the music seamlessly turns off, and then turns on again after. 

And the best part is that with the new SMH5, the price is extremely attractive.  The single set will be retailing for about $130, and the pair set for about $250.   Making them very affordable indeed.  Made in Korea.

So there you have it.  www.senabluetooth.com

Next month (hopefully), we'll be seeing the Nolan N43 Air start to come in.  This is an open face helmet with a difference - a chin protector!  More details when we have them...

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-02-2012 07:44 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 269

Re: Advertorial - quality blue tooth headsets at affordable prices

An integral FM radio would make this a useful for commuters as you cant usually stream radio from aphone.

I note the bluetooth range is less than the Scala G4.

Price seems to be good.

• 05-02-2012 10:11 PM In reply to

How's the volume when wearing earplugs as well?

steve@ace:
    Next month (hopefully), we'll be seeing the Nolan N43 Air start to come in.

Yes! Been salivating for this one online. The best innovation of 2012... errr 2009 :P So it's the European style "Air" version you're getting, with the famous top vent, not the US style Trilogy?

• 05-02-2012 10:46 PM In reply to

e.nigma:

Good! I use the Sena for the GPS directions (or did until the dog ate it) and my mobile phone (with 32Gb miniSD) for music with noise reduction earplugs. Now the dog has eaten the Sena however I may well go back to the mobile for both GPS & music. Tongue Tied

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 05-02-2012 10:49 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

Big SmileBig SmileYes I can certainly vouch  for the Sena SMH5 , have been using one for 3 wks now , got the twin set so we can use as rider/pillion , i use mine also for hands free phone & music , the noise reduction & clarity is superb , it replaces the Blueant set up i had which had done many hrs in rain/hale & shine over last 4yrs , for $249 i think you'd  be hard pressed to find better value.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 05-03-2012 01:46 PM In reply to

e.nigma:

steve@ace:

Yes! Been salivating for this one online. The best innovation of 2012... errr 2009 :P So it's the European style "Air" version you're getting, with the famous top vent, not the US style Trilogy?

Unfortunately whilst it may be called the Air, its likely to be closer to the Trilogy - until we physically see it, and the packaging, I won't know for sure.  From what I understand, the top vents didn't pass the Australian spike test, so we won't be getting that feature.  Bloody standards.  

I don't know what the volume is like with earplugs.  I might ask Silverflyer to test it since he has got plugs...

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-03-2012 05:37 PM In reply to

Sena need to bring out a headphone socket as an option if you don't want the speakers.

I'm going to splice a headphone socket onto my Parrot SK4000, because I have these............http://www.fit-ear.com/products-page/motorcycle-stereo-plugs/m-1-single-driver/  which I got at the Sydney Motorcycle & Scooter Show 2011.

They absolutely rock !!

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 05-03-2012 07:55 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

e.nigma:

steve@ace:

Unfortunately whilst it may be called the Air, its likely to be closer to the Trilogy - until we physically see it, and the packaging, I won't know for sure.  From what I understand, the top vents didn't pass the Australian spike test, so we won't be getting that feature.  Bloody standards.  

I don't know what the volume is like with earplugs.  I might ask Silverflyer to test it since he has got plugs...

so does this mean i get to keep them?Big Smile

it souldn't be a problem as i can hear people talkinf\g with my ear plugs in. i wear them into the service station when paying for petrol.

argentum melle
  • 05-03-2012 10:05 PM In reply to

Perhaps I need to clarify...

I meant "while wearing earplugs" in the webbikeworld sense of the word.

For the record, it's our opinion that riding a motorcycle is a very noisy endeavor.  The noise that is generated is always loud enough to be dangerous to human health and can easily cause permanent hearing damage.

We believe that high quality, correctly fitted earplugs are essential for motorcycle riding, and we wear them on every ride without fail.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm

So what i mean to ask is, is this headset, or headsets in general, loud enough from the included speakers, while the rider is also wearing noise-blocking earplugs? Unfortunately I can only afford the cheap foam ones, not the (tho very sexy looking) $400 high-end ones.

• 05-04-2012 03:13 PM In reply to

DaelimMonkey:

Sena need to bring out a headphone socket as an option if you don't want the speakers.

I'm going to slice a headphone socket onto my Parrot SK4000, because I have these............http://www.fit-ear.com/products-page/motorcycle-stereo-plugs/m-1-single-driver/  which I got at the Sydney Motorcycle & Scooter Show 2011.

They absolutely rock !!

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SMH-A0303.php  That should cover it.

2009 Vespa GTS 300ie
  • 05-04-2012 07:47 PM In reply to

e.nigma:
    So what i mean to ask is, is this headset, or headsets in general, loud enough from the included speakers, while the rider is also wearing noise-blocking earplugs? Unfortunately I can only afford the cheap foam ones, not the (tho very sexy looking) $400 high-end ones.

Yes. Very much so. Even with noise reduction earplugs, with music playing, the GPS instructions can still be heard.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 05-06-2012 02:07 PM In reply to

Close but no cigar.  That's only for the SMH10 not the SMH05

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au