Scooter
Community

Can I wear ski pants to ride?

Last post 05-18-2014 12:58 AM by Loose Change. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2012 01:06 PM

Can I wear ski pants to ride?

Hey guys

As you know, Canberra's winter is pretty cold. I have a pair of Dririder winter riding pants and they're warm. However, they don't quite fit me. I thought about getting one size bigger for me coz I don't like my current pair for being too tight on my hip. But then bigger size comes with longer seams. I've got short legs.

So while talking about this with colleagues, we had a lightbulb moment, can I wear ski pants to ride?

It may just solve my issue with riding pants (I don't like the high-waist design of riding pants.)

What do you guys think?

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Mister Meaner" Beverly 250
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 05-07-2012 01:18 PM In reply to

Re: Can I wear ski pants to ride?

you can wear what ever you want but just remember there is NO protection if you come off while riding.

the key to keeping warm is layers. thermal underwear are your friend on cold mornings.

argentum melle
  • 05-07-2012 02:23 PM In reply to

You could get some kevlar leggings to go under them?? I thought you used the Nordic Dri Rider pants?? What do you normally wear for riding in Summer? Maybe you could  just wear those underneath? There was a link to some great sounding textile pants here last week.... what were they called???? Motoport kevlar mesh pants?? Also come in a stretch kevlar.Looked very good and were custom made to your individual size.

Of course if you bought off the rack, and the legs were too long you could just take them up?? If you don't sew (it's not hard!), just take them to a dry cleaner - they'll ususally have a seamstress available. (Apologies for political incorrectness there,- seamstress - but I really don't care for it).

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 05-07-2012 02:52 PM In reply to

Lizziecro:
    I thought you used the Nordic Dri Rider pants??

Sold them coz they were too big for me.

Lizziecro:
    What do you normally wear for riding in Summer?

Draggin jeans

I think I need proper thermal under the draggin jeans. Any good ones you guys know of?

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 05-07-2012 03:21 PM In reply to

• Dn-01
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-10-2011
    • Posts 49

One of the best ways to beat the cold is to wear a wind break type of cover, the posties wear those plastic/nylon pants and jackets this breaks the wind from getting to the thermal whatevers they wear under. Also protects you from rain. Also wear those disposable vinyl gloves, you know the ones you might use when cleaning around the house, underneath your riding gloves this also helps with the cold and the wet and you can carry a bunch of those without too much bulk. I remember going for a group ride to the Snowies last winter and I didn't want be saturated nor cold so went to Bunnings and bought a set of nylon wet weather covers for about $30 I stood out like dogs ****'s and was the laughing stock of those who rode with me but when the weather turned for the worse I was bone dry and warm. And they decided I might be onto something. Besides I was very much seen by the cage drivers due to the bright yellow colouring.

• 05-07-2012 03:34 PM In reply to

There are a few riding pants styled like snowboard / ski pants - cordura with armour - Armadillo make one.

As for using ski pants, it really comes down to whether you want armour, how tough the outer shell is, and whether they'd stay on (some look so baggy they'd almost certainly come off in a slide). 

There are plenty of ski pants made in cordura or similar ballistic textiles, with very solid seams. They look like they'd stand up to a slide down the road at least as well as Draggin Jeans. Some are quite slim cut and well-fitted and might well work - and if they're waterproof, they'll be Canberra winter morning proof!! (I commuted by m'bike in Canberra for most of 13 years, winter and summer)

Then there are the ski pants that are basically proofed cotton.  They'd probably abrade slightly slower that a wet tissue, so not much protection at all.  Tough lycra might work a bit - I know Canberra push bike riders who wear XC ski pants and ahve fallen in them without too much hardship (hard to hold a bike on Canberra ice at times!).

My winter solution was to add a windproof outer layer - rain pants or a rainsuit - once the temp got under, say, -3C (yes, folks, minus 3 ... minus 3 to minus 5 is common enough, and I'd ride to work as low as minus 8 or 9- rare in Canberra, but does happen a few times each winter).  There are plenty of garish cheap rain pants around, but good bike ones will have a fastening or some way to prevent them being blown up at the ankle.

Now, I'd be inclined to spend the cash to get a solid pair of waterproof /breathable motorcycle pants ... cared for, they last years and you can change at work ...

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 05-07-2012 03:51 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

MangaGal:
    I think I need proper thermal under the draggin jeans. Any good ones you guys know of?

www.ivarnasilk.com

Best stuff around! I've had mine for years and wear them all winter. I've got the leggings, balaclava and gloves. Super light but super warm. Much better than polyester thermals

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 05-07-2012 07:12 PM In reply to

yes, +1 for ivarnasilk. Good stuff! As for the outer layer, I'd bet those Corazzo aprons would be pretty effective at keeping you warm if you don't mind the way they look.

• 05-07-2012 07:46 PM In reply to

Caroanbill:
    My winter solution was to add a windproof outer layer - rain pants or a rainsuit

Yep, I've got a pair of windproof/waterproof outer layer over my draggin jeans. And under my jeans, I have a pair of cotton thermals. I still get freezing cold. Maybe I should check out the ivarnasilk. 

Caroanbill:
    Now, I'd be inclined to spend the cash to get a solid pair of waterproof /breathable motorcycle pants ... cared for, they last years and you can change at work ...

If you meant the motorcycle textile pants with removable winter liner... yes, I've got a pair of Dririder Blizzard. Zip broke after 2 weeks. Got that repaired under warranty. Then 1 year later, the winter liner started to tear at the buttocks area. I think the quality of the pants were ridiculously poor. I paid $170 for them too. 

I went to CMC last weekend, they only stock Dririder brand for ladies. If I wanted to test them out, they would order a couple of IXON for me to try on. Not sure if I can wait till they come in for me to try on. I really would like to get them now. 

If I knew I would have kept my Dririder Nordic. They were fantastic but too bad they were really big for me. I could wear a pair of jeans under them before. Maybe I should just order another pair of Nordic from online store. The truth is, those textile pants just don't fit me perfectly. They're either too long or too big. I can't seem to be able to find one fit me reasonably. 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 05-07-2012 08:12 PM In reply to

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 05-07-2012 09:10 PM In reply to

I bought a few pairs of skipants from ALDI last year.  They were absolute crap, so I took them back.  Wasted so much scotchguard on them too.

I bought them as a warm layer and cetainly not for mechanical protection.  You still need to wear protection.

Rjays make a padded rain pant, but you pay more for short ones, why I don't know.  I've only just started wearing my padded Rjays and they are a bit of an awkward fit.

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 05-07-2012 11:59 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

pyrah:
    I'll have what he's having + oilskins overpants and woolen thermals and merino socks

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 05-08-2012 08:09 AM In reply to

Part of the key to all this is making sure the clothes aren't too tight fitting. I've discovered that my jeans are too tight over my thighs to be able to trap warm air in an insulating layer. I could have six layers of thermals underneath and it still won't work unless a little amount of air can be trapped there. Of course you don't want the clothes so loose that they're annoying, but it seems (to me) necessary for a bit of looseness for the layering principle to work.

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 05-08-2012 09:43 AM In reply to

MangaGal:
     I've got a pair of windproof/waterproof outer layer over my draggin jeans. And under my jeans, I have a pair of cotton thermals. I still get freezing cold. Maybe I should check out the ivarnasilk. 

OK: insulation first. 
    - Cotton has no thermal properties other than perhaps to trap air. Not much use on a scoot. 
    - Nor does polypropelene: polypropelene "thermals" work by wicking moisture* off the skin so it evaporates on the outside of the fabric - useful for exercise but useless on a \ scoot. 
    - Wool insulates well (merino leggings are great)
    - Silk also has great thermal properties
    - Fibrepile is great if you can get it thin enough to wear as leggings - I still have a Mountain Designs pair for under my tour pants

M'cycle pants - $170 is too cheap for quality, IMHO.  Really cheap scoot / bike wear is actually a false economy. I looked at them all for Ms Delectable, and in the end I shelled out $600 for BMW clima-comfort pants.  Sad truth is you get what you pay for.  I have seen quite reasonable pants for around $400 ... there's a BMW touring suit for that sort of money that Rolfe BMW may have - it was always too hot for Australia so never sold and is heavily discounted if there are any left.  Great for Canberra winter riding.

My suggestion would be to look for slightly baggy bib n brace over-wear.  Easier to adjust for short legs (I have 'em, too - duck's disease!) and wear over street pants ... or try these Armadillo ones for ony $185 (seems too cheap to me, but maybe OK)
    http://www.armadilloscootawear.com.au/ladies.html

* Latent heat of vaporisaton = 240 joules/gram, so you want an evaporisation to be off the skin itself

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 05-08-2012 10:30 AM In reply to

MangaGal:

there are draggin jeans k legs for protection.

for thermals i use skins base layer merino wool. if wool gets wet it stays warm.

argentum melle
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au