Scooter
Community

Sydney tolls - a rip off for bikes and scooters?

Last post 05-24-2012 04:17 PM by ponsdale. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-09-2012 02:41 PM

Sydney tolls - a rip off for bikes and scooters?

So I've now been riding my scooter a bit, and have started using it for the commute from Bondi out to Northern Sydney. I've been absolutely shocked to learn that the toll roads in Sydney don't give much (if any) discount for bikes compaired to cars. Given that a bike uses far less of the road, doesnt really contribute to congestion, and causes far less wear to the road than our 4 wheeled cousins, am I alone in thinking this is a bit of a rip-off?

I don't really see why I should be paying as much as a Land Cruiser to use the road!

• 05-09-2012 05:03 PM In reply to

Re: Sydney tolls - a rip off for bikes and scooters?

I saw an article on the news about projected Sydney congestion and the outrageous cost of the North-West Rail Link, how do we let them know that smaller motorcycles and scooters would be the answer here? Confused

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 05-09-2012 06:01 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

You are certainly not alone OB but motorcyclists and scooterists make lousy protesters Wink

history

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 05-09-2012 07:04 PM In reply to

Yep life is not fair sometimes Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 05-09-2012 08:12 PM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 518

pyrah:
     Yep life is not fair sometimes Smile

Heh pretty much... I'm over it. I think of it as $5 per pass through as opposed to the vehicle itself. One less thing to stress about.

It's not like they built privatised motorways out of the goodness of their heart. If we REALLY just had to pay what it cost to maintain the road I'm sure the toll would be less than $5 - even for a car.

Take the bus... 10-tripper costs less than the toll per ride ($3.30?). Kinda awesome when you think about it... Espcially when the route covers M2 / Lane Cove Tunnel / Harbour Bridge!

Heard a rumour that Sydney is the only city in the world to toll the bikes the same rate as cars? Not sure if true, but it's believable.

W

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R / Piaggio Fly 150 3V
  • 05-09-2012 09:31 PM In reply to

• MickJ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2012
    • Freo, WA
    • Posts 68

I lived in Sydney for 8 years and spent 4 years of that stuck in traffic.

So when you think about it, the $ rate per minute is quite low...in fact you're getting a bargain LOL

Vespa GTS

Born to be Mild
  • 05-10-2012 10:57 AM In reply to

Thanks for the link, Jax.... looks like this one has been going for a while!

I'm guessing that it didn't really get anywhere? Scooter picket lines would be great fun though - bring out the brazers!

If there are strong feelings on this issue, I've got a bit of political lobbying experience, and would be happy to work with the community to put a bit of pressure on the NSW Gov to play fair.....

• 05-10-2012 11:09 AM In reply to

I'm old enough......

I'm old enough......to remember when the Sydney H Bridge had different rate for motorbikes AND A DIFFERENT RATE FOR M-BIKES WITH SIDECARS!

Thing is, these days it's all read by computer. it would be SO easy to have any two-wheeled rego plated vehicle-r 3 wheeled in the case of MP3- charged at, let's say, 1/2 price.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 05-10-2012 12:39 PM In reply to

Re: I'm old enough......

Yep - its really easy to do something like that, in fact I'd imagine they already have coding in the system to allow different pricing because you need to specify what type of vehicle an etag is for (bike, car, truck) when you get it.

The issue is more likely that there is no appetite in Govt to do anything about it. Politico thinking on this will be that it is a 'no win' situation for them - if they reduce the tolls for bikes, the road co's will blame them for any increases they force through in the next decade, but they won't get a corresponding number of bike and scooter fans voting for them as a result.....

On the other hand, if 1000 people write to Gladys Berejiklian and say 'I'm going to support the first candidate who promises to revise the tolling charges for bikes, and if you don't, I will tactically vote to get you out of office and replace you with somebody who is more friendly', we'd get plenty of attention in the corridors of power.....

• 05-10-2012 04:47 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

Ripoff is certainly the case , in Victoria ya don't pay tolls for bikes/scooters , i guess its the NSW state govt's way of engouraging commuters to ride instead of drive , i guess they can't give us anything cause they are flat broke ?, wonder whyAngry

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 05-10-2012 05:15 PM In reply to

Wink Try living here 95km to nearest public transport & no cheap petrol cycles would i swap it to live in a city NO WAY Stick out tongue 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 05-10-2012 05:42 PM In reply to

Make sure you call up RTA (or whatever it's called now) and ask about their motorbike pass for the SHB/SHT.  For about $100, you can cross SHB/SHT as many times as you like each quarter.  I use it for my daily Bondi Junction to North Ryde commute.

2009 Vespa GTS 300ie
  • 05-10-2012 09:51 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

octaneboost:
    there is no appetite in Govt to do anything about it

The Govt only run two of the 8 toll roads - the Bridge and the Tunnel - all the others are privately owned and you would have to lobby each one separately.

bradr:
    in Victoria ya don't pay tolls for bikes/scooters

No but they have a $50 TAC levy which their Govt spends on stupid ads telling us to ride slower.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 05-10-2012 10:49 PM In reply to

Geez ponsdale, that's a GOOD bit of info ! I do east Sydney SHT at least twice a week

Aprilia 200ie
  • 05-10-2012 10:51 PM In reply to

ponsdale:

Make sure you call up RTA (or whatever it's called now) and ask about their motorbike pass for the SHB/SHT.  For about $100, you can cross SHB/SHT as many times as you like each quarter.  I use it for my daily Bondi Junction to North Ryde commute.

This should be in a sticky somewhere! For a once-daily user like myself, it works out to a $1.58 bridge/tunnel toll. Pretty good deal!

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/myrta/e-toll/ and click on "motorcyclist" or http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationsstatisticsforms/downloads/45070923.pdf for the form. Thank you ponsdale!

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au