Scooter
Community

Two Wheels "Scooter" mag... is kaput. No more. It has ceased to be.

Last post 06-04-2012 09:40 PM by darrellf1. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2012 10:22 AM

Two Wheels "Scooter" mag... is kaput. No more. It has ceased to be.

Yes, it's true. This is from the new editor of Two Wheels, Grant Roff - I asked about the future of the mag on the Two Wheels forum.

"Sadly, Sharonvespagirl, there will be no more Scooter magazine. The advertising isn't there to support it. We've looked at a scooter section for 2Wheels but the scooter trade tell us that scooter riders don't read motorcycle magazines. They'd support an on-line magazine but we're probably a fair way from being able to manage that at this stage. I'll let you know if there are any developments."

I then rang Express Publications, as I'd just renewed my subscription last month, and they confirmed this. They are offering to either transfer any remaining subscription to another of their mags, or you can get a refund, which I asked for. Very sad... Sad

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 05-21-2012 11:23 AM In reply to

Re: Two Wheels "Scooter" mag... is kaput. No more. It has ceased to be.

Sad .. but understandable.  With only one real 'enthusiast' company still in production (ableit with multiple brands) and t'other enthusiast marque dead to production (but always alive to its adherents!!), what is left of a market that'd read a paper mag?

Potential buyers of m'bikes still want to read about other m'bikes, but realistically who among the scooter market would even care enough to salivate over details of other scooters?  Us, of course, but there are hardly enough of us to count (and I'd have to confess that I find articles about 'other' brands more light entertainment than real subject interest).  Otherwise, scooter buyers seem to treat them more like whitegoods than an enthusiast purchase ...

So, online we go. 

... WHICH LEADS TO A CHEEKY QUESTION FOR ALLEN ...

If online has no paper competition, is your renevue gonna increase enough to add more of a review / test flavour to Scootersales site? yeahyeah, I know that reviews and tests take time and resources, and I agree that even repeating a presser does add some (albiet impeachable) info where otherwise there'd be none ... but maybe if your revenues go up, so can teh fund for independent reviews and tests ... I'd like to wish it were a virtuous circle but I daresay there's pretty limited  revenue potential ... 

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 05-21-2012 12:15 PM In reply to

That's a pity because with the last issue, IMHO, they were getting the blend of articles right, what with the product review, riding advice and that VERY interesting old UK cruizer scooter 

Aprilia 200ie
  • 05-21-2012 01:42 PM In reply to

Tis a pity, even though by the time it came out, it was already out of date.  The big problem was, as said, that there just isn't a big enough market of people who are real enthusiasts.  We used to stock the magazine, but we were lucky to sell more than 4 or 5 copies. The rest we'd end up just giving away or throwing out. 

The problem with magazines funded by advertising is that often the reviews are simply not objective enough, so you didn't get a real feel for the vehicle either. Its clear that this problem is creeping into our national newspapers as well, particularly with the likes of GIna Rinehardt taking on a significant shareholding in Fairfax media, whilst at the same time getting lawyers to issue threats to get media censorship of the details of the family trust issue with her children.  A free press?  I don't think so.

So its clear that the internet is the way to go, and to be honest, the most accurate reviews I've seen have been those published on the net.  Sure, when owners review their own scooters, there is a propensity to pump them up a bit (well, you are hardly going to admit you made a mistake), and some of those "owners" are clearly dealers simply surreptitiously spruiking their own product. 

For a while Allen had some of the dealers review some of the machines that we sold, and rate them on several criteria.  Having a couple of riders (Pete G springs to mind) who have been around long enough that people know that they are objective to compare with would be good, and moreover, might help to keep the dealers real.  If a dealer says the product is great, but the rider doesn't, then you are going to think twice about listening to that dealer in future, aren't you!   The great thing about the internet (as well as being the worst thing) is that there is no place to hide!  It is in many respects, the ultimate democracy.  There are dealers out there, and I'd like to think that we are one, that recognise that being objective, open and transparent is pivotal in providing good, long-term service and hence long-term customers.  Its just "good business".

So perhaps a return to that style of reviewing would be welcome.  I certainly think that it's worth revisiting that format.  I'd be more than happy to let a rider such as Pete borrow our demo's to borrow so that they can review. 

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-21-2012 05:27 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

double post Tongue Tied

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 05-21-2012 05:27 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

steve@ace:
    The problem with magazines funded by advertising is that often the reviews are simply not objective enough,

I gave up reading magazine reviews advertorials a long time ago when they lazily just reprinted the blurb sent to them by the Manufacturer.

Give me a PeteG review anyday!!!!

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 05-21-2012 06:45 PM In reply to

Sad Anyone want to buy all 29 issues of a now collectible Stick out tongue

IMHO  Two Wheels magazine is also going downhill i now much prefer the fortnightly Motorcycle News . The latest copy i got last week still had Jeremy as the editor not a mention of is sadly demise No

• 05-22-2012 12:12 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

well that is a shame though i like the twist and go paper copy from the UK, a lot of reviews, reader rides etc and the salivating of rides we wont get here :(

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 05-22-2012 02:01 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

Having a couple of riders (Pete G springs to mind [me, me, pick me!]) who have been around long enough that people know that they are objective to compare with would be good, and moreover, might help to keep the dealers real.  If a dealer says the product is great, but the rider doesn't, then you are going to think twice about listening to that dealer in future, aren't you!   The great thing about the internet (as well as being the worst thing) is that there is no place to hide!  It is in many respects, the ultimate democracy.  There are dealers out there, and I'd like to think that we are one, that recognise that being objective, open and transparent is pivotal in providing good, long-term service and hence long-term customers.  Its just "good business".

So perhaps a return to that style of reviewing would be welcome.  I certainly think that it's worth revisiting that format.  I'd be more than happy to let a rider such as Pete [me, me, pick me!] borrow our demo's to borrow so that they can review. 

Me, me, pick me!!

Actually, I don't ride enough - a long-ish test would cut into what little time each of my machines already gets.  But going to enthusiastic amateurs would help keep testing costs down when there really isn't sufficient revenue to pay test riders, admittedly at a possible reduction in clarity / consistency (not with Pete G) ... a basic list of topics (engine, ride, handling, brakes, ergos ... ) would help make reviews more comprehensive.  Of course, with a 'stable' of amateur reveiwers you don't get the inbuilt comparator of some who tests every scoot on the market - but if that's no a viabel model anymore, we've lost nuffin anyway.

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 05-22-2012 05:13 PM In reply to

pyrah:

want to buy a

no thanks i have my own set of 29 collectiblesSmile

argentum melle
  • 05-22-2012 07:20 PM In reply to

silverflyer:

pyrah:

want to buy a

no thanks i have my own set of 29 collectiblesSmile

Devil Thats good glad to know there is more than one mug on this site got issue 29 in the post today Yes

• 05-22-2012 07:27 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

So perhaps a return to that style of reviewing would be welcome.  I certainly think that it's worth revisiting that format.  I'd be more than happy to let a rider such as Pete borrow our demo's to borrow so that they can review. 

You could get Wanda to check the touchdown points Wink

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 05-22-2012 08:46 PM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:
    You could get Wanda to check the touchdown points Wink

Oh, that hurts! Sad Stick out tongue

I don't call it "dropping the scooter", I call it testing the dropability & pickupability. Wink

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 05-22-2012 10:00 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Just stumbled onto this thread, and yes it does seem that a niche for a good vibrant review site is up for grabs. I personally like the idea of two or three reviewers with different and possibly opposing viewpoints reviewing the one machine like David and Margaret on the Movie Show, or the three top gear crew. When you get to know the different reviewers peccadilloes the reader can get a more accurate assessment of the product. The best one I was involved with was the Midwinter madness shootout that Allen, Murray and I did on the three maxis last year. Also a group review frees up the reviewer to put down what they really  think. The current thread/review on the Honda Integra is also an interesting model. Id be interested in getting a rider review team together to test any scooter that Allen can get his hands on. Id also like a Skuta Stig to put scooters through a circuit on some track like Hart and some scooter drag offs just for fun.

Scooternut:
    I call it testing the dropability & pickupability. Wink
    And a female reviewer would be an absolute necessity..Lets do it!

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 05-22-2012 10:13 PM In reply to

"Skuta Stig".......very nice

Aprilia 200ie
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au