Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Road rage!

Last post 07-06-2012 10:58 AM by Caroanbill. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2012 09:19 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

Re: Road rage!

Lizziecro:

Hmm... but surely if the other bloke has 3rd party insurance too, his insurance company should pay out Occy? Or maybe not as it was deliberate.... hmmm.

I honestly think this is a case for police/legal action never mind insurance.

I'm not so sure that Beemerbrain's insurance will actually cover a criminal act which is what the incident was ! , from what i've seen in the media of late , "roadrage" as its called carries some pretty stiff penalties including prison , hopefully there were witnesses who will go as far as court if required who can identify the pilot of the BMW, i notice a comment in among all these about "taking his BMW apart right before his eyes " , i think you did the right thing in not fighting back , this bloke had obviously lost it completely & would be capable of anything including actually running you & scooter down , when you say you've contacted police ? , was it just via 000 ? or have you been to a police station and actually made a complaint and had a statement taken etc ?, if not then you need to do that asap , whichever police station you attend , ask to talk with a highway patrol sergent , preferably the supervising officer who's actually in charge of that patrol area, from what you say about where it happened , i would think its probably Rose Bay Highway Patrol ? , if you're not sure on which patrol area it was , i could ask our local guys , they would probably know .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 06-29-2012 09:46 AM In reply to

Omg. Are you feeling alright now? Poor thing. *Hugz* Right Hug

I think see if you can borrow some money from friends/families, get your Aprilia fixed up, while you go through the legal process of getting compensation because that would take ages. The chances are that idiot probably haven't got a valid rego / insurance if he ignored your (or anyone's) safety and run over your scoot.

You did the right thing to step aside though. That took some clear head thinking. I would have been too terrified to get outta the way. Embarrassed

Please don't feel terrified to ride again. You won't meet any idiot like that again and you probably wouldn't see him again. Keep your chin up. Everything will work out eventually. Keep riding, don't give up otherwise that idiot would have won. Smile

I know this may sound stupid but I think it's best to avoid aggrevation on the road. I avoid going in between cars because I'm too afraid to piss someone crazy like that off. Lucky for me, Canberran drivers are pretty cool with it. I only do it if I absolutely have to. Most of all, I enjoy riding so I take some sweet time on the road and even if I'm late to work, at least I had a relaxed cruise on my scoot. LOL Big Smile

Just remember, it's not you who did wrong. It's not your fault. Please don't feel down. It is horrible what happened but please don't feel this was your fault. Keep smiling Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Mister Meaner" Beverly 250
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 06-29-2012 12:04 PM In reply to

Thanks Clare! I got your message, and I'll give you a call later.

• 06-29-2012 12:25 PM In reply to

Thanks, Lizzie! Its been a really positive experience for me just to get some support from other riders, so a big thank you to everybody for your kind words. It really meant a lot when the guy on the black scooter who was passing stopped and gave me a hand - its good to know you're not alone when you feel vulnerable!

Now had a chat with the police, and whilst they were very nice, I get the feeling that it's not at the top of the priority list (perfectly understandable - if I was a PC investigating a number of crimes/offences, road rage would probably not be biggest thing on my plate). The officer has checked the plates on the vehicle, and they don't match up so it's possible I didn't get a correct note of it. To be honest, it was all a bit of a blur, and I was so shaken up afterwards it was hard to put everything in order in my mind! The upshot of this is that they don't think they would be able to ID the vehicle for prosecution, so unless something else comes up, I don't think they will take it further.

Its not so much the repair costs I'm bothered about (although these will be fairly substantial), its more the fact that the kind of person who uses a car as a weapon should not be trusted with a vehicle. He was so aggresive that I think, had I been a bit smaller/shorter/more vulnerable, he would have taken a swing at me. Fortunately, I grew up in a rough part of the world, so its not the first time I've met a bully! A child on a bicycle, on the other hand............ 

• 06-29-2012 12:28 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 836

The big thing is to follow up on the Police action and do everything you can to have the driver charged with as many offences as possible.

After the first hit the driver failed to exchange names and addresses then continued damaging your property and left the scene of the accident.  Given the recent hit and run incidents with motorcycles, the Police need to take this case on investigate it thoroughly and get that driver off the road.

If the police do there job, the civil action to get your scooter fixed is relatively easy once you have the BMW owners name and address.  Your scooter is probably written off, the chances of it being economical to repair are low and your much better demanding full replacement cost.  The insurance company can work out what to do with the wreck.

There is a real chance the driver was on drugs at the time of the offence so don't take it personally.  Use it as a learning experience that some drivers are dangerous.  Ride regularly and you will find driver aggression is almost expected by riders.

If your not happy about the progress with the police, make sure everything is in writing and escalate it to senior police then the local member of Parliament.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 06-29-2012 12:38 PM In reply to

Dingo, 10 years ago I'd probably just have invited him somewhere quiet for a 'full and frank exchange of opinions', and left it at that! As I've got older I've become a bit more circumspect (and sensible!), which is probably for the best, as if it had gone the other way, I'd be looking at an assault charge. 

As the other posts on the thread (and the other people at the scene) show, for every a******* there are 100 good people out there.  

• 06-29-2012 12:44 PM In reply to

I'm so sick of people getting away with using their vehicle as a weapon to intimidate others.

Geez OB, this is the worst of the worst of experiences you're likely to have on the road. It's criminal. My heart goes out to you. Part of me wants you to post on the "Report A Bad Driver" website, go to the media etc etc but as others have said it's best taking the legal path & hitting the maniac as hard as you can.

I'd suggest you take your scooter to a mechanic for them to have a good look over it, list what needs repairing & how much it's going to cost.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-29-2012 01:06 PM In reply to

I'd recommend as next steps that you contact your witnesses and check the licence plate details.  I'd also ask them to call the police officer you're dealing with and ask them to request they pursue it further.

Failing that, the BMW was probably heading home along New South Head Rd.  I'd dress warmly and take a chair and stake out a spot near a set of lights for a couple of nights at around the same time.  Make sure you have a camera ready to record the car and licence plate details, but also the driver and if you can, any damage to the front.

2009 Vespa GTS 300ie
  • 06-29-2012 01:23 PM In reply to

Definitely file a police report.Then get back on your scooter and keep riding. You caught the one in a millon psychopath.

I've had nothing but positive compliments about my scooter.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 06-29-2012 04:05 PM In reply to

Depending on how far you want to take things, head back to the "scene of the crime" and check for traffic cameras in the area (both before, at and immediately after the lights).  Not sure how to get imagery from them, but maybe an FOI request or similar..

Cheers and hope you get some justice on this..

Brand New and very Shiny Maxsym 400

2004 Gilera VXR200
  • 06-30-2012 07:20 PM In reply to

Personally, I would have picked up the biggest, heaviest piece of the now mangled scooter, and made sure the mongrel took it home with him.... Straight through his windscreen... 

• 06-30-2012 08:47 PM In reply to

Ergh, considering the nut deliberately drove his precious & obviously expensive BMW repeatedly at the scooter, damaging both, I wouldn't be inclined to step in but completely agree with what was done stepping back out of the way. I've had my fair share of interactions with crazy idiots (on a much milder scale) and would never encourage anyone to approach them but instead use other avenues, such as insurance & police. Let them deal with the maniac, it'll affect them far more than anythign you could do & you remain completely blameless.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-30-2012 09:20 PM In reply to

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 07-01-2012 01:23 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

ponsdale:

I'd recommend as next steps that you contact your witnesses and check the licence plate details.  I'd also ask them to call the police officer you're dealing with and ask them to request they pursue it further.

Failing that, the BMW was probably heading home along New South Head Rd.  I'd dress warmly and take a chair and stake out a spot near a set of lights for a couple of nights at around the same time.  Make sure you have a camera ready to record the car and licence plate details, but also the driver and if you can, any damage to the front.

That is a brilliant idea , darn good chance that he travels the route regurlarly , question is do you lay in wait with a camera or a CROWBAR Big Smile , cause there is nothing like the element of surprise , and although not the ''correct '' way to handle it , its probably best to deal with this type in lingo that they understand .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 07-02-2012 10:16 AM In reply to

bradr:

... question is do you lay in wait with a camera or a CROWBAR Big Smile 

Camera only.  No point stooping to their low level of civility.  You want to be able to press charges against this guy, not end up in the cell next to him.

2009 Vespa GTS 300ie
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au