Scooter
Community

The not quite so lonely road..

Last post 08-15-2012 03:52 PM by pyrah. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-04-2012 09:10 AM

The not quite so lonely road..

This is a place holder post,but.. The round the country ride has started (on the 2nd Aug).  We are currently in Agnes Waters and heading north in about 30 minutes.  I will post more and photos soon..

Brand New and very Shiny Maxsym 400

2004 Gilera VXR200
  • 08-04-2012 08:15 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 322

Re: The not quite so lonely road..

Good stuff Ian!!Looking forward to reading about this ride,Gaz

• 08-04-2012 08:28 PM In reply to

Yep keep us posted Yes 

• 08-05-2012 03:46 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Can ya believe it... I'M jealous! Indifferent

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 08-05-2012 07:48 AM In reply to

Day the 1st.  Ahh. Awoke to the soumds of birds chirping, dogs barking and cats purr.  Today was going to be a great day to start the ride.  I had planned, sought amd recieved vast amounts of advice (thanks everyone!!!). Every detail had been planned for or taken in into account (i can hear people giggle at that..).  Loaded up the scooter, put my gear on and climbed aboard.  it becomes apparent that my planning a prep appears to have been less than sterling at this point..When preloading the bike, I apparently forgot to put my day pack on to test my seating..its onlt 7 or 8cm thick, but this pushes me just enough forward on the seat to be really uncomfortable..a bit of repacking and minor curse sort of fixes it.  And I Off!!  Gliding through the Samford valley towards the meeting point in Maleny, the world zipping by, when suddenly it feels like someone a set off a bomb under the bike and the engine is screaming.  After I coast for about 200 metres and catchup with my heart and I calm down, I assess that I have broken a belt.  At this point I shoul say thta I have covered 19km's of the approx 16000km's for the trip. Not a good start (the scooter gods are very fickle).  After the valley has finished echoing with my cry's of anguish and sceams of rage I put to work my extensive mechanical knowledge to fix it.  Out came the phone and soon enough out came my much suffering mechanic with trailer (thanks Jason!). 2 and a bit hours later the belt was replaced and I was on my way....again...

The next chapter will be "Day the 1st.1"

Brand New and very Shiny Maxsym 400

2004 Gilera VXR200
  • 08-05-2012 11:17 AM In reply to

Big Smile Better now than latter Big Smile 

• 08-06-2012 01:08 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Tempest:
    the scooter gods are very fickle

Sounds just like my first day

link

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 08-06-2012 11:22 AM In reply to

Well, I learned some things riding with Karen before sending her on to meet up with Ian.

One, a mid size city scoot is capable of touring.  I had a front rack with camping gear, seat bag with a quick(ish) release for fuelling (gotta lift the GTS seat) and really, enough space for spares and tools, my expresso kit and even some decent wine.  The GTS pulled fine up hils and corners - wouldn't hold 100km/h in tough going like Thunderbolts Way, but it did very, very much better than I'd expected.  I was even having idle thouhts about getting the 4 valve 270cc kit and upgear to gring its capability up to holding 120km/h with enough reserve for overtaking and serious hills.

Two, a 12" wheel, mid wheelbase scoot has to be ridden constantly.  There just isn't the downtime you get on an open-road motorcycle like my R1200R - so where I am used to simply cruising open range country at any speed I choose, and having the bike take care of business, I had to manage / ride the GTS all the time.  It wiggles and woggles - not dangerous, merely a consequence  of its design and dynamics - but you never get to ease off at 100km or above.  And to make time out on roads like Thunderbolts, 100kmh is the minimum.  I won't post what speeds the R1200R sees on those roads ...

.. so my conclusion was that 500km a day is the maximum sustainable distance for a scooter tour.  Even on open roads, that duistance is the most you could do day-in, day-out.

Anyway, back to the travellers - last note from Ian was Sarina, Qld.  Hope you're enjoying the lanscape as much as putting onthe miles!!

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 08-06-2012 02:44 PM In reply to

Wink Maybe consider one of these accessories click Stick out tongue 

• 08-06-2012 03:05 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Wink Maybe consider one of these accessories click Stick out tongue 

Karen gave me one of these (to work, they have to be given - not purchased) - I didn't put it on.  I ain't supersitious (black cat crossed my path today .. ba-da-da-bam ..)

Fate is a callous crone.  My not-superstitious GTS lurches to a halt at Possum Brush, 10km north of Nabiac NSW and 280km from home. Had to get it with a trailer after the NRMA did their best. Looks like the coil coz fuelling looks OK, fires fine on 'start ya b*st*rd' but not fuel alone, checked plug and connections / lead so coil problem > weak spark seems the culprit ...

... no doubt the gremlin bell would've warded this off.  yeah. right.

• 08-06-2012 03:22 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

sounds like yours has fallen foul of the dodgy HT lead.....

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 08-06-2012 03:48 PM In reply to

LOL Caroanbill you will be telling me next you don't believe in the easter bunny Big Smile

• 08-06-2012 03:49 PM In reply to

Linz:

sounds like yours has fallen foul of the dodgy HT lead.....

Apparently the injector cover is cracked ... at 7,000km, and 1 month out of warranty.  The plug cap looked a bit iffy, but OK, and HT lead seemed OK - hence suspicion it was the coil.  If it's injector replacement, only $88-$118 via GPS Imports - but I'm still thinking PSI / Piaggio should pick up parts & labour.  Injectors are supposed to last what - 50,000km in scoots??  But it ain't the end o' the world (by contrast, replacement ABS for my BMW 1200? Try $3,400AUD.  Gulp) .

• 08-07-2012 05:16 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Have we heard from the guys Bill? Is everything going OK

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 08-08-2012 10:07 AM In reply to

No msg since Sat, and no recent update on Karen's blog
    http://scooterwanderlust.blogspot.com.au/ 
     - you've prompted me to text Ian to remind him we're all eyes an' ears.

I think they're travelling lower distances than originally planned - probably a consequence of highway work.  In a strange way, 2-3 lane highways turn out to be more tiring than backroads, because you've got to manage the 100kmh wiggle (more apparent in highway riding) and traffic .. some of which a scoot lacks the 'oomph' to get past quickly, some of which press up your cloaca - so there's a more tiring mental game to manage speed and momentum ... not that the Bruce Higway has much in the way of big hills between Gympie and Mackay, or between Bowen and Innisfail. 

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au