Scooter
Community

The 1975 Honda C90 Super Cub with plenty of work to do

Last post 10-20-2013 12:13 AM by john felton. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2012 04:51 PM

• Aly H
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 39

The 1975 Honda C90 Super Cub with plenty of work to do

Finally, after months of searching, I got my hands on a mostly-complete C90!

Even from looking at the pictures on the Gumtree ad, I knew there were some things odd about it. And now that I've taken a closer look, here are its oddities:

The engine had been replaced with one off a CT90. Which means a dual range 4 speed, which would be good... if the shifter worked. A bike that doesn't get into gear isn't a good start, and so I have a number of options. Attempt to rebuild the gearbox and engine, or find a new engine. Unfortunately, CT90 engines are hard to come by, and even with C90 engines the newer HA02-numbered engines have different mounting bolt positions from the C90-nubered engines.

It's a single-seater with rear rack, but not of the sort that was used on the JDM model (export models came with a double-seat). They are likely also off the same CT90 (and the rear rack is mounted backwards and held steady by a spring).

The wiring seems to be patched together with plenty of non-standard connectors.

The leg-shield is off a slightly different model and is too long, and can't be held down by the clamp that should be there.

And the exhaust - still with rather good chrome - has a massive hole in it.

So, this is going to be quite a big job, and the first step is to get it running. Still, should be an interesting challenge. Now, to get me a Haynes manual...

• 10-12-2012 05:11 PM In reply to

Re: The 1975 Honda C90 Super Cub with plenty of work to do

LOL you found one at last what about rego with the wrong engine number ?

• 10-12-2012 05:24 PM In reply to

• Aly H
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 39

I think that's the least of my issues, to be honest. I don't think the frame and the engine numbers are supposed to be matching, at least from what I read, and it's an 89cc Honda engine just like the one it came with. Also, there weren't any papers - just a hand-written receipt, since it'd been sitting in a shed for decades.

My biggest problem is, naturally, that it doesn't work. On top of which I need new brake lines, brake shoes, throttle cable, fuel lines, chain, sprockets, bearings, shocks, and a battery. =P

Would anyone know anywhere that has a massive stash of C90 parts that I could buy in bulk? Hunting these down individually seems like a major headache...

• 10-15-2012 09:02 PM In reply to

• Aly H
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 39

Hired a van yesterday and took the little Cub home! Now that I've had plenty of time to stare at it, I realise there's one glaringly massive problem with it. (It was an impulse buy...)

The transmission is seized up, so has the dual-range lever, and the kickstarter. Also, it seems that the engine was poorly repaired in the past, and is missing some important bolts that hold it together. Seeing as it appeared to be leaking water whilst being laid on its side for transport, this is really not good.

Also, yup - that exhaust is gone.

The good news it that everything else is intact. The suspension is solid, the frame hasn't got any structural rust, and everything that's supposed to be on it is on it. Doesn't seem like I'll need much to get it back to a rudimentary working condition - all I'll need except for a working engine are brake and throttle cables, brake shoes, a chain, a battery, and fuel lines.

Would anyone know where to ask around for a replacement engine? It's a shame that the best-selling motorised vehicle in all of history is so rare in Australia, and I presume most of them are sitting in people's sheds taking up space and not much else... =/

• 10-15-2012 10:09 PM In reply to

Devil I hope they paid you to take it away Big Smile 

• 10-27-2012 11:29 PM In reply to

Hi, not sure if you emailed me but can't find the PM now. If you did, my friend would be glad to help you out to get the parts you may need. It looks pretty original and would make a good basis for a resto.

email my friend on chaugiahien@gmail.com

www.phuhung-bikecare.com

He's a good guy, speaks English well and knows Cubs very well. If you want to order anything from him, trust him, he won't disappear with your money. 

• 10-28-2012 08:03 PM In reply to

• Aly H
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 39

Pyrah - you calling a surviving complete '75 Cub worthless? You're dreamin' =P

SGN Scott - thanks, I'll be getting in touch with your friend! I'm currently working on the mechanical side of things and getting it running again, but once I start restoring it I'll likely need quite a bit of repro parts.

--

Started pulling the Cub apart last weel, with not-very-reassuring results.

Out comes the engine... and oops, there goes the exhaust. Stupid thing was literally made out of rust - when I lifted it out of the way rust kept coming out of it.

The disembodied engine sprang another leak again, of rainwater. Not a good sign, as usual - but wouldn't hurt to disassemble it and see what's going on.

The first thing I noticed was that everything was loose! All the engine cover bolts came out with little force, and it looked like someone had been in there before. And not put it together correctly - some of the shifter bits that the service manual says should be there, are missing. But to a more pressing issue: I can't turn the engine by hand. It's really likely that the rainwater had gotten into the cylinder and rusted everything together, at this point.

Wheel de-rusting commenced. (It's quite amazing what aluminium foil and water can do!)

Also, yesterday I went to see this guy who I heard had a damaged bike with undamaged engine - which turned out to be a CT90. The guy, who was an old ex-machanic (and has a shed literally full of tools, machinery, and parts for Model T and A Fords as well as a million other cars) hadn't tested it since he was going to repair the frame and use it for a CT110 conversion so I brought along a battery and spark plug and got to work.

We connected everything up and fed it good fuel, and - no signs of life. Through the afternoon, we pretty much looked over all possible points of failure - adjusted the points and cleaned the contact surfaces, pulled apart the carby and de-gunked its innards, made sure it was being fed enough electricity, fixed the stuck dual-range lever, tuned the carby and the air/fuel mixture - until, a few shots of Start Ya *** later, it sprang to life in a cloud of smoke. I then got to ride around a field on the CT90 with the fixed engine, which was awesome fun!

Anyways, I now have a good engine. It's not 100% - the transmission needs adjustments and possibly a set of new clutch plates, as well as piston rings likely, but it is tested and working.

Now to find me the rest of the parts. I can't actually start the engine on the Cub, since I lack some crucial things it needs to work. An ignition key, throttle cable, fuel lines and an exhaust and chain for starters - and for it to be roadworthy, brake shoes, a brake cable, tubes and tyres.

If anyone knows where I can get cheap tyres and tubes for these in Sydney I'd be very glad =] 

• 10-28-2012 09:03 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

thats good..

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 10-28-2012 09:07 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

and it looks perfect for a restoration

if you can get the topend or use the other engine and find a few parts your right on

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 11-03-2012 04:10 PM In reply to

• Aly H
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 39

Brand new ignition barrel and key arrived!

Seems that the indicators, horn and rear brake lamp switch work. The headlamp, position lamp, and tail lamp don't - but I'm not sure if they're powered from the battery or the alternator, so will have to find out once I get the motor running on the bike.

Also, spent yesterday afternoon painting and polishing:

Wheels

Rear Hub & Sprocket

Side stand & footpegs

Ordered enough parts to make this roadworthy, hope it arrives soon...

• 11-03-2012 05:05 PM In reply to

Wheel looks nice but valve stem looks a bit skew-whiff 

• 11-06-2012 08:22 PM In reply to

• Aly H
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 39

Pyrah - the tubes and tyres, being of indeterminate age, are going to be thrown out, that's why I didn't mind getting paint all over them!

Reassembled everything, fed it some fuel from a temporary tank, and...

LIFE!

(I'd expected it to blow a massive cloud of smoke, but it actually ran clean.)

Now to get it powdercoated and polished, and fix the other mechanicals after my exams are done... =D

• 11-09-2012 06:05 PM In reply to

This is an interesting thread. thanks for the info and the pix

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-20-2013 12:13 AM In reply to

I must say that was a great read and a top job good on ya mate if possible please send a finishedphotoe .

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au