Scooter
Community

Newbie confused by NSW licensing

Last post 01-04-2013 04:08 AM by pyrah. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-16-2012 01:25 PM

• ks1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2012
    • Posts 1

Newbie confused by NSW licensing

Hi all. 

I have a question regarding licensing in NSW. I’ve had a look on this forum and also the RMS, but haven’t been able to find a clear answer to my issue. I’m currently on my learners and did the pre-learners course on a manual bike. However I got a scooter (a Kymco like200i) which I have been riding since and intend on going and doing the MOST on to get my P’s. I understand if I do the test on the scooter I will have an auto-only licence condition. But what I’m confused about is the under 160cc condition they have. The Kymco is just over 160cc. Does that mean the license will be conditioned to say I’m technically not supposed to be riding the scoot I have been while on my Learners? I’m assuming not as that would be absurd, but I wasn’t able to get a straight answer from the guy on the RMS help line. I get the feeling he wasn’t really sure of the answer. 

Also, when I move through to get my full licence in 12 months (as I’m over 25, have a full car license, etc) will that licence be unrestricted? No auto-only or crazy under 160cc requirements? I’m not saying I want to go get a sports bike at that point, but I would like to have the option of a broader range of bikes open to me including stuff like the larger scooter/bike crossovers companies like Honda have put out.

Any answers to clear some of this up for me would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

• 11-16-2012 08:56 PM In reply to

Re: Newbie confused by NSW licensing

Ring 'em again and insist to the operator some clarification, get them to explain to your satisfaction, don't let them fob you off with their answer, don't let them go till you are sure you understand.Hmm

....lets have another drink...
  • 11-17-2012 04:10 PM In reply to

Hi there,

I read your post & thought I'd try to shed some light on your situation if that's ok? I'm currently working as a H.A.R.T rider trainer and my understanding is that you are correct about having a restricted licence if you choose to do your MOST (Motorcycle Operators Skills Test) on the auto scooter. This restriction will stand for the period of your Provisional licence which in your case will only be 12 months given you are indeed eligible for the "exemption" as it's called, ie: over 25yrs of age & hold a current, unrestricted NSW driving licence.Your scooter being 160cc is irrelevant as there is only a further restriction placed on a rider who passes the MOST on an auto machine of less than 125cc. This would mean they are exempt from doing the entire RMS Pre-Provisional Course and just do the MOST (go figure that one!) BUT they can only ride a machine not exceeding 125cc for the Provisional licence period. In your case you could also have your auto restriction lifted before your P's 12mths is up by passing the MOST again on a manual bike. How's that?Smile

Phil

Young riders choose a destination. Older riders choose a direction.
  • 11-19-2012 01:33 PM In reply to

LOL, after I read that explanation I got a headache and had to lie down for a bit to recover :) Not Phil's fault by any means, it's just that the licensing system is becoming such a confusing maze I can no longer keep up! I am so glad I obtained my licence in relatively simple times.

• 12-30-2012 07:03 PM In reply to

I too got a headache reading that and I have read that 10 times. Panadine won't fix it! hahaha!

Let me get this straight. for those that do their MOST, pre-provisonal course and practical on-the-road test on a scooter <160cc, would I forever be condemned to the sub 160cc category as I'm over 25.

On my pre-learners course I completed today, the instructor told me regardless if you're over 25, you need to do the MOST as well as the on-road test (i.e 2 test, not just MOST as I thought) to be able to remove the sub 160cc and A/T restriction when you go on the full license. It's really confusing and isn't even spelt out on the RMS web site at all about this.

• 12-30-2012 11:08 PM In reply to

Welcome to you newbie folk!

OK, I'll bite.

In short, ignore totally the 160cc thingy - totally irrelevant. Much bigger automatic scooters and geared motorbikes go through, no worries, and those people eventually have unrestricted licences. I believe the maximum size bike/scooter a learner can have is 660ml, not 160. (Not sure where that figure came from). You will be able to move onto an unrestricted licence.

You will do both the MOST test, and the road test in order to be given your red Ps. (These tests are done on the same day, usually at the RTA practice range and suburbs around it). Your P licence/Provisional licence will state that you are able to ride an automatic only. After 12 months you will go to the RMS/RTA and get your full licence and this will then enable you to buy whatever you like, manual/auto, in whatever size you wish. The licence will not state auto/manual.

Have you done a Google for this info? I found the RTA site was pretty clear really. The info is all there, and it is definite, not like opinions expressed over the phone. If you highlight this link you can go to the page.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/hubpages/hub_motorcycle.html?llid=motorcyclists

Just don't worry about it really. When you start out with anything new like this, everything seems a bit puzzling and daunting. Be neither puzzled, nor daunted dear newbies. All is well. Smile

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 01-03-2013 10:32 PM In reply to

Thanks for the clarification. Now to hit the streets with my bright yellow L(oser) plates!

• 01-03-2013 10:48 PM In reply to

Funny way to look at yourself! L is not for loser, but for Liberated! Smile

If you consider yourself a loser on the scooter, even if only because of your L plates, then why bother? No-one on the road will respect you if you don't act like you demand their respect. Loser-mind won't give you that. Go out there showing confidence (even if you don't yet feel confident), and behave as if you have a right to be there, (because you do). Pretend until it becomes normal and you don't have to pretend anymore. That's how life works, isn't it?

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 01-04-2013 03:43 AM In reply to

When I finally got around to getting my NSW bike licence, way back in 1985, they had a very cool rule whereby you could ride any bike you liked on your "L's" as long as you had a full, "Black", car licence.

I promptly went out and purchased a CB750 with an 860cc kit in it and had a ball! Devil

When I went back to do my riding-test, the instructor told me to ride around the block and come back.  He then got me to idle the bike alongside him back into the carpark.

He then informed me I'd passed.  I asked him how he knew I'd passed and he said "Well, you didn't fall off!"

..... and off I went on my merry was with a "black" bike license! Yes

Scooter Dave
    Sym MaxSYM 400i ABS in White
    Darwin
    NT

• 01-04-2013 04:08 AM In reply to

Wink LOL its not for ever i had some in 69 Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au