Scooter
Community

THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie

Last post 11-08-2015 11:20 PM by Lizziecro. 369 replies.
Page 5 of 25 (370 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2012 12:07 AM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - THE AIR HAWK SEAT

TIP like to put some elastic cords around my luggage in case some thing breaks crusher or displaces then the cords take up the slack and no loose load

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-07-2012 12:34 AM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - LUGGAGE RE-VISITED

You're just a veritable encyclopaedia of great ideas Pyrah! Thanx!

I've had a re-think about my luggage. I've decided to ditch the tent and sleeping bag for this trip. I was only bringing them to get me used to extra weight, etc, but really I think I've overdone it for a first trek. I'll already be dealing with a whole bunch of new 'toys' to get used to, plus the actually long days riding, so best not to over-do it I think. I'm a bit disappointed, but I think it may be for the best this time. I won't be taking as much as all this to Tasmania in 4 weeks time, so I don't need to take it tomorrow. Still, it was good practice packing it and seeing how it all went together.

But one day I will be taking the camping gear... one day soon, I hope. Smile

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 12-07-2012 08:35 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Looks like you are very back heavy. Can you strap that tent bag to the front of the bike?

After your first day you will be sick to death of unpacking that entire scenario every time you need to fill up.

But good luck and have FUN!

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 12-07-2012 08:57 AM In reply to

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 12-07-2012 02:01 PM In reply to

Good idea Yes even found a picture with the right colour Vespa Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-07-2012 05:57 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Jax:

Looks like you are very back heavy. Can you strap that tent bag to the front of the bike?

After your first day you will be sick to death of unpacking that entire scenario every time you need to fill up.

If it is back heavy the Vespa will soon start shaking its head to let you know. Then its a matter of shifting the weight forward or turning home to repack coz you can't tour with shaking bars. If its running straight it should do it well.

Jax:
    But good luck and have FUN!
    Ditto

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 12-07-2012 07:46 PM In reply to

• iky
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2012
    • Sydney
    • Posts 54

danceswithdingoes:

Thanks for the link - do you know if this something that I could install myself?

Liz - thanks for the great tips and all the pics.  Makes it easier to see the preperation for a long trip.  So super organised that I am sure that your first day of travel went as planned.  Looking forward to hearing about the journey!

It is all about VESPA!
    Started with a Orange Vespa S125ie.
    Then a Yellow Vespa GTS 250ie.
    Followed by a Arancio Competizione (Orange) Vespa GTS 300 i.e SS Special Edition.
    Now a GTV 300 Via Montenapoleone
  • 12-07-2012 08:14 PM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - THE INAUGURAL, SOLO, 3 DAY RIDE

Yes Jax and Pete, I'd already figured that and ditched the top bag + sleeping bag. It reduced the weight and bulk significantly. In reality I'd probably never need to carry that much at any time. I also didn't have much at all in the topbox, as I'm aware of the wobble factor with weight beyond the rear wheel. But thanks for the feedback which is always appreciated.

If you can't carry weight like that on the pillion seat, how would you ever carry a pillion without the scooter shaking? I can see that a lot of their weight would be directed to the pegs, but surely the most of it would be on the seat??

Anyway!! I made it to Canberra and really enjoyed the ride! I would've preferred not to ride 2.3 kms of mud, (road works) but as scary as that was, it thrust me into the situation and I managed it. The ride started to lose it's novelty around the 200km mark. I'd had a couple of stops for morning tea and photo's, but clearly I was starting to get a bit fatigued at that point. I found that when I stopped after then that manoeuvering myself off the laden scooter became a little more difficult.

Re luggage: While the tunnel bag is great, and I will continue to use it because of it's convenience, positioning it on and off the scooter can be a bit awkward. Still, it's better than the constant removal of keys and opening top-boxes, etc. The fact you can take it with you is a bonus. I ended up slipping the strap over my left forearm, then getting on, then squeezing it into the space and looping the strap through the bag hook. (Pinwin, how do you do it?). The Bags Connection cargo bag is brilliant! I had it filled with quite a bit of stuff (not needed, but in there to gain experience), and it remained firmly in position through the journey. Removing it for petrol was easy and quick, and so was re-anchoring it. Initially it felt really weird having it against my lower back, and I wasn't sure I could handle that. But eventually as I got over it (!!) I found that it was quite good at providing support to my lower back, and I didn't seem to get any upper back pain, which I usually would on a longer trip.

Still thinking on the Throttle Rocker. Not sure whether I like it really. I don't like the fact i can't actually feel the 'pad' of the Rocker with my hand, therefore seem to put pressure on it when I don't really want to. Yep. A problem. So tomorrow I'll take it off and see how I go. Might take some getting used to??

Air Hawk seat...hmm. I rode from my place to the base of MacQuarie Pass (about 40 minutes) and decided to remove it before I went up the Pass. I seemed too 'disconnected' from the seat, and as if I was sliding off the seat. Given I also had less room to actually sit, because of the cargo bag, I thought I'd better not use it going up the Pass. But instead I just let a bit more air out of it, and that seemed a lot better. Did it make any noticeable difference to comfort?? Not sure. Can't say i've ever really been too bothred by the scooter seat, so it's hard to tell whether it's better. Will persevere tomorrow when I think I'm doing about 410 kms. Today was 283 (I think).

The ride up MacQuarie Pass was the part of the journey I thought would be the most difficult, as I'd only ever done it once before and was now carrying an unfamiliar weight. But it was brilliant! A lovely smooth ride, with no worries at all.

I went along the beautiful Myra Vale Road - wow that's a great ride! Then wound my way through rural roads, Fitzroy Falls, Penrose, and a whole heap of little towns I'd never heard of. Up to the Hume at marulan, then took a wrong exit and ended up in the real Marulan, where I bought the best cream bun I've ever had!!! Yum! Real cream, huge bun, and only $2. I'll be taking that 'wrong exit' again!! Then back off the Hume and headed down along Jerrara Road, Oallen Ford Road, through Tarago, Bungendore and Queanbeyan, before getting into Calwell around 2ish.

I admit I did feel a little knocked around, but I was possibly a bit dehydrated. Or, alternatively, just not a Spring chicken! But overall I had a great day! Riding through this beautiful countryside just leaves me amazed and grateful that I live here. How lucky are we in this country? When we get in our cars and stick to the main roads we miss so much. Just by riding the scooter you tend to go on roads less travelled and see so much more!

Maggie performed wonderfully today! What a great scooter the GTs 250ie is! Again, am feeling very blessed!

I'm currently in the South of Canberra, at my daughter's place.Tomorrow I'm off to Wagga via Yass, Harden, Cootamundra, Junee and Coolamon. It'll be a very big day - well, for me anyway! Smile

• 12-07-2012 09:12 PM In reply to

Great report looking forward to the next issue Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-07-2012 09:13 PM In reply to

Great report looking forward to the next issue Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-07-2012 09:47 PM In reply to

• razoo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-12-2011
    • Inner west, Sydney
    • Posts 102

Lizziecro:

I admit I did feel a little knocked around, but I was possibly a bit dehydrated. Or, alternatively, just not a Spring chicken! But overall I had a great day! Riding through this beautiful countryside just leaves me amazed and grateful that I live here. How lucky are we in this country? When we get in our cars and stick to the main roads we miss so much. Just by riding the scooter you tend to go on roads less travelled and see so much more!

Maggie performed wonderfully today! What a great scooter the GTs 250ie is! Again, am feeling very blessed!

Lizzie, great to see you're out on the road! YesYesYes

I'm really enjoying reading about the trip and your preparations. It's nice to read this syle of report. Hopefully you'll be able to share a few photos when you get time.

Daelim S1 + Peugeot Geopolis 400
  • 12-07-2012 10:06 PM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - THE INAUGURAL, SOLO, 3 DAY RIDE

Thanks Razoo. I was on your road less travelled, from when you picked up the Burgman.

Hope I can get the photo's up before my battery runs out......

In the beginning there was The Pass, and it was MacQuarie Pass, and it was good.

• 12-07-2012 10:10 PM In reply to

Somewhere on the Myra Vale Road in the highlands. Sadly I couldn't stop to take photo's of the more amazing views.

• 12-07-2012 10:12 PM In reply to

Same road, highlands.

• 12-07-2012 10:16 PM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - THE INAUGURAL SOLO 3 DAY TRIP

They even had a farm ready for my arrival.  Wink

Page 5 of 25 (370 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au