Scooter
Community

THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie

Last post 11-08-2015 11:20 PM by Lizziecro. 369 replies.
Page 16 of 25 (370 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-09-2013 02:56 PM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie

if it gets written off if can't be reregistered any more.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 02-09-2013 07:33 PM In reply to

• lvardz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-13-2012
    • South Coast NSW
    • Posts 127

That's awful Lizzie. I hope for your sake they can just fix the scooter. I know you're pretty attached to her. Is that why you didn't ride down the coast last week? The damage is only aesthetic, isn't it? She still travels okay, doesn't she?

Lyn, riding a 2010 Vespa GTS 250 in Dragon Red, whom I affectionately call Julia.
  • 02-09-2013 09:59 PM In reply to

Many reasons Lyn. Kids mainly. Fingers crossed.

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 02-09-2013 10:36 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

Lizzie , if its insured for $5000 then the insurance should go to around $4000 repair bill , the main thing the assesor will look at is its salvage value & whether it has substantial frame damage , your damage is only superficial & i can say without a word of a lie that its salvage value will be no more than $750 , if its written off & insured with NRMA then they will pay you $5000 less your excess of say $600 ,then they will take off another amount for its remaining rego & green slip which you then claim back when the plates are handed in at RMS , if he tries the write off route , dig your heels in & tell him you want it repaired , usually if you are insist then they will go your way , the reason i am sure on the salvage value is because i have been keeping an eye on wrecked GTS 's for a while now  , i reckon it wouldn't be bad to have some spare parts just in case , if you go to www.manheim.com.au  you can actually see when the next salvage bike auction is on (usually every 2weeks for bikes) & you can watch the auction live on your computer ,i buy a lot of my wrecking yard stock from Fowles,Pickles etc & its all done by computer & then i truck them to Nowra .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-09-2013 10:47 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

Hey , out of curiosity , who is the assesor , is he from W/gong claims dept , i possibly have dealings with him as i also buy a lot of cars from NRMA via tender though the Illawarra NRMA office , maybe keep it in mind if they need a bit of arm twisting .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-11-2013 01:51 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone.... the verdict is in.

Peter, the insurance assessor, was told Maggie would only be worth $250 (!!!!) as salvage, so therefore NRMA will be picking up the tab for her repairs. She'll be off to Dutchy's at Bellambi as soon as possible.

Smile So glad she didn't get wastefully thrown away.

• 02-12-2013 12:10 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

So glad to hear that it has been sorted , i think his $250 was a bit light on but as it has well in your favour then who cares heh Yes.

• 02-13-2013 04:49 PM In reply to

Very pleased that repairs are on the horizon.  I'm anxiously awaiting for my scoot to return from the repair shop too.

2009 Vespa GTS 300ie
  • 02-14-2013 06:55 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

bradr:
    the reason i am sure on the salvage value is because i have been keeping an eye on wrecked GTS 's for a while now  , i reckon it wouldn't be bad to have some spare parts just in case
    This is a great idea Brad. Ive been thinking for a while now about scoring a quasar engine from a wreck to put in the shed just in case, not that the phatarsedVespa is showing any signs of conking out. I was also wondering if a 300 engine would bolt into a 250. What sort of price would get me a lowish k quasar?

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 02-14-2013 08:48 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

petegailey:
    I was also wondering if a 300 engine would bolt into a 250. What sort of price would get me a lowish k quasar?

The cheapest way to get a 300 motor is to buy a write off from a salvage auction , i reckon $600 or so on a good auction day , can't see why a 300 wouldn't go straight into a GTS , but how are you going to wear out the 250 motor ? , i'm thinking that if i had a spare motor then i'd start on my mobilty scooter just in case dementia sets in early , that way i've got my old age transport sorted lol Big Smile , heh i'm actually off on my annual 4 day ride with the local boys tommorow , going north up round Walcha etc , doing Waterfall Way etc , will report upon my return

• 02-14-2013 10:47 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

bradr:
    can't see why a 300 wouldn't go straight into a GTS , but how are you going to wear out the 250 motor ?
    ROFL! and I bet you're right about that. Ive never heard of anyone wearing one out.

bradr:
    i'm actually off on my annual 4 day ride with the local boys tommorow , going north up round Walcha etc , doing Waterfall Way etc ,
    Yum! fantastic part of the world. Are you staying at the Royal Cafe in Walcha? Hope you get to ride the Oxley, best ride in NSW. Not that there's anything with The Waterfall Way. Have fun with it.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 02-17-2013 02:00 PM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - An Odo Conundrum

Since my tumble from Maggs I have hardly been on the scooter. I'll either get over it or I won't - whatever. I'm working on it. Insurance has been approved so she'll be off for repairs soon. 

I took her out for a ride today and the steering didn't feel quite right. Can't really explain it better, it just didn't seem right. When I took the tumble, the steering did end up out of alignment (ie the handle bars didn't line up with the front wheel). The repair guy gave her a good slap and it went back straight again, but he did say the nut would be loose so tightening it is on the 'repair' list. Maybe that's what I'm feeling?? Some play in it??

Oddly though, I've discovered something else perplexing. I always write down the odo readings when I ride, at end of the ride. It's written in the garage where Maggie is stabled, and all the readings since about October are there in big bold numbers, on the fridge. Today I went to write the latest odo reading down, only to discover that there have been huge discrepancies in the numbers since the tumble. I hadn't noticed it before. The readings go from 33,000 + then jump to 35,000+, then back to 33,000 +. Now I initially thought I may have just written down the wrong digit, 5 instead of 3, but even so, the other numbers just don't add up properly to be representative of what rides I've done. They add, then subtract.

So. What's that all about? Can I blame it on the tumble, seeing as there was no problem prior to that? What else could cause it?

Bamboozled! Tongue Tied

• 02-17-2013 02:13 PM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - A Speedo Conundrum

Bamboozled! Tongue Tied

Hmm LOL me too answers on a postcard please Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-17-2013 07:58 PM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - A Speedo Conundrum

Nooooooooo!!!!!!

It can't end like this, I just read all sixteen pages of this epic and loved every bit of it. It's sort of like a Ripleys Believe it Or Not or a Boys Own Adventure ..... err ... but for girls, you unnerstan.

Lizzie it sounded like you were having the time of your life whilst out on the road and I totally understand that because I did the long run over the Chritmas break and thoroughly enjoyed that.

I was saddened just as you no doubt were to see Maggie having a wee rest in the middle of the road. Worse was the fact that you might have lost Maggie to some heartless insurance company and becoming an organ donor. I'm glad Maggie is being repaired to see the road another day, hopefully with you astride and holding the reigns.

Harry

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 02-17-2013 08:04 PM In reply to

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE CUNNINGHAM, Vespa GTS 250ie - An Odo Conundrum

Ha ha ha... laughing a lot! You need to get a life even more than me, Loosey! Ha ha ha. Maybe we can make it into a micro series for you? Too funny.

No ideas re the odo??

Page 16 of 25 (370 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au