Scooter
Community

Scooter Steering Problem

Last post 06-22-2018 12:15 PM by INMA. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2012 08:33 AM

Scooter Steering Problem

After over 50 years of large capacity motorcycles, I have just upgraded to a scooter - a 2012 Vespa GTS 250ie. Geeked My issue is that I have the sense that it wants to drift the the right. I asked my dealer about it and was told "they all do that" and it is because of the single sided suspension on the front. I remained sceptical. Investigating further, it does seem that the steering handle is about 5 degrees to the right. This would explain the problem as in attempting to keep the bars straight, I would effectively be counter-steering causing the right drift. I got hold of some diagrams from a Vespa manual to see how it is put together, wanting to see whether I could adjust them, but the diagrams lack the necessary detail.

Before I start pulling off the plastic bits, does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Any and all advice would be appreciated, even the less than helpful.Embarrassed

I refuse to grow old until I grow up.
    Growing up is for people with nothing better to do with their lives.
  • 12-03-2012 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: Scooter Steering Problem

i have never ridden a big bike but i have had 3 scoots now. one of them bought as a wreck. the first bug did have a bit of a drift but it becomes a wobble at speed. the forks were bent. we replaced them. end of problem.  my second bug had no steering hiccups at all. my honda pretty much steers itself dunno why it needs me.  definatley no drift. none of them seemed off balance.  i think the dealer is taking you for a putz.   mustnt one wheel follow the other exactly to be safe? i dont know what single sided suspension means . im sure my partner does, but if a bike is off balance it has to be dangerous right?   if you have just bought it, then maybe you have a roadworthy issue.  maybe mention that to the dealer.   sorry if i have not been helpful . im new at this too. i am going to go down and have a look and see if i can see the single sided suspension.

started with a bug jive wreck. moved on to a candy apple red sweet little bug and finnished with a black honda pcx 125. his name is sparkles.
  • 12-23-2012 04:25 PM In reply to

Managed to sort the problem. The engineering is a little less than I would have hoped. The steering handle is attached to the vertical tube by getting it in the proper position and torquing up the bolt - a simple friction device. If the bolt is not torqued sufficiently, the handlebar can rotate around the steering tube, in my case, apparently a fault from the factory. Reasonably easy fix, and now the scoot tracks properly.

• 12-23-2012 05:26 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

2wheels:

i have never ridden a big bike but i have had 3 scoots now. one of them bought as a wreck. the first bug did have a bit of a drift but it becomes a wobble at speed. the forks were bent. we replaced them. end of problem.  my second bug had no steering hiccups at all. my honda pretty much steers itself dunno why it needs me.  definatley no drift. none of them seemed off balance.  i think the dealer is taking you for a putz.   mustnt one wheel follow the other exactly to be safe? i dont know what single sided suspension means . im sure my partner does, but if a bike is off balance it has to be dangerous right?   if you have just bought it, then maybe you have a roadworthy issue.  maybe mention that to the dealer.   sorry if i have not been helpful . im new at this too. i am going to go down and have a look and see if i can see the single sided suspension.

Sleep

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 12-24-2012 09:52 AM In reply to

Vampire the dealer may have inadvertantly been referring to the PX or earlier vespas which had the engine as the swingarm and sort of hung off the side of the scoot leading to a wobble, not tracking straight sensation.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 12-24-2012 11:04 AM In reply to

hank:

2wheels:

Sleep

LOL think someone was on the Beer

• 12-24-2012 11:27 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

I just think the steering was out of alignment, which can happen out of the crate, it's not uncommon. In pre delivery if this is noticed the mechanic will normally give the bars a tug to bring it back into a straight position. Easy when the scooter is locked with the front wheel on a bike stand.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-24-2012 01:24 PM In reply to

Would have been nice had the mechanic noticed during pre-delivery: isn't that the purpose of that process? Geeked Still, I learned something about the beasty, and that is always a good thing. Have restored a number of motorcycles in the past, so am always open to learning. See http://www.peshatbooks.com/Because-someone-asked.html

• 12-30-2012 04:24 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

Maybe you learnt something about the dealer if they tried to 'fob you off' with that reasoning too...

Glad it's sorted - nice scoot

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 06-20-2018 07:27 PM In reply to

• Ziyaad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-18-2018
    • Posts 1

I recently experienced my handlebars giving similar problems when taking a turn. It feels as if it wants to turn more than what you direct the bars to. I lately discovered that it was my tyre pressure that had run down. After i put in 1 bar of pressure the problem was resolved. 

• 06-21-2018 08:56 PM In reply to

Vampire...Firstly - I don't think the problem is a "Vespa exclusive" problem.

I came across this problem when I owned an Aprilia 200i.

There was a noticeable problem that at first was difficult to rationalize; the most common suggestion was that it was because of road cambers.

As is often the case, the solution presented itself by accident:- The front tyre had worn badly on one side so I proceeded to remove the wheel / and disc brake assembly. When it came to re-assembly the main rod would not line up properly. This signified that the two forks were not in alignment. Rather than remove the whole front of the bike, I fitted washers / spacers to equalize the alignment via the disc brake assembly. The main rod went through smoothly, the forks were now in alignment and the bike handled in a completely new / good way. Obviously the fork assembly was forced into position on the assembly line by an employee keen to get the job done.

This method may not work on your bike but, everything is worth considering. I hope this helps. Cheers

• 06-22-2018 12:15 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 844

It does sound like something is bent.

Go to the dealers and check the alignment of other scooters.

It sounds like a warranty claim, put it in writting to the dealer.

If its secondhand, it could be accident damage.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au