Scooter
Community

New variator for Vespas

Last post 12-07-2012 01:46 AM by RAYJASPER. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2012 10:14 AM

New variator for Vespas

We have had Malossi and Polini variators around for years, and Dr.Pulley sliders as a much cheaper alternative. Now Dr.Pulley has come out with a variator specially designed for their sliders. This is what they posted on Modernvespa forum -

V201503 is Dr.Pulley's new variator specially for Piaggio 4t 125 to 300 scooters.
    This new V201503 can be installed with SR2015 or SR2115 for 125/200 and 250/300 differently.
    Here's one video about V201503,HiT211701 in LX150.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEH1RxOXoWs&feature=plcp 
    Please contact Dr.Pulley's agents for detailed.

It seems the sliders can move further in to the centre, giving a lower "low gear" for take-off, while also adding a bit at the other end for top speed.

Here is a link to the article and discussion.
     http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic107936

I have great expectations for this variator, and in conjunction with their HiT clutch should do everything you want for your transmission.

Mike 

• 12-03-2012 08:29 PM In reply to

Re: New variator for Vespas

Mike Holland:

I have great expectations for this variator, and in conjunction with their HiT clutch should do everything you want for your transmission.

Mike 

It will be very hard to beat Polini 6 roller with the grease trap.....Big Smile

Yuminashi Pcx 164cc can of whopass!
    Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 12-03-2012 09:38 PM In reply to

I have the Polini six roller now, and I know I could get a bit more by fitting sliders to it, but then I have to fiddle with slider weights and fuzzy washers again to tune it correctly. Sliders in a Piaggio variator give you almost as much as the Polini at a fraction of the cost, so I expect a variator designed for the sliders would do even better.

My Polini variator rollers rattle a bit at idling and take-off. I know sliders would eliminate that. And I believe the Polini nine-roller is smoother than the six-roller. So there are many options for improvement over ther six-roller, good as it is.

Mike 

• 12-04-2012 05:35 PM In reply to

it would be intersting to try. i wonder if it keeps the belt from hitting the oil sump gasket like it does with dr pulley sliders in a malossi variator.

argentum melle
  • 12-04-2012 06:14 PM In reply to

I'm curious about how it copes in the other direction. It has a lower "low gear", meaning the belt rides lower in the variator at idling and take-off. This in turn means it rides higher in the driven pulley, and the belt could rub on a stancion just behind the clutch/pulley, resulting in a loud squeal. Done that in my expeiments with Polini variator, sliders and fuzzy washers.

The Malossi belt is higher, and more prone to these problems. I stick to standard Piaggio belts.

Mike 

• 12-05-2012 05:01 PM In reply to

the malossi is crap

i have the malossi, with the lighter weights it revved like crazy, the heavier weights and its not much different to stock i believe

and mine rattles like a tractor, i hope its the crap malossi variator

what about J Costa, is that sorted for the 300 yet?

they any good?

ive just put on a 140 rear tyre and have lost a tiny bit off the line, wheelies arent easy like before, maybe this dr pulley seems the go

local suppliers? or online link?

• 12-07-2012 01:46 AM In reply to

is there anyone interested in a group order for this V201503 ?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au