Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Peugeot 400 ???

Last post 03-05-2013 05:17 PM by 68 404. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2012 10:22 PM

Peugeot 400 ???

Hello all,

I was walking thru North Sydney of all unlikeley places when I spotted a GREAT looking scoot...

1/4 Scarabeo, 1/2 Beverley and 1/4 Burgman. i checked it out and it was a PEUGOT 400 GEOPOPLIS.

I don't really like Maxi Scoots but this, as my description shows, was a good blend of big -wheeled scoot design. I was impressed and the Lion Rampant Peugot logo on the front looked good too.

thing seemed to be on full rego+NSW plates.

Anyone else seen them or know about them? Man, i'd love to have one !

Aprilia 200ie
  • 12-08-2012 10:54 PM In reply to

Re: Peugot 400 ???

I think they were brought to Australia only very briefly and sold in very limited numbers. If you found one it would have to be second hand and you'd have something pretty unique perhaps, but also something with zero support when something goes wrong.  There are better, newer and more practical options available in this class... especially if we get Bev 350 next year.

• 12-08-2012 10:55 PM In reply to

Re: Peugeot 400 ???

Yep Peugeot scooters where sold for a while in Australia until the importer went to the wall & no one else would take them on Sad

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-2208-stoney-creek-powersports.aspx

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-08-2012 11:12 PM In reply to

• jrevis
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2009
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 387

ferrix:

I think they were brought to Australia only very briefly and sold in very limited numbers. If you found one it would have to be second hand and you'd have something pretty unique perhaps, but also something with zero support when something goes wrong.  There are better, newer and more practical options available in this class... especially if we get Bev 350 next year.

There was a 250 400 and 500cc.

The 250 was piaggio quasar engine and the other two were the piaggio master engine.So mechanical parts should be ok to buy but everything else would be tricky to find.

I thought they were really smart looking,especially the 400/500 and you would probably pick it up cheap secondhand if you can find one?

PX200
    BMW g650gs
  • 12-09-2012 10:15 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

You will still find a few of these around. There were a few that went to auction when GE fire saled all the stock from Stoney Creek. They were a good scooter and on par with other European brands. The thing to watch out for is resale. They do not hold value and are very hard to sell when the time comes. So you need to purchase low. And you need to have good parts supply/back-up options. (overseas parts sites) . Because it all runs Piaggio engines, the basic servicing needs should be comparable to other Piaggio product.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-09-2012 12:56 PM In reply to

I own a Satelis 500.

The trick is to look for Master engine bits and pieces rather than Peugeot specific ones. Instead of blank looks the disposables come right from the shelf. Filters, belts, plugs etc are interchangable with the other Master engined machines (Aprillias, Piaggios, Scarabeos etc). The 400s and 500s are pretty much the same motor in terms of disposables. 

I wanted a genuine top box for mine so I sourced it via Britain. No problems. 

I like French engineering and wanted a Peugeot. I didn't buy mine new so someone else suffered the depreciation. I have a fast, modern maxi scooter that is rare, attracts attention, and still pulls 160km/h if need be. Parts are all over the internet should the need arise.

I have ridden mine from Melbourne to Sydney, it's been on weekend trips to and from Canberra, and it carries me to work every day. I do my own servicing (and tyre changes) and it's a perfect little (big??) jigger.

• 12-09-2012 01:03 PM In reply to

Why? Have you ever ridden one???? If not, why pass negative judgement? Hmm

The Satelis was a clean sheet design with the most modern incarnation of the Master engine when they came out in 2006. If you think a Bev 350 will outperform a 500 Satelis, you're dreaming, especially when both engines are sourced from the same Pisa factory.

The depreciated price makes them incredibly good buying.

I have no issues with criticism of the scooters but unfounded sweeping statements (all Chinese stuff is junk, all British cars leak etc) don't help anything. Sure, there's a lack of support in the absence of a distributor but think of how many motorcycle marques there are (Matchless, Ariel, Douglas, Bridgestone, MZ, DKW) that still thrive here due to thinking outside the square owners.

Oh, and it's Peugeot, not Peugot...

• 12-09-2012 04:21 PM In reply to

68 404:
    Why? Have you ever ridden one???? If not, why pass negative judgement?

As you say yourself, there is no support due to the fact there is no longer Australian distributor. True, the engines are from Piaggio. What about electrics when they go wonky? What about the panels should you have a prang or drop it? Maybe you can source them yourself over the net but that doesn't change the fact that there is no local distributor. What if someone doesn't want to, or isn't able to do their own servicing and repairs - will the shops still want to work on it? I really don't know the answer, but I know I would want to find out before rushing out to buy one. Does all of that make it impossible to keep one running? No, but  it is a factor and I see nothing negative about looking at it. 

In my view any machine that is currently still sold and supported here is a better buy than one that isn't, especially when it comes to scooters which unlike the Ariels or Matchless (I hope) we tend to buy with expectation of getting an everyday practical transport. So no, I have never ridden a Peugeot, but their performance and technical merits are not what I was talking about.

Finally, I don't know if BV350 would match Satelis 500 but he original question was about a 400cc model, and I believe the design brief for BV350 was to provide performance comparable to 400cc engines, yet using a smaller displacement. There is also Burgman 400 and (very soon) SYM 400 that should be quite comparable, both without drawbacks mentioned above.

All in all, I think I was rather fair in my assessment.

• 12-09-2012 07:05 PM In reply to

I wanted to comment about one of the posts in this thread, but thought, if I have nothing nice to say, best say nothing....just sayin'...Stick out tongue 

....lets have another drink...
  • 12-09-2012 07:48 PM In reply to

Thanks All !

Wow, I knew that I joined this board for a reason...Thanks to all for the informative info re this scoot....now I know.

A few points....

1.To the guy who  replied who  owns one, U weren't in North Sydney yesterday, were you ?n Oh, and those specs and your experiences esp re KPH sound good to me !

2. I know what U all mean abt distributors and being unable to get parts when U want them.. Before the Scab I had an 7 yo TGB 125 scoot. Not a rare machine + , I believe good customer supplies. I couldn't get a new speedo cable for love nor money. True, that's only one item on one scoot, but I now know the frustration !

3. FYI, sometime soon -this year I hope- I will trade up from the Scab 200 to something bigger. Folks here have given me good info abt Honda SH 300i and, of course, should it arrive the new Bev is a *@%#**%#must-see but now I 'll factor in this 300 Geopolis. IF it is Piaggio engined and priced appropriately

Aprilia 200ie
  • 12-10-2012 08:00 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Re: Thanks All !

martindemo:
    Bev is a *@%#**%#must-see but now I 'll factor in this 300 Geopolis.

Bev 350 is coming next year. Forget anything Pug, it's not going to happen.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-10-2012 09:44 AM In reply to

68 404:
    If you think a Bev 350 will outperform a 500 Satelis, you're dreaming, especially when both engines are sourced from the same Pisa factory.

Hmmm.  This does rather underestimate how much of an improvement the new 330cc Piaggio motor is.  It pretty much hits the 100ph/litre preformance line, compared to the Master at about 80hp/l or Quasar at 86hp/l.

This means the 500 (492cc) Master has +50% capacity, yet only +16% power and +20% torque over the new 330cc.  All reviews point to the 330's smoothness and usable power, vs the 500 Master's somewhat agricultural power delivery (I've had a few BMW 652cc singles, I like the characteristics .. but once you're over about 300cc or so, it's hard to mask the lumpiness of a single).

Oh, and the factory is in Pontadera.  Almost Pisa, but not quite.  Since we're splitting hairs.

But don't get me wrong - the Satelis turns my head.  Best looking maxi to my eye.

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 12-10-2012 02:13 PM In reply to

Hello allen, I meant a 2nd hand Geo...at a very cheap price !

Aprilia 200ie
  • 12-10-2012 06:16 PM In reply to

The Geopolis are a slightly tweaked, rebadged Piaggio Beverly

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 12-11-2012 11:29 AM In reply to

i used to own a satelis 500. great machine, very comfortable to ride. the engine just gave it character.

i got spare parts from overseas when the importer went bust.

argentum melle
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au