Scooter
Community

Old Bloke Riding his First Scooter

Last post 01-10-2013 07:14 PM by joshzingzing. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2013 01:48 PM

• didediedide
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2013
    • Cameron Park Newcastle
    • Posts 42

Old Bloke Riding his First Scooter

G"day Every one,

After sitting on the side lines checking out the posts for a couple of weeks  I joined the forum this morning . I am 69 years young and have riden motor cycles for over 50 years ( starting off in 1960  on a Excellsior with a big powerful 125 villiers two stroke engine ) . It would almost get up to 40 mph if you had a rip roaring Southerly up your bum and progressing thru various bikes thru the years. The last bike ( I still own it ) is a 250 Yamaha I've had it for many years, I opted for a 250 yamaha as I made a bracket up to transport the bike on the back of an 80 series Landcruiser and could take the bike and caravan away on holidays, any bigger than a 250 would have been too heavy.

I recently decided that the stoage in a scooter the weather protection and an eletric start would be a good thing so I purchased a Piaggio 250i xevo so far alls been good.  It felt a little funny at first not having a tank between your legs and wanting to grab the rear brake instead ot the clutch. May be a newer one might be on the cards latter. If I see Geoff on his new sym 400 riding around i will stop an say gidday

Regards Paul

• 01-07-2013 03:44 PM In reply to

Re: Old Bloke Riding his First Scooter

Welcome to the forum Yes

• 01-07-2013 05:57 PM In reply to

Welcome mate - I'm sure you'll have a lot to contribute to the young whippersnappers on the forum!

They're a good bunch, and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

Scooter Dave
    Sym MaxSYM 400i ABS in White
    Darwin
    NT

• 01-07-2013 08:49 PM In reply to

Congratulations Paul on your first scooter.

You will find it will keep you young.

check out:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1649148/riding_motorcycles_can_keep_you_young/

The trick is to add the numbers of your age to calculate your mental age.

Modern scooters are awesome, the technology behind them is amazing. Enjoy your ride.

Regards,

Reiki Master

WHITE MAXSYM 400i ABS
    Previous scooter SYM HD 200

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another."

William James
  • 01-07-2013 08:55 PM In reply to

G'day Paul and as others have already said, welcome

You are not alone in here, for I too am an old fart on my first scooter, a Gilera Fuoco 500, this after having sold both my BMW's a 2001 K1200RS and a  2004 R1150RT.

Once again, welcome, stay awhile and enjoy the ride.

Harry

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 01-07-2013 09:13 PM In reply to

• Geoff C
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2012
    • Newcastle NSW
    • Posts 71

Hey Paul, Congratulations on the new scooter as well and welcome to the forum. We had a bit in common , I am 58 have had  bikes all my life and the first one was a honda 350 wont say when lol I also had a villiers when I was 15 and an old AJS which was heavey as hell lol, If I ever dropped it I dont know how I would have picked it up but it was a great old bike and used it as a bush basher for ages before I got my licence and bought the 350 Honda. From there on I lost count of the bikes I have owned but the last one before having a few years away from bikes was a BMW RT1100 RT and loved it. The BMW was the only European bike I owned and I think it was the best. If anyone told me I would end up with a scooter I would have laughed. Well the SYM Max400i is a great scooter I have just clocked around 250klms after a week and a bit and love it. Just bought a Shad top box for it as I think it is a worth while purchase. Last of all like you I still look for the rear foot brake and to change down gearsConfused I will get used to that hehe. I am raving on so welcome and please enjoy your new toy, I know I am.

Cheers

Geoff  

White SYM Max 400i ABS Newcastle NSW with a Shad SH48 top box.
    URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/geoffreyc/maxsym-400i][/URL]
  • 01-08-2013 02:58 PM In reply to

• oldfella
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-22-2012
    • W Australia
    • Posts 4

Seems a standard progression to me.I'm 65 and have had many bikes for many years (and scooters in the 60's)  still got my BMW R1200GS in storage at my daughters, but tend to ride the new Vespa GTS 300i now.

Just so easy to park and nip here and there on it, and the fuel usage is fantastic. Even got the wife on the back ! she does pillion on the BM but hates the climb on and off !

Currently travelling in my 5th wheeler and have the Vespa with me now. Its great .

Would break my heart to get rid of the BM though.

• 01-08-2013 04:31 PM In reply to

Always happy to have another old fart join us on one of our rides ,if you feel so inclined

See our details on Central Coast Scooter Club .com.au 

riding for fun
  • 01-08-2013 07:00 PM In reply to

did he die did he

unusual name , ha

dont get struck by a truck
  • 01-08-2013 07:12 PM In reply to

• didediedide
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2013
    • Cameron Park Newcastle
    • Posts 42

G'Day joshzingzing, I am a member of Merewether Surf Club and every morning I have a swim with a bunch of old farts and every so often someone will say did you hear Jack died and sure as the sun comes up each morning, someone will say, did he die did he. So we became the didediedide club.      Regards Paul

• 01-08-2013 07:34 PM In reply to

• didediedide
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2013
    • Cameron Park Newcastle
    • Posts 42

G'Day Rod, I just had a look at your web site and I will keep a check on it. I noticed that during the year your club is planning a run to Nelson Bay so I may be able to join up with you on that one or something else that is coming up my way.

I have had a look around on the internet for a scooter group in the Newcastle area similar to yours that may do mid week rides or even join with your group for a ride but so far no luck. Your club seems to be an ideal group to be a part of, good fun with like minded people.

It appears one may have started up in Newcastle some time ago but it looks like it no longer exists.

Regards Paul

• 01-10-2013 07:14 PM In reply to

oh ok, swimming is good eh

dont get struck by a truck
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au