Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Hi-Vis

Last post 01-14-2013 07:27 PM by Orbital. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-11-2013 02:44 PM

Hi-Vis

An interesting discussion on whether Hi-Vis does make you more visible on 2 wheels

The Guardian

2009 Vespa GTS 300ie
  • 01-11-2013 06:07 PM In reply to

Re: Hi-Vis

Bike blog - polite jacket

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 01-11-2013 09:22 PM In reply to

ill just keep the hands an foot ready

dont get struck by a truck
  • 01-11-2013 10:10 PM In reply to

Just how effective will Hi-Vis be when everyone wears it?

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 01-12-2013 12:55 AM In reply to

• MickJ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2012
    • Freo, WA
    • Posts 68

Will they ban wearing Back-Packs, or will they have to be Hi-Vis as well???

Vespa GTS

Born to be Mild
  • 01-12-2013 10:23 AM In reply to

• Orbital
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2011
    • Melb, Vic
    • Posts 13

For motorbikes and Scooters, it would benefit all,  both riders and other motorists if a Hi - Vis vest was worn at all times by riders. full neon suits are a bit outrageous but a vest in bright color and reflective taping does stand out.

Get a Hi-Vis backpack or backpack cover to help stand out in traffic.

Sym Orbit 125
  • 01-12-2013 11:39 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 812

I have a yellow jacket.

It does not make much difference when the drivers don't look and don't use their indicators.

There would be a lot less motorcycle accidents caused by cars if the police enforced proper use of indicators and cars maintaining their lanes.

The problem seems to be resolved by blaming the riders for not being visible enough, my yellow riding jacket means nothing when I have drivers who don't look and don't indicate cutting me off almost daily.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 01-13-2013 01:05 PM In reply to

• lvardz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-13-2012
    • South Coast NSW
    • Posts 127

I ride a bright red scooter. If that isn't visible enough, wearing a fluoro vest aint gonna help. I hope the dai doesn't come when the bureaucrats tell me I have to wear one of those ugli things; mai as well make us put one of those stupid tall orange flags on as well aka the old people scooters. I believe people who onli ever drive cars are programmed to look out for similar vehicles on the road, (of course the see trucks) but not programmed in their subconscious to see 2 wheelers.

(I can spell, but the letter on the keboard between T and U has gone out to lunch, it seems. He's not responding to mi demands).

Lyn, riding a 2010 Vespa GTS 250 in Dragon Red, whom I affectionately call Julia.
  • 01-13-2013 02:47 PM In reply to

This morning, I was on my bicycle in all flouros, flashing light and yet a cager still wanted to cut across in front of me and enter the intersection. Hi viz works but when the brain doesn't engage as they do once they get into a car, then nothing short of having the strobing red and blue light will get their attention.

• 01-13-2013 05:38 PM In reply to

(Am still trying to come to grips with anyone calling themselves 'Smelly Tofu'!!! Chuckle).

I have, not only a bright yellow scooter, but also a bright yellow car, and am often 'not seen' in that! I have no idea why people cannot see a bright yellow car approaching, but they still do all that rubbish they do ordinarily, when a less-obvious car might approach. I've had so many near accidents, and simply drive away shaking my head and muttering... "It's a bright yellow car!!! How could you not SEE this?"

Maybe it's less to do with what they physically can/cannot see, and more to do with the general lack of common courtesy on the roads (and in society at large). We are a world of instant gratification, and often great selfishness. Being polite and courteous, putting others first over our own needs, is very often not a priority these days. How often do people wave a 'thanks mate' at you when you let them into your lane? Used to, rarely now. Or who, these days flashes their lights to warn of 'police ahead', or remind an oncoming driver to put on their headlights? Not very often, but it used to be the norm.

We need to learn and exhibit care for our fellow man - that's it. Visibility is important, obviously, but taking care with other people's lives is paramount.

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 01-13-2013 06:35 PM In reply to

Wink Its all a question of mind over matter . I don't mind and you don't matter Stick out tongue 

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 01-13-2013 10:43 PM In reply to

Sadly, this is the truth. Their time is more important than mine and when we're on the roads, Australians are in general a pretty selfish bunch of people when we're in a car. We barely give way to people wanting to cut in, we don't thank them when we do, we don't even make room when we know full well there's a car parked on the left and all you could do is move over to the right lane so they can move over to the centre lane.

What I really don't get is people rush to get to their destination but when they park their vehicle, they dawdle along to get out of their cars. If they did everything else as quickly as they drive, our productivity at work would be through the roof!

But on the same thought, we don't have ads or messages from the RMS to be courteous to other drivers. I guess because being uncourteous isn't against the law and you can't be fined for it (no $$ to State Govt Pty Ltd). What about the message on those overhead signs, "It's not a race, there's no need to rush" or "Your time is not important as the other drivers" or "Rush and crash or just get home safely? It's your choice".

• 01-14-2013 06:45 PM In reply to

• lvardz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-13-2012
    • South Coast NSW
    • Posts 127

So true Tofu.  Travel to some other countries, ones with way more conjestion on their roads then what we have, and you get blown away by how courteous they are to each other. Sure they blow their horns a lot, but it isn't in an aggressive manner, more a "hey, I'm coming through," or "you go, I'll wait" and they just get around without all the road rage we have. I've even heard a chap from England say they are much more polite to each other. All this aggro and some peoples attitudes that they are the owners of the road/lane is much more obvious when you're a two wheeler I think.

Lyn, riding a 2010 Vespa GTS 250 in Dragon Red, whom I affectionately call Julia.
  • 01-14-2013 07:27 PM In reply to

• Orbital
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2011
    • Melb, Vic
    • Posts 13

mmmm... maybe time to post a new topic on driver/rider courtesy?

Sym Orbit 125
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au