Scooter
Community

What's the right scooter for me? (currently considering Aprilia Sportcity Cube 300)

Last post 01-27-2013 08:28 PM by darrellf1. 46 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2013 02:57 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

Re: What's the right scooter for me? (currently considering Aprilia Sportcity Cube 300)

wow that's quite a reduction for the SH..well worth considering though i believe you will need a topbox for that - check out the storage on it....certainly don't rule it out.. and the Beo 300 storage is good...fits my shoei full face in it (just) but also have a 45ltr topcase for when i need more space.

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 01-23-2013 03:28 PM In reply to

Re: What's the right scooter for me? (currently considering Aprilia Sportcity Cube 300)

Yep been discontinued in Aus for a while now built in Italy . Good price just remember when time to sell will already be classed as 4 years old

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 01-23-2013 03:44 PM In reply to

Originally they all sold with matching colour top box so no reason one should sell one without, just play hard ball when negotiating and you will get one free..don't believe the dealer they're extra, they were given free by Honda for lack of storage space under seat.

For parts, they will be avalible for years to come by Honda,but you want need much, it's a Honda! 

Yuminashi Pcx 164cc can of whopass!
    Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 01-23-2013 10:07 PM In reply to

• iky
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2012
    • Sydney
    • Posts 53

You are paying $7000 for a bike that is already 4 years old - I can't understand that logic, when there are better options brand new - with models that have not been discontinued?

It is all about VESPA!
    Started with a Orange Vespa S125ie.
    Then a Yellow Vespa GTS 250ie.
    Followed by a Arancio Competizione (Orange) Vespa GTS 300 i.e SS Special Edition.
    Now looking for a GTV 300 ...
  • 01-23-2013 11:19 PM In reply to

iky:

You are paying $7000 for a bike that is already 4 years old - I can't understand that logic, when there are better options brand new - with models that have not been discontinued?

Why not? $7000 for a 0km 4 year old plate that was selling for nearly $10000 not long ago seems a fair price. When im looking at a scooter im looking at its condition and how many km's had it done. This case Its a Honda, 0k's and $3000 saving on a brand new machine..a steal! 

Hasnt been mentioned its  No.1 top scooter in Italy?! Why is that? Why is it on top,ahead of scarabeo's,sport city's and vespas,kymco's,sym's? I dont know but would like someone to shed some light though..

Also it hasnt been discontinued as they are still being produced overseas but rather not for sale in Aus anymore. Parts avability will be there for many,many years to come from Honda dealerships. 

Yuminashi Pcx 164cc can of whopass!
    Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 01-24-2013 07:01 PM In reply to

• iky
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2012
    • Sydney
    • Posts 53

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:JA;}

It's just my opinion.

James listed four criterions - and I think it fails in all four areas:

- Do you think this scooter would be up to the job (I'd like to keep it for 4 years, so looking to get around 50,000km out of it) - if not, what would you suggest?

Yes it can do the job – but with a plate date of 2009, he would be looking at resale date of 2016/7 with 50,000km.  Resale potential will be low on a model that isn’t available to Australia.  I think the average buyer won’t be interested and will be shy to part with money for a scooter that by this stage hasnt been available here for years...

- What's your experience with reliability of this scooter?

If a model is no longer available to a country, then I think that there is a reason for this.  To me, it means that we either don’t have the market, or we get better options here?

- Price in Melbourne is currently around $7,300 (I *think* it is on-the-road) - can anyone point me in the direction of a better deal?

The deal is better, but as I said earlier, he could get a 2012 plated Vespa GTS250ie for this price(aswell as all the other scooters / bikes people have listed).

- How often does it need servicing / what do services cost?

Local issues, sourcing local parts will become problematic as the years progress with this scooter.  Yes the dealer can import this and that, but who wants to sit around waiting for something to get shipped in every time something needs to be serviced.  He is planning on doing 50,000kms – servicing will be necessary.

I am the first to acknowledge my bias – but I wouldn’t consider this bike a “steal”.

At the end of the day James – I think you will find the scooter that works best for you.  I think spending a few extra dollars today will be worth it in the years to come

It is all about VESPA!
    Started with a Orange Vespa S125ie.
    Then a Yellow Vespa GTS 250ie.
    Followed by a Arancio Competizione (Orange) Vespa GTS 300 i.e SS Special Edition.
    Now looking for a GTV 300 ...
  • 01-24-2013 09:12 PM In reply to

iky:

It's just my opinion.

James listed four criterions - and I think it fails in all four areas:

- Do you think this scooter would be up to the job (I'd like to keep it for 4 years, so looking to get around 50,000km out of it) - if not, what would you suggest?

Yes it can do the job – but with a plate date of 2009, he would be looking at resale date of 2016/7 with 50,000km.  Resale potential will be low on a model that isn’t available to Australia.  I think the average buyer won’t be interested and will be shy to part with money for a scooter that by this stage hasnt been available here for years...

- What's your experience with reliability of this scooter?

If a model is no longer available to a country, then I think that there is a reason for this.  To me, it means that we either don’t have the market, or we get better options here?

- Price in Melbourne is currently around $7,300 (I *think* it is on-the-road) - can anyone point me in the direction of a better deal?

The deal is better, but as I said earlier, he could get a 2012 plated Vespa GTS250ie for this price(aswell as all the other scooters / bikes people have listed).

- How often does it need servicing / what do services cost?

Local issues, sourcing local parts will become problematic as the years progress with this scooter.  Yes the dealer can import this and that, but who wants to sit around waiting for something to get shipped in every time something needs to be serviced.  He is planning on doing 50,000kms – servicing will be necessary.

I am the first to acknowledge my bias – but I wouldn’t consider this bike a “steal”.

At the end of the day James – I think you will find the scooter that works best for you.  I think spending a few extra dollars today will be worth it in the years to come

I can answer some of those questions as I'm on my second Honda SH300.

First let me say that a number of good options have been suggested here and James really needs to get his bum on a few scooters as it's obvious that there is more than one scooter that will do the job.

Firstly, resale was not one of James criteria. But on this point that would exclude many scooters including the TMax, Gilera, Piaggio MP3, etc. Models change; it's a fact of life. You have to assess the history of the importer in supporting superceded models. From this forum I gather some of the Italian brands don't fare so well.

There is a better deal - $6,990 ride away from a dealer in Melbourne.  Search Bikesales.

I've talked with the local Honda dealer and they stated that it could not compete on price. In my experience reliability is excellent. As an aside, the dealer is unhappy that Honda has instructed them to reduce the number of bikes on the floor and to stock more smaller capacity scooters as that's where the sales are.

Service interval is 6,00 kms, not as good as some of the Chinese bikes. I find the service costs reasonable but when I look at the hourly rate I get the feeling I chose the wrong profession.

So James, get out there testing. That's the fun part.

Sydney /Piaggio Beverly 350
  • 01-27-2013 01:55 AM In reply to

I would just wait for the BV 350... it's going to be awesome...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 01-27-2013 02:31 AM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Me too for Piaggio BV 350, if the purchase price is right amount, hope it is not too much   Smile

• 01-27-2013 02:58 AM In reply to

And me by all reports from UK Bev is a cracker Yes

• 01-27-2013 09:29 AM In reply to

pyrah:

And me by all reports from UK Bev is a cracker Yes

I doubt it wil sell for under 7,000 though... when it actually arrives - for which we have no firm date, or indeed official statement it is even happening. So far we are all getting excited on the basis of Allens' 'it might be in the pipeline'.

As for Honda discontinuing SH300 in Australia, it might have something to do with the arrival of the Integra at around that price point. You'd think the same holds true for Italy and other markets, but I have a suspicion that Honda massively overpriced this scooter in Australia, just because they thought they could - and they couldn't. Now we're seeing a bit of repositioning of Honda back to more realistic pricing levels.

• 01-27-2013 01:30 PM In reply to

In the UK SH300abs is 4700 pound the Bev 4040 pounds Integra not listed in T&G Devil So if Piaggio play fair could be under $7000 Big Smile

• 01-27-2013 01:57 PM In reply to

pyrah:

In the UK SH300abs is 4700 pound the Bev 4040 pounds Integra not listed in T&G Devil So if Piaggio play fair could be under $7000 Big Smile

As long as Downtown and MaxSYM are 8,000 on our market, you can be sure that Bev is not going to come at under 7,000.

• 01-27-2013 02:09 PM In reply to

Yep Downtown is cheaper as 3999 pounds Maxsym is dearer at 4999 pounds

Edit in my other post i quoted the price of Bev 300 the Bev 350 is 4390 pounds

Devil On a side note how come a Vespa PX150 is 3070 ($4655) pounds over there but 5990 dollars here

Vespa GTS300 4140 pound ($6277) but 7990 dollars here Tongue Tied

• 01-27-2013 02:34 PM In reply to

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your thoughts... I've found them most valuable.

On Friday I took the Honda SH300i for a ride and was very impressed.  I also discovered why someone early on had made the comment that they hoped I had long legs (which I do!)... the Honda is certainly quite high off the ground.

Consequently... I've now purchased the bike!

I'm now hoping that I don't need to seek your advice on new purchases for the next few years.

Thanks again!

James

Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au