Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

How do I fix this?

Last post 04-02-2013 03:35 PM by MangaGal. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-26-2013 01:05 PM

How do I fix this?

Ok, today, I had my first accident on my Beo. I'm not too heart sick about it because it could have been worse. 

Basically weaving through traffic, and incorrectly anticipated that the car would move forward. So about to go around the back of it, it decided to stop even though traffic was flowing slowly. I stopped in time, however, because I wasn't expecting him to stop, I started turning right and counterbalancing... well, had to stop when the scoot was leaning to the right. So off balance, tried to hang on and put it back up right. Eventually lost my battle and dropped the Beo, together I went with it, smacked onto the road, right hip is a bit sore. Used every muscles to pick up the 160kg Beo.

The most scratched part of the scoot is the red fairing covering the front tyre. Pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gohvci08haykx7i/Photo%2026-03-13%208%2037%2016%20AM.jpg 

There is damage on the fairing of the footrest, which I can easily sand back since it's black colour. The mirror is scratched up too, but since it's chrome, a bit of polish should do the trick. Surprising no scratches on the exhaust shield. 

So, now I'm wondering if I should buy some plastic fillings and try to get same colour colour spray. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.

PS: Oh...my muscles...sore. Tongue Tied

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Mister Meaner" Beverly 250
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 03-26-2013 03:11 PM In reply to

Re: How do I fix this?

"the red fairing covering the front tyre" .... Here in NSW  we call that the mudguard, front mudguard to be precise. Smile

The scratch doesn't look that bad so by all means put a bit of plastic filler in it and sand smooth, being very careful you sand only the immediate area surrounding the boo boo.

Some of the Spares and Accessory shops offer a custom pressure pack mixing service but I would think for something that small go and find your nearest Chemist Warehouse or even Big W and buy a bottle of nail varnish in a matching colour ... different brands have different shades, you should be able to get a close match. I would only go the paint route only when there are enough scratches and boo boos to make it worthwile.

Regarding your aching muscles ...... Hot Radox bath ...as hot as you can stand for as long as you can stand it.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 03-26-2013 04:01 PM In reply to

Loose Change:
    front mudguard to be precise

Noted. Wasn't sure what it was called. Thanks. 

Loose Change:
    by all means put a bit of plastic filler in it and sand smooth

Where will I find the plastic filler? Supercheap? 

Loose Change:
    find your nearest Chemist Warehouse or even Big W and buy a bottle of nail varnish in a matching colour

Sounds good to me.

Though I was able to find a bottle of touchup paint for my old red Sym VS125 from Supercheap. 

Loose Change:
    Regarding your aching muscles ...... Hot Radox bath

Yeeesss....needing it so badly. Old knee injury is aggrevated and now it hurts. Sad

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 03-26-2013 08:29 PM In reply to

Did the same thing on my Scarab 200 a few years ago....and I'm an experienced rider so don't feel too bad Big Smile Try using these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Holts-DupliColour-Touch-Up-Paint-Velocity-12-5ml.aspx?pid=131782#Cross one of the red shades is very close to the scarab red (I have used it on mine) dont fuss too much because you'll get it fixed up and probably do it again Wink

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 03-26-2013 08:51 PM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:

Did the same thing on my Scarab 200 a few years ago....and I'm an experienced rider so don't feel too bad Big Smile 

Thanks. I felt bad because I was soooooo determined I would get it back up right. I literately hung on to about 2 feet away from the ground and had to regrettably let go coz it was either the scoot or my back go. Smile 

yes that's the touch up paint I bought before for the SYM and it is the red one I bought. But...the new Beo red has a slight hot orange to it. It's almost like the colour of red hair. I will go to Supercheap to see if they've got the colour. If not, I will try nail varnish. But as I recall, nail polish do come off nails. Does this mean the nail polish will fade/come off the mudguard? 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 03-26-2013 09:02 PM In reply to

If you apply it in thin layers and let each dry before recoating you should be ok. If you cant find a Holt's then your local paint shop can make up a nailpolish kit, the colour is Aprilia Mood Red. Dont bother getting a spray can as you'll never match the colour. Geeked

2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
  • 03-26-2013 09:04 PM In reply to

MangaGal:

If not, I will try nail varnish. But as I recall, nail polish do come off nails. Does this mean the nail polish will fade/come off the mudguard?

Eventually yes, this is a stop gap measure at best and you will at some stage need to consider repainting the parts.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 03-26-2013 09:06 PM In reply to

Sorry to hear the Beo is a bit bruised!  It doesn't look too bad, though, and more importantly I'm glad you're not too badly hurt.  Hope you both recover quickly!

If you do find a matching paint colour, please share - I'm also on the scout to fix similar scratches on the same part.

Sofia - Scarabeo 300s (2013)
  • 03-26-2013 09:23 PM In reply to

katherineaw:

Sorry to hear the Beo is a bit bruised!  It doesn't look too bad, though, and more importantly I'm glad you're not too badly hurt.  Hope you both recover quickly!

If you do find a matching paint colour, please share - I'm also on the scout to fix similar scratches on the same part.

Yep, I'll definitely share. Was going to ask you about it since you talked about looking for touch up paint, obviously you haven't found it. Smile 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 03-26-2013 11:11 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

Looks like you already have plenty of good advice re repairs , just wanted to add , don't feel bad about it cause it happens to us all at least once , i dropped my 400 Honda using your method a while back , very easily done , just hope i don't do it again lol

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 03-27-2013 07:52 AM In reply to

MangaGal:

Yep, I'll definitely share. Was going to ask you about it since you talked about looking for touch up paint, obviously you haven't found it. Smile 

I haven't gone looking.  I made the decision that it was better that the scratches on my beo were my housemate's fault, as then any that I put on it would be far less painful.  As a philosophy, it's working out well for me - I had to choose between my scoot and my back a few weeks ago and made the same decision you did.  The scratches were all in the same spot as where my housemate had dropped it, so aside from being shaky, I was far less distressed than I probably would have been otherwise! 

Did you scratch that matte-metallic bit, or just the mudguard?

Sofia - Scarabeo 300s (2013)
  • 03-27-2013 12:11 PM In reply to

katherineaw:
    Did you scratch that matte-metallic bit, or just the mudguard?

No, there's no scratches on the matte panel, surprisingly. I'm quite happy that there is only scratches on mudguard, footrest panel and back of mirror. I suppose my hanging on till the very last moment has paid off as the scoot obviously dropped on the ground instead of smashed on the ground. As I said, could have been worse like the scoot falls onto the car then I'll have to pay for the damage. 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 03-27-2013 12:15 PM In reply to

bradr:

Looks like you already have plenty of good advice re repairs , just wanted to add , don't feel bad about it cause it happens to us all at least once , i dropped my 400 Honda using your method a while back , very easily done , just hope i don't do it again lol

Thanks bradr. I learned my lesson for sure. I wouldn't go around hastily. I guess I was impatient yesterday morning, didn't wait for the car to move a bit further forward before weaving around it. 

"Akane" SYM VS125
    "Neon" Scarabeo 300ie
  • 04-01-2013 10:04 PM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:

Dont bother getting a spray can as you'll never match the colour. Geeked

Yes you can.  ( No pun intended )

Either by code or colour matching, paint suppliers can match the colour and can it.

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 04-01-2013 11:50 PM In reply to

but it would be very very difficult to blend with the existing paint...hint ...its a red metallic

2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au