Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Who's ordering a 946

Last post 09-03-2013 05:13 PM by steve@ace. 70 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-24-2013 02:12 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Re: Who's ordering a 946

A Suzuki Alto totally agree ,actually the Suzuki Alto has lot more features than a Vespa 946 for the money.

eviladrian:

In its defense, the 946 costs less than a Suzuki Alto and is a lot better looking!

I guess if there are blokes who will drop a million dollars on a Bugatti, there should be a couple of folks who'll stump up the extra few grand for a nicer body.  You'll get just as many looks as the guy in the Bug, plus people won't think you're a drug dealer! Wink

• 04-25-2013 11:54 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

I really thought we were in for a number of these being sold. I've heard of two or three dealers with a couple of deposits each but that's about the extent of it. 

Was thinking this was going to be bigger. Seems price is an issue. 

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 04-25-2013 01:31 PM In reply to

allen:

Was thinking this was going to be bigger. Seems price is an issue.

Price is always an issue, regardless of what you buy. There has to be an element of "percieved value" and I afraid that to me the 946 does not represent good value for money no matter how pretty the body work may be. When all is said and done it is still after all only a 150cc Vespa.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 04-25-2013 02:23 PM In reply to

I like the 964 styling and I would use it as an OK scoot for around town..but not Fwy riding...and at $12999 for a 150 scoot around town...its not for me...certainly not at the price point of $12,999

Pricing

UK  GBP 7812 = A$ 11597

USA US  9950 = A$  9675

AUS price of A$ 12,999 speaks for itself

some U.S posts on same subject indicates that there is not much of a take up with pre orders there either.....general concensus is price is to high and a issue in general

cheers Mike

• 04-25-2013 07:23 PM In reply to

allen:
    Seems price is an issue. 

No kidding! This is so stupid though... they've got a great design. If they'd just put it into production as a regular model at regular prices, it would undoubtedly sell like hot cakes and I'm sure they'd recoup their costs in no time. But no - they had to be clever! I hope they burn.

• 04-26-2013 12:12 PM In reply to

allen:
    Seems price is an issue

Well, yes.

There are some high-end US dealers holding deposits, but not many - eg Vespa Sherman Oaks holding about 5, and they're the biggest Vespa seller in the US, in the wealthiest community in the US.  And that's at under $10,000 USD.  The US chatter is it's too expensive, even for Vespisti .. but there is an enthuiasm there, so it's probably only a matter time .. I think $10K is the magic threshold  - under 10K and eventually you'll get a sales book, over it and you won't.

Who sets the Australian pricing? If it's PSI adding a premium over Piaggio then PSI need a reality check. Otherwise Piaggio do.

Either way, the premium from an LX150 street price is 100% (LX being the existing premium150).  It's too high, even with ABS and traction control (on a 150???).  I think a 50% premium might be bearable - say on the road at $9,500 to $10,000. But 100%? I don't know anyone who'd pay that sort of premium, even among my BMW bike mates (and some of those guys will pay silly premiums for limited editions).

I'm really, really pleased to see PSI / Piaggio bringing in the BV350, but otherwise I think they don't really 'get' the Aussie premium scooter market.  I'd gladly trade up my 250 GTS for a 300 with ABS, as would a few other riders I know, but no ABS is available here. Opportunity missed.  And then this pricing is OTT.  Whatever they're smokin', I want some!

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 04-26-2013 12:50 PM In reply to

Three and a half grand dearer than the US, bearing in mind that the US price also includes Federal and State taxes and any other costs associated with getting the thing into your garage at home then the only thing that I can put it down to is once again the ubiquitous Australian Pr1ck Tax.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 04-28-2013 06:10 AM In reply to

• iky
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2012
    • Sydney
    • Posts 54

It is such a dissapointment that the price makes it so unaccessible to the majority of Vespa fans.  If it was a 250 / 300 I would have gone for it - but as a 150, it just doesn't make sense regardless of how cute it looks.

I do look forward to seeing them fly around the streets of Sydney

It is all about VESPA!
    Started with a Orange Vespa S125ie.
    Then a Yellow Vespa GTS 250ie.
    Followed by a Arancio Competizione (Orange) Vespa GTS 300 i.e SS Special Edition.
    Now a GTV 300 Via Montenapoleone
  • 06-11-2013 07:22 PM In reply to

Oh, I've been away from the forums too long.  Too many interesting questions being posted! 

The 946 is not being built for performance or practicality, or all those other great concepts for which we've bought scooters.  It is built as a statement. As a piece of art.  As a celebration of a unique piece of transport.  As "haute couture". Highly labour intensive compared to other scooters, and certainly not mass market.  A bit of exclusivity is part of the equation. And the price reflects this.  Its not aimed at being owned by the majority of Vespa fans.

The fact that we compare it to other scooters, or to cars, shows how much we are stuck within our own paradigm.  We are happy to pay more for power, but not for style? I wonder if I went onto a sports car owners site, there would be the same level of negative commentary about a special edition Porsche or Ferrari?  Stop looking at what it isn't and start looking at what it is.  If you don't like it, that's quite alright, but don't dislike it just because of the cost.

We currently have seven people who want one (including myself, yeah baby!), with a couple more making their minds up.  We will be checking before the end of the month if they still wish to get them (given there have been some more info coming through on the fine details), because at the end of June we have to give our final numbers in.  Personally we are not ordering any extra floor stock, we'll just be getting those in for who ordered them.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 06-12-2013 08:06 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

I liked it when it was a one off build, though I'm sure it will still be a nice machine.

Do we know a revised retail yet for it being a regular yearly production model? $9,990 ?

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 06-12-2013 01:24 PM In reply to

allen:

I liked it when it was a one off build, though I'm sure it will still be a nice machine.

Do we know a revised retail yet for it being a regular yearly production model? $9,990 ?

Information has been the big challenge on this for sure.  The story has been adapting, and I think that has not helped people committing.  Perhaps the price will come down in later models, but I suspect not - however that is just my opinion. If they bring the price down, you aren't rewarding the early adopters, however if each release is distinct (as is the plan) then perhaps the kudos of being quite visibly "the guy who was in it from the start" will be enough.

I also liked the idea of the one-off build, but then again, once you've invested in the tooling, why would you then chuck it all out?  There are certainly pro's and con's to both strategies. 

As said, every car show we see concept cars on the stands, and every year people say "wouldn't it be great if they put this into production".  Well full marks to Piaggio I say, for actually making what originally was just a showcase for a new engine into something real.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 06-12-2013 01:47 PM In reply to

I think that the Bugatti/Suzuki comparison is interesting but we should remember that both of those vehicles would easily cruise between capital cities in some comfort at the speed limit with a few passengers.

The Vespa as a 150  can  not do this although a larger -and cheaper -scooter could.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 06-12-2013 01:49 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

steve@ace:
    Information has been the big challenge on this for sure.
    Not wrong here....

No argument that it's good they put this into production - but who is communicating the developments on this model?

This is now a GTV, though a good looking, hand built, one at that, but still a regular once a year model. I could imagine they will do some pretty special versions over the years and I can see co-branding with fashion labels or design houses in the future. It just has that feel about it.

The big thing for me was "one off". I can see the value at $12990, now as a regular model it needs to come down.

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 06-12-2013 04:06 PM In reply to

allen:
    The big thing for me was "one off". I can see the value at $12990, now as a regular model it needs to come down.

Don't think it works like that necessarily.  I don't think the price was determined due to its exclusivity, but rather as an extrapolation of the cost of production, such that because "its a regular model" it therefore should be cheaper.  If that is how much they need to charge to make it worth their while manufacturing them, that is what they need to charge. In some respects, that is actually a good thing!

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 08-03-2013 04:24 AM In reply to

Big Smile Is this the same Vespa firm that wanted to get the masses economically motorized after WW2 & do i now understand that the 946 is no longer a limited edition ?

Page 3 of 5 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au